Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 09:29 AM

10 posts, read 10,310 times

Advertisements

We finally moved from Ohio to Riverview, FL in mid October. It is now December. I was stunned to discover that in a state where snow is non-existent, the Christmas décor I see in stores is not of a coastal look, but is very much that of which you would see in states with snow, such as frosty wreaths, etc. and snow men.

I found it strangely out of place and expected to see Christmas décor reflecting the climate of Florida. (We did purchase 4 seahorse ornaments). Could it be the offerings are to please those who have moved to Florida from the Midwest and east coast? Do long time Florida residents find this as odd as I did?

Also, and understandably in Ohio, people make an effort to string Christmas lights over their homes before the frigid weather strikes. The ONLY Christmas lights/garlands I've seen to date in Riverview, is at the entrance of a development off of Boyett Rd.

I'm not trying to be judgmental, but do people here decorate later, or is it not a big deal? I love seeing Christmas lights on the exteriors of homes or in bushes and trees. It's very uplifting and lends to the Christmas spirit. I know the true meaning of Christmas and do attend church, but I'm just curious about the traditions here. Please enlighten me. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 11:52 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,701,118 times
Selection mostly, hard to find and/or more expensive for anything past what the generic decorations stores like Walmart and Home Depot sell.

Typically at least from my own observation in Miami, people start doing the decorating right after Thanksgiving. I was out yesterday and there were a lot people people hanging lights/decorations, in the evening, could see a lot lit up.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:32 PM

Wow, that's good to know that at least Miami is decorating. I'm thinking if people let stores here know they'd like having Floridan décor, MAYBE they'd start doing something about it. I think it would look beautiful! I think I'll write them. Can't hurt. Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 12-01-2019, 01:42 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,701,118 times
Well, it is a thing with all box stores, and even non-box stores, meaning they do not overly appeal to the specific area, and just offer generic stuff applicable to the broadest area possible. That is why a lot of clothes sold here are rather absurd for the climate.

Marshalls of all retailers, seem best at serving local areas.

Places like Walmart or Home Depot, large box stores, may have a very small selection of items specifically for the local area/demographics, but it is a very small selection. I was just at Home Depot and did not see anything tropical like for Christmas decorations.

Key West on the other hand, the small stores there will have tropical like tree decorations and stuff. If look around online at Amazon for example, might find some outdoor, tropical Christmas things.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:45 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,723,890 times
I believe Christmas decorations for sale in stores are the same everywhere. Despite the weather here, the American mindset surrounding the secular traditions of Christmas center around cold weather.

In Orlando, there seems to be a fair to good amount of decorated homes. I know the retail world switches to Christmas on November 1, but many people are just getting started. It’s only December 1.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:18 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,393,995 times
Beall’s and Beall’s outlet always seem to have more coastal-oriented decor for everyday and also the holidays.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:12 PM

Great thoughts all around and thank you so much! Sparkly mangos are dancing in my head! (:

Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 PM

981 posts, read 2,699,898 times
Riverview isn't all that far from Clearwater... You should check out Robert's Christmas Wonderland at 2951 Gulf to Bay Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33759

Old 12-04-2019, 12:43 PM

167 posts, read 189,028 times
Living in Orlando for 20+ years the thought has never crossed my mind that we should be decorating a "tropical Christmas"
To each their own, I suppose, but I don't see the appeal.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:55 PM

29 posts, read 12,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving from Ohio View Post
We finally moved from Ohio to Riverview, FL in mid October. It is now December. I was stunned to discover that in a state where snow is non-existent, the Christmas décor I see in stores is not of a coastal look, but is very much that of which you would see in states with snow, such as frosty wreaths, etc. and snow men.

I found it strangely out of place and expected to see Christmas décor reflecting the climate of Florida. (We did purchase 4 seahorse ornaments). Could it be the offerings are to please those who have moved to Florida from the Midwest and east coast? Do long time Florida residents find this as odd as I did?

Also, and understandably in Ohio, people make an effort to string Christmas lights over their homes before the frigid weather strikes. The ONLY Christmas lights/garlands I've seen to date in Riverview, is at the entrance of a development off of Boyett Rd.

I'm not trying to be judgmental, but do people here decorate later, or is it not a big deal? I love seeing Christmas lights on the exteriors of homes or in bushes and trees. It's very uplifting and lends to the Christmas spirit. I know the true meaning of Christmas and do attend church, but I'm just curious about the traditions here. Please enlighten me. Thank you!
#1 most of our Christmas decorations are made in China too. If you want that tropical Christmas look you’ll need to go toward the coasts.
#2 there are plenty of Christmas lights here, the major difference is that many in Florida that hang lights for whatever reason put their lights up once and continue to use them as house lighting. There are at least a dozen examples here locally.
#3 here where I’m at (Keystone Heights) we have far more churches than liquor stores and bars, and there are no problems with desecration of nativity scenes or other displays. Maybe it’s just the area that you are in.
#4 if it does not feel Christmasy enough, maybe by you hanging up your decorations you will inspire others to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida