Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 08:06 AM

137 posts, read 189,701 times

Advertisements

What’s the best way to make my front door hurricane ready?

I was told I can’t get a discount on insurance because it opens inward.

It might be hard to get it opening outward.

What other options are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 08:57 AM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
They do manufacture doors with increased durability for hurricanes and if replacing, installing as an outward open is possible. If you have glass surrounds or above the door make sure the glass is hurricane-rated/shatter-proof.

Old 01-19-2024, 09:31 AM

14,798 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDaCodet View Post

Might be worth jt to replace that door with one that opens outward. As strong as the material in the door may be, hurricane winds can overcome the locking mechanisms and blow the door inward, especially double doors. Otherwise, and in addition to, I'd also look at strong deadbolt locks, maybe double locks, perhaps a way inside to keep that door from blowing in. Our front door is metal, opens out, and has two panels of hurricane resistant glass in it.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:21 AM

30,131 posts, read 20,843,952 times
Quote:

Not much when it is a CAT 5 with gust to 200mph. Most front doors open inward.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:36 AM

14,798 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not much when it is a CAT 5 with gust to 200mph. Most front doors open inward.
The building codes here require that doors open outward. That's been in effect at least since the early 2000's, after hurricane Charley in Charlotte County ( and I imagine other surrounding counties too). That requirement became part of the building code in Miami-Dade county well before that, after hurricane Andrew in 1992. It not only includes the front door, it includes all doors on a house ( building). We had to replace our "opening in"front door when we rebuilt our house after hurricane Andrew, and the front and garage side doors in our house in Charlotte county, built in 2008, were required to be metal, and open out.

Though you're right about many front doors still opening in. Houses are not required to be retrofitted with opening out doors, unless the doors are being replaced anyway, or the houses are being remodeled/repaired and the construction costs exceed 50% ( may be less, would have to check) of the appraised value of the building, and new builds, of course. I'm sure there are still lots of older houses out there, especially in areas that have not been hit with major storms, where the
doors open in.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:24 AM

30,131 posts, read 20,843,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The building codes here require that doors open outward. That's been in effect at least since the early 2000's, after hurricane Charley in Charlotte County ( and I imagine other surrounding counties too). That requirement became part of the building code in Miami-Dade county well before that, after hurricane Andrew in 1992. It not only includes the front door, it includes all doors on a house ( building). We had to replace our "opening in"front door when we rebuilt our house after hurricane Andrew, and the front and garage side doors in our house in Charlotte county, built in 2008, were required to be metal, and open out.

Though you're right about many front doors still opening in. Houses are not required to be retrofitted with opening out doors, unless the doors are being replaced anyway, or the houses are being remodeled/repaired and the construction costs exceed 50% ( may be less, would have to check) of the appraised value of the building, and new builds, of course. I'm sure there are still lots of older houses out there, especially in areas that have not been hit with major storms, where the
doors open in.
My door was put in backwards and when ever it rains super hard and being blown sideways from the west water comes thru the door at the bottom. That is like 2 times a year at most.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:21 PM

4,561 posts, read 7,425,155 times
Just a reminder that in Florida if you have the doors changed out you'd better have it done by a licensed contractor with appropriate permits pulled. If you don't get the permits, your insurance company may not allow any discounts for the changes.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:07 PM

8,839 posts, read 5,869,810 times
Quote:

Ask your insurance company about their acceptance of a hurricane shutter for the door. These are similar to window shutters but cover the door.

These can be roll down, accordion style, or solid. Usually made of steel or aluminum, there are also clear shutters that are not as visibly disruptive. Although, if there is a hurricane, I don't think anyone cares about looks - only protection.

Most insurance companies require that any hurricane/impact windows/doors meet Miami/Dade standards. Not all shutters meet this standard.

This is an accordion style shutter.

https://www.doordepotinc.com/hurricane-shutters

Here is a roll down cover.

https://stormshielder.com/tampa-fron...ling-shutters/

Old 01-22-2024, 06:24 PM

5,447 posts, read 2,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Might be worth jt to replace that door with one that opens outward. As strong as the material in the door may be, hurricane winds can overcome the locking mechanisms and blow the door inward....
Agree.

It really matters.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:23 AM

9 posts, read 3,900 times
Most doors these days aren't going to get "blown inward" unless there is a massive hurricane. It's not worth the worry in replacing, or worth the expense.

Frankly I know too many expert handymen that can buy and replace a door (any door), the county wouldn't know the diff, neither would the insurance company - ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida