Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 05:39 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,699,967 times

Advertisements

Doing some long range planning.

Wife and I will be empty-nesters in 5 years. We currently live in the San Diego area, and of course, like many things about it, but I don't like the direction CA is going, and I doubt our kids will be able to afford to live here after college, so we're thinking about moving to another state.

We would be in our late 40's, so def not looking for any type of "senior living" development.

Must haves:

coastal city
waterfront home w/boat dock
upscale area
good restaurants/entertainment/shopping
proximity to decent airport
prefer a non-liberal/progressive area

I'll be selling my company when we move, so no need to factor in employment options or commute times.

I think the humidity would be the biggest change for us, but we'd probably spend most of the summer somewhere else anyway.

What city/area would you recommend for us? The only cities I've been to in FL are Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. Enjoyed Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:14 PM

236 posts, read 388,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

Wife and I will be empty-nesters in 5 years. We currently live in the San Diego area, and of course, like many things about it, but I don't like the direction CA is going, and I doubt our kids will be able to afford to live here after college, so we're thinking about moving to another state.

We would be in our late 40's, so def not looking for any type of "senior living" development.

Must haves:

coastal city
upscale area

I'll be selling my company when we move, so no need to factor in employment options or commute times.

I think the humidity would be the biggest change for us, but we'd probably spend most of the summer somewhere else anyway.

What city/area would you recommend for us? The only cities I've been to in FL are Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. Enjoyed Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks.

Based on your interest in upscale near the coast, below are my recommendations for Southeast and Southwest Florida since they are the regions I'm most familiar with. Most of the upscale coastal communities will be more moderate in their political beliefs, particularly compared to CA.

Southeast Florida: Stuart, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Aventura, Sunny Isles, Miami Beach, Key Biscayne.

Southwest Florida: Naples, Marco Island, Sarasota.

The Southeast Florida communities will have access to bigger airports and a more cosmopolitan/big city lifestyle. However, the Southwest Florida communities I listed are home to lots of wealthy people and will certainly have lots in the way of restaurants and nightlife.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:38 AM

5,742 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Thanks Manny.

This helps give me some areas to research.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:32 PM

34 posts, read 37,189 times
We live in San Diego now and are looking to move to Florida as well but sooner than you as we are older. We were there in August and really liked Ormond Beach/North Daytona Beach and will go back in February to check the area out again. We liked the 55 plus Margaritaville community in particular. We were in Naples and Fort Myers briefly as well and didn't give them much of a chance but those are much bigger areas and Naples is more upscale than we need/care for. Ormond Beach reminded us of old school Carlsbad, it has a small town feel and slower pace of life but also the water is there and fun bars and restaurants so we will be out looking in Feb at the area to ensure we still think that's the direction we will be moving in. Good luck to you!

Old 11-05-2019, 12:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Thanks Manny.

This helps give me some areas to research.
Also check Volusia County, away from Daytona proper. I was born and raised in SoCal, lived in SD County twice and now live in Volusia County on the East coast and ... the area I am in is very much like Costa Mesa/Newport Beach where I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Lots of money here, but you would not know it as people do not flaunt it. Laid back with a lot of things to do and a LOT of restaurants and close to Orlando.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:54 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri2455 View Post
We live in San Diego now and are looking to move to Florida as well but sooner than you as we are older. We were there in August and really liked Ormond Beach/North Daytona Beach and will go back in February to check the area out again. We liked the 55 plus Margaritaville community in particular. We were in Naples and Fort Myers briefly as well and didn't give them much of a chance but those are much bigger areas and Naples is more upscale than we need/care for. Ormond Beach reminded us of old school Carlsbad, it has a small town feel and slower pace of life but also the water is there and fun bars and restaurants so we will be out looking in Feb at the area to ensure we still think that's the direction we will be moving in. Good luck to you!
Yep, hope it works for you.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:38 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Have you considered the panhandle? Destin area? Cooler winters, best beaches in the world (IMO) lots of upscale-ness and yet earthy and not liberal. Lots to do, lots to explore.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:33 PM

34 posts, read 37,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep, hope it works for you.
Thank you, Me too!!

Old 11-06-2019, 08:56 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:

Must haves:

coastal city
upscale area

Thanks.

Hey! I've been lurking around the San Diego forum and Orange County forum and remember seeing your name.

What's your budget, your requirement for a home with a boat dock will eliminate most places unless you have a high budget.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Have you considered the panhandle? Destin area? Cooler winters, best beaches in the world (IMO) lots of upscale-ness and yet earthy and not liberal. Lots to do, lots to explore.
Though the nearest decent-sized airport to most of the panhandle is New Orleans, which is still a significant hike to the state line even from Pensacola. (Though if you're okay with connecting, you will eventually learn to stop worrying and love, or at least appreciate, the ATL.)

I'd have a look at Jacksonville which is, IMO, nicer than greater Daytona at the top end and tends to fly under the radar a bit in terms of relocation awareness. Also a good number of little coastal surf towns, even if the waves aren't quite as good as you find in the Daytona-Cocoa Beach area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida