Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 AM

440 posts, read 2,425,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Just returned from a trip to Pensacola, but have not made it yet to Panama City. Are they totally different, or can they even be compared at all? For the average working joe, with retirement in mind for the future. Thanks.
What did you think about Pensacola?
We lived in Panama City many years ago ... have definitely visited Pensacola many times ... we would imagine them to have some similarities and some differences too ... but unless you've lived in both, it might be hard to say ... we live about 2 hours east of Pcola and about 30 min west of PC ... in regard to employment, it's very service oriented on our stretch of beaches along the Scenic Hwy 30a ... we would imagine there to be more variety in employment opportunities in the bigger places -- both Pensacola and Panama City. Anyhow, let us know if there are any specifics we can help you with .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM

393 posts, read 1,736,054 times
Actually there is. To answer about opinion of Pcola....well.....Let me just say it was not what I had pictured in my mind. Used to live in Sarasota and came with the expectation of a bit of that in mind. Not fair, I know, but hard not to. It is not similar to Sarasota in any way except for the gulf. I'm over that now, but did not see much progress there. I mean very little expansion or new businesses going in. Usually that is an indicator of growth and health of a town. And the folks we came across were not as friendly as Sarasota. We tried to speak with some of the locals, and they just kind of quit talking in the middle of a conversation, like they lost interest. Strange. I need to work in a hospital, I am an obstetrics nurse, for 10 more years before retirement. Hubby is retired. We are "interviewing" several cities, and I love the gulf coast. Tampa is too busy. Have another trip slotted for midJuly and plan to look farther along the panhandle. I know Pcola is an older city, but that is not an excuse to let it go. There was chain link fencing around many of the businesses, lots and lots of what appeared to be homeless folks, and no Publix! Gulf breeze was nice, but just a big development really, and I'm sure getting homeowners is a nightmare, and very costly. We like a bit of elbow room, so we drove in a big circle to Pace, Milton, and up to Jay and then down thru Cantonment and several other towns and back to Pcola. It was the wierdest place we every interviewed for our needs. We are caucasion, but we had an easier and more productive time with the black folks we spoke to than the whites. They were honest and relaxed. The whites seemed guarded and suspicious of us. Not meaning to start any kind of battle here, just our own personal observations. Anyway, we would like to continue up the coast on the next trip, and perhaps recheck Pcola and look at other neighborhoods. Want to stay below 200K for an easier retirement. Thanks so much for any help you can give us.
And to the original poster, I did not mean to hijack your thread, and would be glad to post a new one, as it might be a bit confusing to the forum since we have similar names.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:39 AM

440 posts, read 2,425,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Actually there is. To answer about opinion of Pcola....well.....Let me just say it was not what I had pictured in my mind. Used to live in Sarasota and came with the expectation of a bit of that in mind. Not fair, I know, but hard not to. It is not similar to Sarasota in any way except for the gulf. I'm over that now, but did not see much progress there. I mean very little expansion or new businesses going in. Usually that is an indicator of growth and health of a town. And the folks we came across were not as friendly as Sarasota. We tried to speak with some of the locals, and they just kind of quit talking in the middle of a conversation, like they lost interest. Strange. I need to work in a hospital, I am an obstetrics nurse, for 10 more years before retirement. Hubby is retired. We are "interviewing" several cities, and I love the gulf coast. Tampa is too busy. Have another trip slotted for midJuly and plan to look farther along the panhandle. I know Pcola is an older city, but that is not an excuse to let it go. There was chain link fencing around many of the businesses, lots and lots of what appeared to be homeless folks, and no Publix! Gulf breeze was nice, but just a big development really, and I'm sure getting homeowners is a nightmare, and very costly. We like a bit of elbow room, so we drove in a big circle to Pace, Milton, and up to Jay and then down thru Cantonment and several other towns and back to Pcola. It was the wierdest place we every interviewed for our needs. We are caucasion, but we had an easier and more productive time with the black folks we spoke to than the whites. They were honest and relaxed. The whites seemed guarded and suspicious of us. Not meaning to start any kind of battle here, just our own personal observations. Anyway, we would like to continue up the coast on the next trip, and perhaps recheck Pcola and look at other neighborhoods. Want to stay below 200K for an easier retirement. Thanks so much for any help you can give us.
And to the original poster, I did not mean to hijack your thread, and would be glad to post a new one, as it might be a bit confusing to the forum since we have similar names.
Thanks for taking the time to clue us in on how your visit in Pensacola was and sorry to hear that it was somewhat strange for you. If you have an opportunity, scoot over a couple of hours east, before Panama City to the Beaches of South Walton and the Sacred Heart Hospital of the Emerald Coast.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:31 PM

120 posts, read 461,185 times
Panama City Beach IMO is a dump, I would not waste my time there.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM

12 posts, read 43,279 times
I am also considering relocating to the panama city area i am also a single mother of 2 a 7 year old and a 15 month old. don't know anyone there but pretty convinced this is the area i will be moving also i am a chritian looking to make friend in the area with similar faiths keep in touch maybe by the time i get there you would already be styteled and can show me around or vice versa

Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Panama city is not a good area to move to for kids. Please save yourself the trouble and move to Tallahassee

Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,662 times
I hate to sound like such a homer, but have you checked out Mobile-Baldwin, Alabama ?

Mobile has a much, much wider variety of jobs than Pensacola, for whatever reason, and frankly I like the quality of life in Baldwin even better, as I own condos in both Daphne and Gulf Shores.

I'm not trying to scare any of you "young Christian mothers" when I say this, but please do yourself a favor and visit Panama City Beach for Spring Break at least once before you make your decision. That will go a long way in determining whether it's truly the place where you want to raise your families. For some, having the seasonal rush of tourists and parties in town is exciting, but for others, having hundreds of thousands of drunk, teenage, MTV-wanna-bes in town is a nightmare.

If you can afford it, then the Destin/South Walton area is great for families. I'm not as fond of Fort Walton Beach proper (seems very blue-collar, like where service people who work in Destin live, who can't afford to live in Destin).

So, in a nutshell, I'd say that if you're looking for a "Panhandle beach lifestyle" to raise a family, then if you're rich, I'd rank Destin/South Walton #1, and if you're middle class, I'd rank Baldwin County, AL #1.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 8,921 times
Default Pc

As someone who was born and raised in PC and is currently in the process of moving back after 10 years away, I thought I should comment, especially to the people a few posts up. I don't know if you've already made decisions on your move or not but...
It actually is a really good place to raise kids, especially if you're pretty churchy. Lots of churches to pick from, smaller town, pretty safe, good schools and it's finally getting some decent shops in.
Of course the beaches are beautiful, but most people who actually live and work in PC don't go anywhere near PCB during spring break. Yes, there are tons of drunk Georgians and Alabamians -- that's why people with families usually go to St. Andrews State Park or down the way a little bit to Port St Joe or Destin. Don't listen to the person who says you shouldn't move there solely based on the beach scene.
That being said -- you may want to research the job scene first. It can be slim at times, but that totally depends on what your field is. As the person who earlier was talking about the culture shock after CA -- yes, it can be kind of backwoods, after all, it really is Southern Alabama. Prepare for less openmindedness, especially after living in Seattle (i have also lived in Seattle and would move back there in a heartbeat-- i even liked the weather!). As for things to do-- besides the beach and movies, it's a little skimpy on the culture. The college does do some great theatre shows, there actually is an orchestra, and there are TONS of places to eat. But to get bigger concerts, museums etc, you're going to have to drive. To Pensacola, Tallahasse, or even Birmingham or Jacksonville.
It's not for everyone -- but it is a good place to raise kids. Good luck in your endeavors.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,740 times
I am gettting divorced and my son is in the military in P.C. I went to visit and was not that impressed with the school system in Callaway but liked Lynn Haven. Does anyone know how the job market is there or within a 20 to 25 minute driving range. I have a 12 year old and am needing a good school system for her. If there is anyother place close to callaway/parker that is good and safe with good school system let me know. And also needing to know about good rental places that take dogs. Perfer house with fenced yard. Any insight would really help looking to start over but need to make right decision, don't want to up root my daughter and make her miserable. Thank You to all that reply.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:12 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
move a couple hours east to Tallahassee, you will be glad you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida