U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 07:33 AM

142 posts, read 140,940 times

Advertisements

Florida has changed. I see more people moving here, more traffic, cost of living and rent has skyrocketed while wages have stagnant. Did you move and where to. Did the change improve your quality of life and standard of living or did you regret moving out of Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 07:59 AM

353 posts, read 679,117 times
Sooner or later most will be and it will become the next California......

Old 12-23-2019, 08:56 AM

4,426 posts, read 1,463,540 times
I left Florida twice. 1st time I left after I graduated from Florida with a BBA, and I went back home to St. Louis..huge mistake. I made my way back to Florida after 5 years. Then, I left Florida a 2nd time ...took a promotion to Columbus Ohio...this was even a bigger mistake than the 1st time I left. I escaped Columbus Ohio after just 1 year there, by getting transferred to Atlanta. It took me 20 years to get from Atlanta back to Florida.

I made a lot of money in the other places, met my wife, started our family, got my MBA, started my business, but Florida is so much better than anyplace else I've lived. I Summered in the Hamptons in the late 1960's, and early 70's, and that came in 2nd place to Florida.

I'm never leaving Florida again. I'm semi-retired at an early age, and I'm enjoying every moment here.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:02 AM

8,124 posts, read 16,676,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Sooner or later most will be and it will become the next California......
As someone looking to leave the state in 5-10 years for an early retirement destination that better suits our needs, I’m currently cheering for that kind of scenario

Old 12-23-2019, 09:21 AM

4,439 posts, read 4,759,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
Florida has changed. I see more people moving here, more traffic, cost of living and rent has skyrocketed while wages have stagnant. Did you move and where to. Did the change improve your quality of life and standard of living or did you regret moving out of Florida?
Is this feelings or fact driven?

Old 12-23-2019, 09:52 AM
aax

652 posts, read 215,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanac13 View Post
South Florida is becoming more expensive to live, which is why I been noticing more South Florida folks moving here.
Correction: it has always been expensive to live there.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:00 AM

4,426 posts, read 1,463,540 times
sport69 is partially right. I lived in Florida 25 years ago, left, then returned 2 years ago. Florida has a LOT more people, and traffic for sure. I lived in Boca 25 years ago, and return often, I couldn't live there now...too crowded for me. That's why I chose the SW coast instead. Southern Sarasota County isn't too far gone...yet. Florida population data is everywhere, and it confirms Florida's growth.

Rent skyrocketing? Rents almost always go up (except in gov't rent controlled areas), but I don't see them skyrocketing. In 2018, I rented a nice 2/2/2 villa in Sarasota County for $1,350/month on a 1 year lease...2,000 sq ft in a nice gated HOA community. It could have nicely accommodated roommates at $625/each. Nice places <$1,000 are tough to find now, I'll give him that.

Cost of living skyrocketing? I dont see this either. College tuition and healthcare are outpacing inflation, but the rest is pretty much the same. We have almost no inflation right now.

Wages stagnant? Nationally, they are rising again, by small amounts, but rising nonetheless. I'm guessing Florida's wages are tracking the national average.

Florida's job market isn't as attractive as many other places. There's very little manufacturing, and few service sector jobs pay $100,000+. Best bet here is to be self-employed and own a business.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:03 AM

947 posts, read 1,155,764 times
It's all relative. South Florida is cheap compared to New York so they keep coming and immigrants are fine cramming multiple generations or families together living in substandard conditions since it is still an improvement over where they came from so they will keep coming.

Orlando and Tampa, especially the suburb and exurb counties are fairly affordable.

If you want a home near the beach or in a walkable downtown close to work, Florida is expensive. If you compromise and buy a tract home in Pasco County commuting to Tampa 45 minutes, it's very affordable. Florida is what you make of it.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:26 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,604,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Florida's job market isn't as attractive as many other places. There's very little manufacturing, and few service sector jobs pay $100,000+. Best bet here is to be self-employed and own a business.
You're absolutely right on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
It's all relative. South Florida is cheap compared to New York so they keep coming and immigrants are fine cramming multiple generations or families together living in substandard conditions since it is still an improvement over where they came from so they will keep coming.
Yes. Florida is cheap for people who have spent years building their careers somewhere else. They can take what they get for their current home in the coastal major city and/or the savings from their higher salaries and buy a beautiful property here. It appears to be a different story for people who have tried to build their careers here. That's the point I've been arguing on many of these cost of living threads.

Old 12-23-2019, 04:38 PM

15,621 posts, read 32,153,079 times
Some here seem to know nothing about Polk County. It is poised to be the manufacturing hub of Florida. The economy here is VERY STRONG, lots of job growth and not all minimum wage, either. And cost of real estate is still reasonable. Amazon already has one fulfillment center in Lakeland and opening another LARGER one in nearby Auburndale. Amazon is also putting an airhub at Lakeland Linder airport. Amazon alone will be creating a few thousand jobs. And Publix is expanding their headquarters here also, 700 more jobs. People, we are talking BOOMING here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or