Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 05:39 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,113,149 times

Advertisements

I see what Publix is trying to do with Greenwise, but my opinion is that they are to late to the game.

They are trying to copy Whole Foods and all of the rest of the copy cats into the millennial popular health food grocery store trend.

The first Greenwise opened here in Tallahassee, and while I think the design of the store is nice and the food they offer is fine, I don’t see anything that differentiates them from Luckys market or earth fare or anyone else.

I kind of think Publix will pull back on the Greenwise stores in a few years and fold them back into Publix stores.

The thing that kills the whole operation in my opinion is that they stock Greenwise products and healthy options in regular Publix’s and so unless ur going for a very particular item or a special diet, I can see no reason to drive across town to the Greenwise store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 06:59 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
I see what Publix is trying to do with Greenwise, but my opinion is that they are to late to the game.

They are trying to copy Whole Foods and all of the rest of the copy cats into the millennial popular health food grocery store trend.

The first Greenwise opened here in Tallahassee, and while I think the design of the store is nice and the food they offer is fine, I don’t see anything that differentiates them from Luckys market or earth fare or anyone else.

I kind of think Publix will pull back on the Greenwise stores in a few years and fold them back into Publix stores.

The thing that kills the whole operation in my opinion is that they stock Greenwise products and healthy options in regular Publix’s and so unless ur going for a very particular item or a special diet, I can see no reason to drive across town to the Greenwise store.
Store manager told me they will be pulling more Greenwise OUT of the regular Publix stores in areas with a Greenwise. The benefit to Greenwise, at least in Lakeland where I am, is Publix is going out of their way to stock local products wherever possible. This includes small upstart vendors: coffee roasters, craft brewers, bakers, farmers, etc. So far it's a big hit.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:08 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,717,272 times
Quote:

Greenwise 1.0 was a reaction Whole Foods in the mid to late 2000s.

Greenwise 2.0 is a reaction to Lucky’s and the other Whole Foods alternative small-format stores of recent.

The bigger brands let the newer/smaller companies take all the risk, and then they copy what works. That’s why Whole Foods lost 14 million customers in Q1/Q2 2017, making it ripe for a buyout. Stores like Kroger (and Publix here) effectively played catch up.

Kroger just dumped their investment relationship with Lucky’s two weeks ago. Much of that investment was for growing the brand in Florida. I’ve been beating that drum on these threads since the news broke and no one ever responds. :-(. Haha.

Other stores have separate natural/organic/gourmet stores. Meijer has Fresh Thyme. H-E-B has Central Market. I’ve never been to Central Market, but I’ve seen Central Market brand items in H-E-B. But I guess the difference is that those grocers don’t build stores on top of each other like Publix. Publix seems to be able to get away with that.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:46 AM

Here is a nice article from "Retail Leader" that gives and in-depth review of why the new Publix Greenwise is the most interesting GreenWise yet. Lakeland and Boca Raton both opened on the same day (12/12) and both were built new from the ground up rather than converted. I am going to visit he store today!

https://retailleader.com/most-intere...10840-78100869

Old 12-19-2019, 11:33 AM

4,437 posts, read 3,753,720 times
Was there last week. I guess Publix has been reading all of my City Data Forum posts, because the concept they have created features many of the things I have been saying for years that are missing from Publix's dated, boring stores. Hey Publix, you're welcome!

Although the Greenwise concept is a straight ripoff (albeit on a smaller scale) of an Earth Fare, more than half the store is prepared or fresh foods (congrats, Publix, on embracing the burrito bowl concept, which became popular I think in the 90s). The typically Publix (and very old fashioned) fluorescent lighting has been replaced by soft lights and big trendy signage. There is self-checkout (congrats, Publix, on embracing 1980s tech). There's lots of restaurant style indoor and outdoor seating. There's a mix your own trail mix bar. Free wifi. There's a huge aisle of bulk food bins (grind your own nut butter, pour your own honey or oils). There's a pizza counter, a burrito counter, a brewpub type bar, lots of VASTLY IMPROVED FROM PUBLIX features. All the stuff that people on City Data spend inordinate amounts of time saying Publix "doesn't need" or "supermarkets don't need" or "most shoppers don't want," Publix went and put in the Greenwise concept.

Unfortunately Greenwise fails when it comes to produce (tiny section, horrible selection). I just don't know why Publix can't get produce right. It also fails when it comes to quality of baked goods (the stuff I sampled was terrible) and meats and seafood. Better than what you find in a Publix but not great (they make their own sausage and flavor their own bacon).

Not sure whom Publix is courting with the new Greenwise concept. Serious cooks will think the quality and selection is crap. People looking for natural food won't like the lack of organic fresh meats and non-GMO products (you can't get a fresh made organic sandwich or pizza there). People who want cheap will think it's too expensive. Traditional Publix shoppers will be angry there's no Heinz ketchup or Kraft mac and cheese or Budweiser.

Maybe this store, which by the way is extremely small, is for the Millennial or the Zoomer who is only interested in a place where they can TikTok while enjoying a sushi roll priced below what you can get in a restaurant.

Overall, I give the new Greenwise concept a C. It's certainly 10,000 steps up from a Publix! Possibly the most interesting thing about this store is that it is quite obvious that Publix doesn't want anyone to think they are affiliated with it. There is zero mention of the name "Publix" in the store or outside.

Last edited by sinatras; 12-19-2019 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Was there last week. I guess Publix has been reading all of my City Data Forum posts, because the concept they have created features many of the things I have been saying for years that are missing from Publix's dated, boring stores. Hey Publix, you're welcome!

Although the Greenwise concept is a straight ripoff (albeit on a smaller scale) of an Earth Fare, more than half the store is prepared or fresh foods (congrats, Publix, on embracing the burrito bowl concept, which became popular I think in the 90s). The typically Publix (and very old fashioned) fluorescent lighting has been replaced by soft lights and big trendy signage. There is self-checkout (congrats, Publix, on embracing 1980s tech). There's lots of restaurant style indoor and outdoor seating. There's a mix your own trail mix bar. Free wifi. There's a huge aisle of bulk food bins (grind your own nut butter, pour your own honey or oils). There's a pizza counter, a burrito counter, a brewpub type bar, lots of VASTLY IMPROVED FROM PUBLIX features. All the stuff that people on City Data spend inordinate amounts of time saying Publix "doesn't need" or "supermarkets don't need" or "most shoppers don't want," Publix went and put in the Greenwise concept.

Unfortunately Greenwise fails when it comes to produce (tiny section, horrible selection). I just don't know why Publix can't get produce right. It also fails when it comes to quality of baked goods (the stuff I sampled was terrible) and meats and seafood. Better than what you find in a Publix but not great (they make their own sausage and flavor their own bacon).

Not sure whom Publix is courting with the new Greenwise concept. Serious cooks will think the quality and selection is crap. People looking for natural food won't like the lack of organic fresh meats and non-GMO products (you can't get a fresh made organic sandwich or pizza there). People who want cheap will think it's too expensive. Traditional Publix shoppers will be angry there's no Heinz ketchup or Kraft mac and cheese or Budweiser.

Maybe this store, which by the way is extremely small, is for the Millennial or the Zoomer who is only interested in a place where they can TikTok while enjoying a sushi roll priced below what you can get in a restaurant.

Overall, I give the new Greenwise concept a C. It's certainly 10,000 steps up from a Publix! Possibly the most interesting thing about this store is that it is quite obvious that Publix doesn't want anyone to think they are affiliated with it. There is zero mention of the name "Publix" in the store or outside.
I kind of figured this would be your assessment. I actually agree with a lot of it. However, I have read articles where Publix is not looking at this new Greenwise as a true shopping experience, but more of a restaurant hybrid. They want people to come, eat and hang, maybe pick up some stuff for later. That was obvious to me by the huge selection of prepared foods. It actually reminded me of a Fresh Market, but with a lot of cafe seating.

The place has been literally SLAMMED, so obviously people here are digging it. But for me, I stayed a few minutes and then drove across the street to the large and very nice actual grocery store Publix. I will revisit Greenwise down the road when the crowds die down. I do give big kudos to them to carrying as much as possible from our local vendors (baked goods, beer, coffee, etc.)

Old 12-19-2019, 01:09 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times
Quote:

"Serious cooks" aren't buying prepared foods.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:22 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,990,956 times
Quote:

Publix Super Markets focusing on GreenWise Market now is perfect timing. Specialty organic/gourmet grocers have experienced issues. Whole Foods Markets changed ownership, discontinued 365, and has closed stores. The Fresh Market overextended itself into distant markets and attempted to stray away from its service departments. It has closed stores and froze the opening of new stores until it gets itself together.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:50 PM
aax

710 posts, read 489,683 times
Quote:

Thank you, you said a lot in that post. You stood taller and saw further than the Publix fanboys who fill this space.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:02 PM

4,437 posts, read 3,753,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Thank you, you said a lot in that post. You stood taller and saw further than the Publix fanboys who fill this space.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida