Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 08:24 AM

363 posts, read 443,073 times

Advertisements

Side note: I got a masters at FIU.... and I don't speak spanish. You don't need to speak Spanish, but you will hear Spanish.... and if you hear Spanish, they are not talking to you and it's probably not your business anyway...

If you don't like hearing Spanish, don't go to South Florida.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 08:39 AM

154 posts, read 75,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
Nothing is wrong with colleges in Florida, I was answering the OP's question as it related to their particular situation. Reading the OP's past posts, it would seem that to stay in Atlanta would be a better fit for the OP.
Staying in ATL may or may not be. But as of now its at the bottom of my list. I'm not concerned about having to be somewhere with a ton of jobs, or the school with the highest reputation. GA I have no chance of getting into Tech, and likely slim chance of UGA. Not real keen on GA State. Def. not GA Southern. For GA I plan to try for UGA anyway, and considering Valdosta State. Though VSU may be just a little too small and out there. IDK, a buddy of mine went there, but much different, he was a football star there. But he hated for reasons I won't say on here.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:41 AM

154 posts, read 75,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post
Side note: I got a masters at FIU.... and I don't speak spanish. You don't need to speak Spanish, but you will hear Spanish.... and if you hear Spanish, they are not talking to you and it's probably not your business anyway...

No Spanish doesn't bother me. I'm actually taking Spanish this coming semester at the CC I'm going to.
Where I live in Atlanta it's ALL Spanish. I mean like the businesses, everything. The leasing people at my apt. I tried to get a haircut at this plaza, figured someone there had to speak at least a word or two of English. Nope, nothing. Same with the restaurants around there. Just wondering if FIU is that drastic.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:47 AM

25,735 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post

What year/s were you there? 20 years ago it wasnt all Spanish like it is now.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I guess I should address the original thread also;

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAA5000 View Post
I've posted elsewhere more or less the same question. Call it wanderlust, the grass is greener syndrome, or whatever...But I am trying to choose where I want to go to school to finish my bachelor's. I will be there about 3 years, and hopefully higher education after the B.A/S at the same place. I would prefer to find a school where it's a place I wouldn't mind staying and settling down for a while after school. Doesn't have to be that town per se, but the surrounding area, the state. Been around a lot, know a lot of people, heard lots of different opinions, etc. have my list of places I'm considering, tuition isn't a factor, nor is my actual choice of major e.g. not concerned with if one school is better than another depending if I take Physics or Basket Weaving. The quality of life, wanting to stay in the area after school, etc. matter more, so humour me!
What is your budget for living expenses? That will also be a factor. Places like Miami will be on the higher side of cost of living, whereas if you go to UF, that area (assuming you are commuting) is lower cost.

Quote:
Been to Florida quite a few times, Tampa, Sarasota, St. Pete, Pensacola, Jax, Lake City. Didn't care for Pensacola. Liked the rest of the areas. Never been to Orlando or Miami, don't know what to think, always hear great or horrible, nothing much in-between or very rational.
I am not a fan of the panhandle or generally anything past Orlando.

Quote:
Florida Gulf Coast Univ.
Univ of South Florida
Univ of Central Florida
Daytona State College
Florida Atlantic Univ
University of Florida (not sure if I will be able to get accepted)
As mentioned, wondering about your daily living budget. What about University of Miami also?

Quote:
Main things that scare about Florida is the craziness, Florida has by far surpassed Cali on the bat-***** crazy scale. Hurricanes, idk, should I be concerned? I'm not so worried about one itself, its more the chaos it seems like when they think one might hit and everything comes to a standstill on pins and needles waiting to see if it hits..???
The only reason Florida hits the news is because we are the only state that has such police records open to the public, so news organizations scan daily for weird events to get the clicks, some media even have a direct relationship with police departments to get such information, so it ends up inflating Florida as some sort of area disproportionately full of crazy people. Fact is we probably are, but, not tot he extent the media shows it. And this is because as said, other states do not allow this stuff so openly public.

The only chaos with a hurricane is if you failed to plan and try getting to the grocery store for some items last minute. I live in Miami, along the ocean, never had an issue with these storms.

Quote:
But the people, i dont remember anything too off the wall there. But watching the news...good lord! I'm scared of white guys with face tattoos and gold teeth, Kodak Black...are these creatures everywhere or are the areas of the schools i listed somewhat safe from those bottom-feeders?
I cannot even recall the last time I saw characters like that. They are rare, you would have to go out of your way to even associate with them. Sure, head to Aventura Mall and might come across a few out of the thousands of people there.

As for the schools, straight up normal from my experience.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
LOL...I looked at it some more, wow looks like a really great school. How does it compare to Florida Atlantic?
I believe FAU is in Boca?

They seem pretty similar. Although I think FIU has a huge hispanic student body doesn't it? Don't have a problem with that, but don't want to be stuck everything/one is in Spanish and I'm don't understand anyone..lol
Disclosure, my wife is a graduate of FIU.

It does have a large Hispanic body, but English is the language there, everyone speaks it, no issues with not knowing it, my wife does not know it at all and had no issues. It is a US academic institution, meaning English will be the academic language of instruction there.

The campus is nice as hell, like a botanical park or something. It is large and works well with commuter students as it has lots of parking, and easy access from the highway and 8th street, so you are not having to crowd downtown or something to get to it.

As for comparison to FAU, have no idea. FAU is in Boca, so you may have an easier time finding a lower cost place to rent than in Miami. Boca is pricey, but areas around it are lower cost.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:54 PM

363 posts, read 443,073 times
I agree with the above post on FIU.....

Old 11-30-2019, 12:51 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I love how the OP doesn't care about the quality or reputation of the school....or if there are many jobs in the area LOL, like why even bother then? Isn't the point of going to school to get a good education to further your lot in life and not be some crumb bum? It sounds like OP just wants an excuse to live by a beach and loaf around.... and tell everyone "but im in school tho.."

Old 12-02-2019, 08:09 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
When I picked an undergraduate school, I picked it because it was excellent in the department and major I got my degree in. I could get in, pay in-state tuition, use my GI Bill and was in a place I liked.

Besides location, what are important factors in the school you choose? Will they accept you as a student and in the department? Will they accept your credits? What are you looking for? Party school, good football, great theater group, intermural synchronized swimming? What do you want from your experience after 3, 4 or 5 years?

Old 12-03-2019, 01:50 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Quote:

....Main things that scare about Florida is the craziness....
The schools you mentioned are all very good schools. As to your point above...Florida-Man is not an actual thing. Florida gets a bad rap due to our extremely lax privacy laws called the Sunshine Law. Virtually anything and everything is available to the public, to news outlets, etc, so for the media to get ahold of a "crazy" story isn't that difficult. We did it to ourselves what with trying to be so transparent, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just that now every single tidbit of dirty laundry gets aired for the rest of the Country to see, when almost every other States have the exact same Florida-Man type issues, but they have them hidden from public view.

Come down for a week or 2 and explore, and I think that you'll find FL is a pretty great place. Best of luck.
That said...GO BULLS! (USF)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida