Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 09:03 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times

Advertisements

[quote=[B]craigiri[/b];57058149]In MA the property taxes for a 250K house (where I live) would be about 4K per year.

In Sarasota, it's about 2600-2800 now, but for that we get billions (really) of gallons of sewerage spilling into the bay. AND, our homeowners insurance here is 3X as high for the same coverage.

I wish I had a Dollar for every time you mentioned raw sewage being spilled in Florida, and how your home state of Massachusetts is pristine. Well, this news story link below says Mass is a poopy mess...

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...lfy-story.html

374,000 gallons of raw sewage spilled in the river leading to the Long Island Sound, and this isn't an isolated occurance. This article says its happening more and more there.

For all the crazy high taxes you pay in Taxachusetts, you'd think they could keep the poop out of the waterways. They must be flushing your tax dollars down the toilet!

You obsess about Florida's spills, but never mentioned poopy "Messachusetts". I'm not sure which is worse there, the crazy high taxes, or the poopy waterways.

Why do you complain incessently about Florida, yet chose to live in Florida several months each year? Since you hate Florida so much, why not go elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 09:28 AM

486 posts, read 516,306 times
[quote=beach43ofus;57062212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
craigiri[/b];57058149]In MA the property taxes for a 250K house (where I live) would be about 4K per year.

In Sarasota, it's about 2600-2800 now, but for that we get billions (really) of gallons of sewerage spilling into the bay. AND, our homeowners insurance here is 3X as high for the same coverage.

I wish I had a Dollar for every time you mentioned raw sewage being spilled in Florida, and how your home state of Massachusetts is pristine. Well, this news story link below says Mass is a poopy mess...

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...lfy-story.html

374,000 gallons of raw sewage spilled in the river leading to the Long Island Sound, and this isn't an isolated occurance. This article says its happening more and more there.

For all the crazy high taxes you pay in Taxachusetts, you'd think they could keep the poop out of the waterways. They must be flushing your tax dollars down the toilet!

You obsess about Florida's spills, but never mentioned poopy "Messachusetts". I'm not sure which is worse there, the crazy high taxes, or the poopy waterways.

Why do you complain incessently about Florida, yet chose to live in Florida several months each year? Since you hate Florida so much, why not go elsewhere?
I have to agree with you on this. I moved from MA to Jacksonville, FL. Every time I fly into Boston to visit family, the first thing I notice is the pollution in the air. You can smell it easily after living near the ocean.

I grew up in Western Massachusetts, right on the Connecticut River, and that river was so polluted when we were kids that it wasn't safe to eat fish out of it and at times the pollution count was so high it would sting your skin. All from the old paper mills up and down the river, most which closed decades earlier. They have significantly cleaned it up since then thankfully.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:53 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Check out the beaches and test the water quality there as well.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:41 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Florida doesn't "need" to do anything. Florida's GDP is #4 in the COUNTRY, behind California, Texas and New York. Yes, tourism and agriculture figure into the picture prominently, but that is WHAT FLORIDA IS ALL ABOUT! Just Google it, the economy here is extremely robust, and no, not everyone is making minimum wage like some of you like to spout. If you have skillsets, this is one of the best places to live in the country.

Anyway, massachoicetts, how's the cost of living where YOU are now? How do you like them taxes?
Well frankly il tell you how I like them:

In Orlando my field has positions that pay 37-41k a year... thats garbage.
In Boston? 75k a year, and my net take-home pay is ~50k a year, which is far more than 28k-32k in Orlando.
Yes, the cost of living is through the roof here, but I would be struggling more in Orlando than Boston. My rent in Boston is $1,800 a month, my rent in Orlando for the same unit would be $1,150. However, I have the extra income in Boston to afford things like going out, taking quick trips to Europe (~3 times a year), go to NY, NJ, DC and Chicago when I like.

However, In Florida the GDP is not impressive. The average income is 50k, compared to MD, NJ, MA, NY, CT, WA, CA .. all way above 70k+. Florida is 3rd in population and 4th in GDP, yet 6th in GDP growth.. lagging far behind other states. Florida' economy is high risk and when the economy crashes will fall hard since its leisure and tourist-based, and based off of the population growth. I cant speak for states I never lived in, but in Massachusetts we have a lot going on including having the best medical care in the country, best education, best universities, a world class transporation system, lively-liberal-open minded people... and the best part is, more than 50% of the Metro, and 85% of my zip code hold Bachelor's Degrees.

Im sure with DC, its the same thing. SO many new developments, construction.. love my city!!! No Rednecks either phhewww

I you dont believe me:
https://archboston.com/community/whats-new/

Old 01-10-2020, 11:44 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well frankly il tell you how I like them:

In Orlando my field has positions that pay 37-41k a year... thats garbage.
In Boston? 75k a year, and my net take-home pay is ~50k a year, which is far more than 28k-32k in Orlando.
Yes, the cost of living is through the roof here, but I would be struggling more in Orlando than Boston. My rent in Boston is $1,800 a month, my rent in Orlando for the same unit would be $1,150. However, I have the extra income in Boston to afford things like going out, taking quick trips to Europe (~3 times a year), go to NY, NJ, DC and Chicago when I like.

However, In Florida the GDP is not impressive. The average income is 50k, compared to MD, NJ, MA, NY, CT, WA, CA .. all way above 70k+. Florida is 3rd in population and 4th in GDP, yet 6th in GDP growth.. lagging far behind other states. Florida' economy is high risk and when the economy crashes will fall hard since its leisure and tourist-based, and based off of the population growth. I cant speak for states I never lived in, but in Massachusetts we have a lot going on including having the best medical care in the country, best education, best universities, a world class transporation system, lively-liberal-open minded people... and the best part is, more than 50% of the Metro, and 85% of my zip code hold Bachelor's Degrees.

Im sure with DC, its the same thing. SO many new developments, construction.. love my city!!! No Rednecks either phhewww

I you dont believe me:
https://archboston.com/community/whats-new/
Florida's a bad place for strivers who are pursuing earned income to move to, or to live. Unless you can get by on <$50k, or are in a position to start your own business here and live well after its established, please dont risk it. Floridians love it just the way it is. We don't want to be like States up North, which is why so many of us left those States to come down here. We just want affluent 50+ ers moving down and bringing their nest egg with them. Everyone else, please stay up there. We are so glad you are doing well in Boston.

Please let all your friends know how horrible the Florida job market is. Florid's great place to take the family for a 1 week vacation, but otherwise, its terrible for young strivers. Pass the word.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
lol pretty much. I was looking at possible moving to Thailand as I love it more and more every time I visit, but sheesh, it's crazy how expensive real estate is getting there too. $200k for a 300-400 sqft condo (central location in Bangkok) because of people from outside the country buying. There will be another crash and Florida will be one of the hardest hit states, so if possible, keep building your savings, so you can hopefully pick up a place during the next crash. That's how I made a big chunk of my money, except I bought in San Francisco.
Except what we found in the last crash is that places like South Florida, SW Florida, San Francisco, NYC and a few others recovered fastest and first. What we also found out was that even though our economy stumbled, the US is one of the safest places in the world for investors.

There will be a dip of course but not a crash like what we saw before in real estate in desirable areas.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:05 PM
aax

710 posts, read 497,652 times
We wish to be more like bmw. We admire 335xi and his business savvy.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Except what we found in the last crash is that places like South Florida, SW Florida, San Francisco, NYC and a few others recovered fastest and first. What we also found out was that even though our economy stumbled, the US is one of the safest places in the world for investors.

There will be a dip of course but not a crash like what we saw before in real estate in desirable areas.

The markets in Miami/Las Vegas/Phoenix/etc were different than San Francisco/New York City/etc. The first group crashed much harder where as the second group didn't crash as much. And while I doubt the next crash will be as severe as the last one, I wouldn't rule it out, especially in the markets that were hit the hardest last time. You should always know how you would react in the worst probable case before making any major decision.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:15 PM

648 posts, read 517,448 times
The problem is, no one will know when it’s going to happen until it does. So for soon to be Floridians like me, it’s a gamble either way. Either come down and rent, hoping a price correction will occur while I’m paying to keep my household belongings in storage, never seeing the correction come soon enough, or buy as soon as I can and have a price correction fall on me shortly thereafter.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
The problem is, no one will know when it’s going to happen until it does. So for soon to be Floridians like me, it’s a gamble either way. Either come down and rent, hoping a price correction will occur while I’m paying to keep my household belongings in storage, never seeing the correction come soon enough, or buy as soon as I can and have a price correction fall on me shortly thereafter.

My advice generally for people is...

If you are looking to buy your primary house and you can afford it, you shouldn't time the market, just make sure you don't over pay for today's market price. If you cannot afford anything in this market, focus on building your savings, so when the next crash does happen, you'll have a better chance at getting something good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida