Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 12:17 AM

676 posts, read 720,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
My 89 year old father is retired in Ann Arbor MI. When I lived in Florida for 15 years I tried to get him to move down near me and while he considered it, it was only to be closer to his kids, not to be in Florida. And if you talked to him and knew him you'd understand why. It's easier for him to be truly independent at his age in a college town. Great public transportation, lots of things to do for all ages, good medical facilities. I expect places like Iowa City are similar. He would have had less independence moving down near us. If you get past the cold weather of up north, Florida doesn'tt really have a lot to offer retirees as vcompared to other states. If someone is OK with the weather up north, they're likely better off there.

And I get that snowbirding is the best of all possible worlds but, sorry, many can't afford that.

Wow. I do soooo much more here. Maybe I missed something. Most likely depends on where in Florida I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 12:28 AM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Wow. I do soooo much more here. Maybe I missed something. Most likely depends on where in Florida I guess.
Again its person dependent. My parents like to hike, trek the city and shop/dine, love the mountains (we lived in a town with two 600 foot hills), cliffs, and rock climbs. For outdoorsy active people, where we live is just so much better despite some cold months. Although this week is like 55.. a little warm for winter. Kinda short on the snow.

We frequent this mountain here, 70 miles away, breathtaking views:
https://live.staticflickr.com/2601/4...101265b6_z.jpg

Just living in a walkable area where you dont have to have a car to go everywhere helps older folk stay active and inclined to do things. But again, everyone's different.
My rents start off here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3424...7i13312!8i6656
Then they walk an hour to their favorite coffee shop somewhere near here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3588...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3004...!7i7352!8i3676 And go back to the community at night.
When Its Summer we go here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7271...7i11574!8i5787
Winter We Substitute if we want a quick drive: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4896...7i10240!8i5120

Again im saying this because everyone is different. Some people like walkable/urban environments, some people like heat, some people like cold, some people like the flatlands of FL .. everyone is different.

For Ann Arbor theres tons of things to do as well. Its a college town with a variety of foods and restaurants, close to the great lakes, Detroit, DTW airport and a plethora of activities to do. It is underrated, and I know Ann Arbor doesnt sound desirable, but the town is actually great. The Midwest really has a special charm.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 01-11-2020 at 01:01 AM..

Old 01-11-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Again its person dependent. My parents like to hike, trek the city and shop/dine, love the mountains (we lived in a town with two 600 foot hills), cliffs, and rock climbs. For outdoorsy active people, where we live is just so much better despite some cold months. Although this week is like 55.. a little warm for winter. Kinda short on the snow.

We frequent this mountain here, 70 miles away, breathtaking views:
https://live.staticflickr.com/2601/4...101265b6_z.jpg

Just living in a walkable area where you dont have to have a car to go everywhere helps older folk stay active and inclined to do things. But again, everyone's different.
My rents start off here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3424...7i13312!8i6656
Then they walk an hour to their favorite coffee shop somewhere near here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3588...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3004...!7i7352!8i3676 And go back to the community at night.
When Its Summer we go here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7271...7i11574!8i5787
Winter We Substitute if we want a quick drive: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4896...7i10240!8i5120

Again im saying this because everyone is different. Some people like walkable/urban environments, some people like heat, some people like cold, some people like the flatlands of FL .. everyone is different.

I totally agree. We are all different. I live in a busy urban area right here. Your area looks lovely, gorgeous even. (Except for the snow lol). Where I lived up north wasn’t nearly as pretty. So nice.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I totally agree. We are all different. I live in a busy urban area right here. Your area looks lovely, gorgeous even. (Except for the snow lol). Where I lived up north wasn’t nearly as pretty. So nice.
Its beautiful but its $ since there is a huge demand to be there, like Miami or even Fort Lauderdale. But Im sure every city has places like what I just showed. Raleigh and Greensboro are where my parents want to go next and although not mountainous as that, are equally as beautiful with more of a laid back vibe. NC is stunning in every regard. Before I get too bias, so is every state. But then you get the Treasure Coast of Florida for someone who loves a good time, cheap/good drinks, but beautiful beaches all year round. Orlando is great if you dont LOVE the water, but you like the water, like theme parks, good communities and the diversty with the weather. Theres a certain niche and weight to everything Ive noticed. Although I dont 100% agree with Iowa, I dont LOVE the parameters for the rankings, Im sure Iowans are some of the nicest people out there. Maybe thats why?

Every metro has something, and I really love studying what other cities have.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its beautiful but its $ since there is a huge demand to be there, like Miami or even Fort Lauderdale. But Im sure every city has places like what I just showed. Raleigh and Greensboro are where my parents want to go next and although not mountainous as that, are equally as beautiful with more of a laid back vibe. NC is stunning in every regard. Before I get too bias, so is every state. But then you get the Treasure Coast of Florida for someone who loves a good time, cheap/good drinks, but beautiful beaches all year round. Orlando is great if you dont LOVE the water, but you like the water, like theme parks, good communities and the diversty with the weather. Theres a certain niche and weight to everything Ive noticed. Although I dont 100% agree with Iowa, I dont LOVE the parameters for the rankings, Im sure Iowans are some of the nicest people out there. Maybe thats why
Every metro has something, and I really love studying what other cities have.

Thanks so much for sharing. I’m quite happy you and your parents like Greensboro nc. I have a son who lives near there and who knows, as I age, I just might consider moving there.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing. I’m quite happy you and your parents like Greensboro nc. I have a son who lives near there and who knows, as I age, I just might consider moving there.
Its a nice community/city and my parents love the layout of the city. Ive never met a person who dislikes the Raleigh-Durham to Greensboro area. In all honesty, none. Visited Greensboro and was impressed with how well taken care of everything was. NC is a very very good state from my observation, and the taxes are great for retirement. Glad your son likes it as well, thats another positive review... Wish you luck!

Old 01-12-2020, 05:48 PM

29 posts, read 12,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I saw several Iowa license plates yesterday while I was out and about. I thought of this thread. I wonder how many Florida car tags they see in Iowa?
Not very many I would think.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:48 AM

835 posts, read 474,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
And yes, I do feel MUCH better about my decision to retired to Florida instead of Iowa, and I'm not hiding that! k
So by your own admission in the post above, you’re posting just to feel validated about your own decision, as I correctly opined in my first post.

Yes, there are people that would rather retire to Iowa than Florida: I didn’t get any “good laugh” out of that. It’s neither particularly humorous, shocking, nor even noteworthy that people retire to places other than Florida for all sorts of reasons, unless one wants to have a “good laugh” at someone else’s expense to feel better about themselves.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:48 AM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
So by your own admission in the post above, you’re posting just to feel validated about your own decision, as I correctly opined in my first post.

Yes, there are people that would rather retire to Iowa than Florida: I didn’t get any “good laugh” out of that. It’s neither particularly humorous, shocking, nor even noteworthy that people retire to places other than Florida for all sorts of reasons, unless one wants to have a “good laugh” at someone else’s expense to feel better about themselves.
I found it comical that a survey would list Iowa above Florida for places to retire to. For every 1 person that retires to Iowa, there's probably 10,000 that retire to Florida, and there are lots of good reasons for that.

I'm not laughing at other retirees, I'm laughing at the publication that printed the survey, and those who put the survey together, & came up with such zany results. I thought it would give other readers here a good chuckle. Most of the readers here got my point.

I cannot possibly "feel any better about myself", so you missed the mark w/ that comment. Maybe if I was 20 years old again, I might feel better , but I'd have to make all the same decisions I made the 1st time I was 20 to make sure I'd end up here in Florida again..and not Iowa!

This is my 3rd time I've moved to, and lived in, Florida. It took me 20 years of trying to get back to Florida after I left the last time. Thus, no vaildation needed....strike 2!

Is your last name O'Roni by chance? Step out of your box and lighten up a bit...life can be fun if you let it be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida