Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
If they acquire Winn-Dixie, which was a big rumor a few years ago that ended up not being true, I hope they completely change the stores instead of keeping the names and running things behind the scenes like a few of those Kroger/Albertsons acquisitions. Given the capital investments they would have to undertake, they would probably be better off growing organically. That would, of course, mean the death of Winn-Dixie. While people view newcomers as a threat to Publix, the only chain that has been closing stores with the changing Florida grocery landscape has been Winn-Dixie.
If Winn-Dixie was in better shape and had more store locations, it could have been attractive for another supermarket that is doing well to acquire. Its future involves more stores closing and going extinct. I doubt Winn-Dixie will see its 100th anniversary in 2025.

Publix's further expansion in Florida is realistic. It has over 800 stores in the state. Expansion to 900 stores is doable. Is 1,000 stores possible? There are locations in Florida where Publix does not operate stores and Winn-Dixie does. That list of locations will shrink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 09:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
High compared to what, conventional grocers? Anyone with any inkling of how food is produced knows the difference between the two. For those that don't, it's a lost cause anyway.
Whole Foods Market is a specialty organic grocer. It does not compete directly against supermarkets (i.e. Publix, Winn-Dixie, Walmart Neighborhood Market). Specialty organic grocers (i.e. Whole Foods Market, Trade Joe's, Earth Fare, GreenWise Market) have higher prices because of the products that are produced and how they are sold.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:10 PM

648 posts, read 516,918 times
Quote:
Anyone with any sense of the food scene in Florida could have predicted that before Kroger's investment. Name another state where "farmers markets" by and large have zero reputable farmers attending to sell their product. It couldn't be much more backward for expansion of an organic grocery store chain.
+2. I haven't yet moved to Florida but even with the near dozen trips I've made there I've noticed the sad state of the farmers markets - at least in the greater JAX and Orlando areas. It really surprised me. It's one of the things I have on my list to assess in my trips.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:09 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
+2. I haven't yet moved to Florida but even with the near dozen trips I've made there I've noticed the sad state of the farmers markets - at least in the greater JAX and Orlando areas. It really surprised me. It's one of the things I have on my list to assess in my trips.
Well, unfortunately, unless one lives in a city or town where there are actual nearby farms, the markets will be lacking. Also, a lot of people don't understand that Florida doesn't grow everything, and what does grow here has specific seasons, so a lot of stuff has to be brought in from elsewhere. Where I lived before (Sarasota) we had an awesome Amish run grocery which started as a produce and local foods market and expanded into grocery store. They always tried to stock local/organic if possible, and when not available brought in from nearby states, after that elsewhere. So that's the way it is. Some cities are better than others when it comes to these markets and what people want/expect. I have to say Sarasota/Manatee had a lot of GREAT options when it came to organic farms. good markets, local dairy, etc. I am now in Lakeland and discovering what is here. Lakeland has the Saturday market downtown which is OK, and a few farmstands open every day. Also there is a Lakeland organics which delivers which I haven't tried yet, but am going to.

Grow your own, if you can.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:21 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmith0711 View Post
Kroger could potentially buy Earthfare as well, if they are looking to have an organic grocer in the Florida market, rumor is they are for sale.
Wow. If Kroger did that, that would like breaking up with one person and then dating their sibling. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Whole Foods Market is a specialty organic grocer. It does not compete directly against supermarkets (i.e. Publix, Winn-Dixie, Walmart Neighborhood Market). Specialty organic grocers (i.e. Whole Foods Market, Trade Joe's, Earth Fare, GreenWise Market) have higher prices because of the products that are produced and how they are sold.
If that is the case, I find it interesting that Lucky's decided to build across from Publix locations, at least in metro Orlando, rather than Whole Foods and the other specialty stores, which tend to cluster around each other in Dr. Phillips and Winter Park first. However, unlike what Sprouts has done in Orlando so far, Lucky's actually acted according to its slogan of "Organic for the 99%" by not focusing on 1% neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, unfortunately, unless one lives in a city or town where there are actual nearby farms, the markets will be lacking. Also, a lot of people don't understand that Florida doesn't grow everything, and what does grow here has specific seasons, so a lot of stuff has to be brought in from elsewhere.
According to the website below, a lot is grown here. I just heard that the state seems to export more than what it sells locally. I mean, it took the California romaine issue for Florida stores to carry Florida romaine lettuce. Fresh from Florida has been campaigning hard about buying Florida romaine. I didn't know it was a thing because I thought most of ours came from California. Publix removed 180 items from its shelves due to the scare, but everything seems normal again.

https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resou...rops-in-Season
https://www.miamiherald.com/living/f...237766584.html

Old 01-08-2020, 05:52 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
According to the website below, a lot is grown here. I just heard that the state seems to export more than what it sells locally. I mean, it took the California romaine issue for Florida stores to carry Florida romaine lettuce. Fresh from Florida has been campaigning hard about buying Florida romaine. I didn't know it was a thing because I thought most of ours came from California. Publix removed 180 items from its shelves due to the scare, but everything seems normal again.

https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resou...rops-in-Season
https://www.miamiherald.com/living/f...237766584.html
Florida is the second largest tomato-producing state after California, yet best of luck securing some from any of the grocery stores here.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Florida is the second largest tomato-producing state after California, yet best of luck securing some from any of the grocery stores here.
Kyle, can't you find them at Publix? Every Publix I have gone to has plenty of local tomatoes (when available) They are good, too! One brand is Tasti-Lee, I buy them all the time!

Old 01-08-2020, 09:11 AM

17,119 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Kyle, can't you find them at Publix? Every Publix I have gone to has plenty of local tomatoes (when available) They are good, too! One brand is Tasti-Lee, I buy them all the time!
Same here. There’s another brand I can’t quite think of that produces organic peppers and tomatoes. I believe they’re out of Port St Lucie or somewhere out there. Publix always has them when they’re in season.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:53 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,258 times
Quote:
Clemons Produce if you are ever in that area. But yeah, I didn't know Florida romaine was a thing until the California recall. I got blasted by Fresh from Florida ads on my social media feed over the holidays.

Quote:
Another one is Tasty Thyme, which makes the Red 'n Tasty vine-ripened tomatoes that are sold exclusively at Publix.

It looks like they're based out of the Tampa area.

https://www.tomatothyme.com/products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Same here. There’s another brand I can’t quite think of that produces organic peppers and tomatoes. I believe they’re out of Port St Lucie or somewhere out there. Publix always has them when they’re in season.
Pero Family Farms in Delray Beach?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pero_F...s_Food_Company

Old 02-01-2020, 01:29 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Thanks for that! Our local Publix stores do a lousy job of signage for Florida grown and often when I do see them it's false advertising with the product clearly stickered from Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida