Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 06:05 PM

210 posts, read 382,639 times

Advertisements

I’m hoping someone out there can help me with this situation. I Purchased a gold bracelet at a well-known consignment store in Sarasota. It was listed as 14 karat gold and they gave me an appraisal from someone who has a NGJA membership number stating it’s 14 karat gold and the value. I excepted this information is factual and accurate. The consignment store donates their profits to support of the arts, and the price tag says “as is”, and the receipt states “no refunds no exchanges”.

When I got home and I showed the bracelet to my significant other, he noticed that it is stamped 18 karat gold over 925 sterling silver, which means it’s basically a sterling silver bracelet with gold electroplate. So even though they gave me a an appraisal certificate, it’s basically fraudulent because how could an educated gemologist miss the stamp?

I’m just wondering if I have any rights because their policy is so clear that there’s no refunds, I’m thinking this is fraud, since they misrepresented the actual gold content of the bracelet, based on their appraiser’s information. This was a significant purchase, over a thousand dollars, and the bracelet is probably worth less than $100 at a pawn shop.

I will be heading back there tomorrow to ask for a refund, but I am sure that they will not be too happy to return the money. I can file a police report for theft or for fraud, I guess, and try to do the same to the appraiser who wrote the appraisal, if I can locate him, but I’m just not sure what to do. I’m not even sure if I dispute the purchase through my credit card if I have a leg to stand on when it says no refund. I’ve never had anything like this happen.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 06:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
File a police report and then contact your credit card issuer if they don’t refund you. “No refunds” doesn’t cover misrepresentation or fraud.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:16 AM
aax

710 posts, read 499,144 times
Call Artimis Ayala's office.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:29 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,748,988 times
I think it is reasonable to expect them to take it back and refund your money IF they don't take the position that the bracelet you are returning is not the same bracelet you purchased. Hopefully, the design is unique and memorable enough that the chances of your being able to find a same-looking bracelet are essentially zero.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:14 AM

210 posts, read 382,639 times
OP here,

Thanks All. At first they wanted me to get an appraisal from someone else. In the end, I was able to get a refund, but only after telling them I needed to get a police report. After that they changed their mind.

I Will be more careful in the future!

Old 01-29-2020, 11:13 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,748,988 times
Glad to see it was the right outcome.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:26 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
OP here,

Thanks All. At first they wanted me to get an appraisal from someone else. In the end, I was able to get a refund, but only after telling them I needed to get a police report. After that they changed their mind.

I Will be more careful in the future!
Excellent outcome. The fact that it was over $1000 also meant it would likely be a felony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida