Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 02:37 PM

18 posts, read 13,154 times

Advertisements

Just curious, there's this perception that Florida is "full of old people" and I was really looking into a place like Chicago, but since I'm allowed to move to the state and work remote I can live anywhere in the state.

My salary will be $50k, I would prefer not to have a car (like in Chicago I wouldn't need one) but that's not a make or break deal.

What would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 04:07 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
You’ll probably want a car wherever you go in Florida. But to live Somewhat car free, you can achieve this Downtown Miami, Downtown Orlando, Downtown Tampa, and possibly Downtown St Pete. I work downtown Orlando and live nearby, and quite a few young professionals manage without a car.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:42 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,319 times
$50K is really not a lot of money and prices you out of most walkable areas in the state. Walkable high density downtown areas where you don't have to worry about getting shot or assaulted are pretty pricey. You have more of a suburb commuter type budget away from the city centers which is not walkable.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:50 PM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto519 View Post
Just curious, there's this perception that Florida is "full of old people" and I was really looking into a place like Chicago, but since I'm allowed to move to the state and work remote I can live anywhere in the state.

My salary will be $50k, I would prefer not to have a car (like in Chicago I wouldn't need one) but that's not a make or break deal.

What would you recommend?
If you have 50K as a salary you will hate Florida.

Next thread: This place costs too much!

This video is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg

Old 12-09-2019, 04:52 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
$50K is really not a lot of money and prices you out of most walkable areas in the state. Walkable high density downtown areas where you don't have to worry about getting shot or assaulted are pretty pricey. You have more of a suburb commuter type budget away from the city centers which is not walkable.
Would agree that downtown areas are trendy and therefore pricey or opt for less expensive but requires a car to get around. Most FL cities are not known for their public transportation options.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:26 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You’ll probably want a car wherever you go in Florida. But to live Somewhat car free, you can achieve this Downtown Miami, Downtown Orlando, Downtown Tampa, and possibly Downtown St Pete. I work downtown Orlando and live nearby, and quite a few young professionals manage without a car.
Possibly Downtown St Pete? It's Walk Score is a 91, which rivals Downtown Miami and is the highest in the state (with Miami) with a cost of living around 1/3 less. It has more than twice the downtown residents of Orlando or Tampa as well.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:59 AM

351 posts, read 320,757 times
Downtown St. Pete is pricey in walkable areas. You may have to apartment/house share at 50K a year.

We live in Gulfport which is very walkable as well as bike-able. House prices are high, but you may find a small rental guest house (most are more like studios). Usually the owners are very selective on who they rent to as they usually live in the main house on the same property. Often they rent word of mouth or just a sign in their yard. I would guess difficult to get into one without meeting the owner face-to-face.

Gulfport is a fun town, very liberal. About Gulfport Florida | Gulfport Florida

Old 12-10-2019, 08:08 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
Downtown St. Pete is pricey in walkable areas. You may have to apartment/house share at 50K a year.

We live in Gulfport which is very walkable as well as bike-able. House prices are high, but you may find a small rental guest house (most are more like studios). Usually the owners are very selective on who they rent to as they usually live in the main house on the same property. Often they rent word of mouth or just a sign in their yard. I would guess difficult to get into one without meeting the owner face-to-face.

Gulfport is a fun town, very liberal. About Gulfport Florida | Gulfport Florida
A single 30 year old will be bored stiff in Gulfport. I think OP should look into places near downtown Tampa or Orlando. Might have to get a roommate, though.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:12 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Miami - Your top choices would be Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Downtown, Brickell and South Beach. Living without a car would not be too horrible. Between the decent public transit, scooters, and rideshare companies, you'll be able to get around alright. The issue would be cost. I believe there are plenty of young single people living in the above neighborhoods making less than 50k, but they're not living in super nice places or living alone.

Orlando and Tampa - I won't go into breaking down neighborhoods as I'm less familiar with them, but I do find there are decent places to live without a car. It just generally won't be quite as well connected to other walkable places as Miami, and so your comprehensive carless lifestyle might be a little bit more constrained. Cost again should be workable if you aren't in the swankiest place or if you can get roommates.

Jacksonville - You would pretty much want to be in Jax Beach or in one of the urban core neighborhoods (I'd aim for Riverside or Murray Hill). In Jax the connectivity/carless experience would be even worse, so you'd have to rely on uber much more if you wanted to leave your particular bubble, and Jax is also on a lower tier for single, young people. It's certainly not old (in fact is the youngest average age of the major metros in FL) but this is because of a lack of an outsized retired demographic and also due to having tons of middle aged/young families. But for single millennials it is lacking compared to the others. The only reason to consider Jax over the other places is that 50k will get you a comfortable lifestyle in the walkable neighborhoods I mentioned above. And for some people, the lesser number of young, single professionals is still acceptable to them.

It will really depend on your habits and hobbies, but I'd say personally I would probably not get a car in any of these cities. I would live in one of the primary walkable areas, and I would use rideshare quite a bit. All of that said, Chicago is still the best option if you are wanting to live a real urban lifestyle. It is by far the best choice for going carless and also meeting other young professionals. 50k would allow for a decent lifestyle with a roommate.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:29 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Possibly Downtown St Pete? It's Walk Score is a 91, which rivals Downtown Miami and is the highest in the state (with Miami) with a cost of living around 1/3 less. It has more than twice the downtown residents of Orlando or Tampa as well.
I’m aware, and I actually find it much more walkable than downtown Miami (which isn’t all that impressive from an urban build standpoint, IMO. (Miami Beach is a different story.)

Downtown St Pete is just remarkably expensive. That’s why I said “possibly.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida