U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2019, 08:35 PM

16,623 posts, read 34,270,735 times

Advertisements

Consider Baldwin County in Alabama. It's pretty much the same vibe as the panhandle, but with much newer housing and shopping centers. It's a very popular destination for Midwesterners.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 08:45 PM

90 posts, read 46,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Consider Baldwin County in Alabama. It's pretty much the same vibe as the panhandle, but with much newer housing and shopping centers. It's a very popular destination for Midwesterners.
I’ll look into it. Most of the guys I went through medic school with have been to Gulf Shores and seem to like it a lot.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:21 AM

9,662 posts, read 2,710,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEMT-B View Post
Osprey, Nokomis and South Sarasota look nice. How is the crime in these areas? I just found a house two miles from siesta key near Gulf Gate Estates that was affordable!
I’d probably only live with my parents for a year and I’d get my own place; So I don’t care about the crime personally, but they need to live somewhere safe. I can’t always be around to keep an eye on my parents when they’re out and about, and I don’t want to be that dude kicking in my parents door with my rifle every time they don’t answer the phone!
Sarasota looks like a nice, clean little city to live in! It’s pretty close to Bradenton as well, which is cool!

Thanks again for the info guys! This is very helpful!
Gulf Gate Estates is older, but very nice, and no CDD's that I know of. If they have HOA fees, I suspect they'd be very low. I dont even know if they have a community pool. The location's excellent, and its safe. I love the new libarary they have...it's beautiful. We used it for 1 year when we were renting nearby.

If you and your folks can deal with the stuff that goes along with owning an older home, this would be a good place to look. I think if you buy right, you could get some minor appreciation, due to location being so good.

Have a pro inspector do his/her thing as early on in the process as possible. Test for chinese drywall, radon, age of roof is a must since replacing it is costly. If pool's sinking, or leaking or needs resurfacing, that's costly too. The newer the home the better. I don't always suggest using Realtors, but if you like Gulf Gate Estates, I would recommend using one who has been practicing in that area for 5+ years. They'll know the best streets, and common flaws to look out for, and they'll know what streets, if any, flood duing tropical storms. They'll know the highest and dryest flood zone designations to buy.

Before making any offers, I strongly suggest looking at the home after a long hard rain to see how the lot and driveway drains, and to make sure no roof leaks, or window leaks.

Avoid the rear of the home facing West. You dont want the setting Sun pounding into the back of the home where most windows are, and into the lanai. You want the rear to face North or South to minimize the impact of UV rays and heat. I'd hire a termite pro to do an inspection. Even if they have a transferable Bond.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Gulf Gate Estates is older, but very nice, and no CDD's that I know of. If they have HOA fees, I suspect they'd be very low. I dont even know if they have a community pool. The location's excellent, and its safe. I love the new libarary they have...it's beautiful. We used it for 1 year when we were renting nearby.

If you and your folks can deal with the stuff that goes along with owning an older home, this would be a good place to look. I think if you buy right, you could get some minor appreciation, due to location being so good.

Have a pro inspector do his/her thing as early on in the process as possible. Test for chinese drywall, radon, age of roof is a must since replacing it is costly. If pool's sinking, or leaking or needs resurfacing, that's costly too. The newer the home the better. I don't always suggest using Realtors, but if you like Gulf Gate Estates, I would recommend using one who has been practicing in that area for 5+ years. They'll know the best streets, and common flaws to look out for, and they'll know what streets, if any, flood duing tropical storms. They'll know the highest and dryest flood zone designations to buy.

Before making any offers, I strongly suggest looking at the home after a long hard rain to see how the lot and driveway drains, and to make sure no roof leaks, or window leaks.

Avoid the rear of the home facing West. You dont want the setting Sun pounding into the back of the home where most windows are, and into the lanai. You want the rear to face North or South to minimize the impact of UV rays and heat. I'd hire a termite pro to do an inspection. Even if they have a transferable Bond.
Wow, great information! Thank you!
My parents can do some work if needed. My dad has been building homes for almost 35 years.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:11 AM

Most of Pinellas County has high population density, except as 1 poster mentioned, the extreme Northern portion. I like visiting there, but I dont think I'd want to live there anymore.

I lived near Feather Sound area in Central Pinellas County 25 years ago, and Ulmerton Road back then was a mess, so I can't even imagine what it's like today. IMHO, most of Pinellas County is unattractive unless you are along the water.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Most of Pinellas County has high population density, except as 1 poster mentioned, the extreme Northern portion. I like visiting there, but I dont think I'd want to live there anymore.

I lived near Feather Sound area in Central Pinellas County 25 years ago, and Ulmerton Road back then was a mess, so I can't even imagine what it's like today. IMHO, most of Pinellas County is unattractive unless you are along the water.
Yeah, that doesn’t sound like the place for me.
Unrelated note: Is Southwest Florida hotter during the summer compared to Northwest Florida? I would assume both could get a little uncomfortable during July and August, but is one noticeably better than the other? Just curious. I can deal with the heat if need be.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:55 PM

20,933 posts, read 6,133,180 times
Based on your stated needs and lack of big city needs or wants, I'd stay with your first choices and avoid pinellas.....of which most every square inch is built up. Not to say there aren't a lot of good things around, but you don't seen to have a desire for them (maybe your parents do).

We live in Sarasota and like it but if one has to drive places (we don't have to...so everything is within 10-15 minutes), it can be a nightmare...and getting much worse as there are zero controls on growth.

Oh, the area you mention - Gulf Gate and South Gate - I love it! We were just there for dinner last night and they have 100's of "old florida" small shops in mid-century strip centers. If you are into good food you will love it.......try to suss out the traffic of the street you are looking on and also how close to the really big roads it is (you will hear them!).....

But that area is darling. To my knowledge Southgate and Gulf Gate and most of the areas nearby are fairly safe. Some neighborhoods will be run-down, but that's just the way things are around here. You can have very well kept blocks just a few hundred feet from others that are not.

We are just about 10 minutes north of there closer to Alta Vista (also considered S. Sarasota....I think anything South of Fruitville is).

No worried about gun violence in those areas....or here in general. Crime is fairly high in Florida but, in general, it's domestic in nature (the perps know the victims) or something of the sort. I volunteer around town and regular drive old women around...who have lived in these places for many decades without any incidents.

To be clear - it's not "leave the front door unlocked at night" type of safe, but one does not need to worry about gun violence. I could probably count on one hand the "innocent" victims of the last decade.

Keep the car locked so petty theft does not occur.....get a Blink or Ring for outside...and you will be golden. I sometimes walk with a can of MACE but that's as much for getting attacked by a dog as anything else. Never had to use it...not even close.

IN summary, keep this is mind about Sarasota and area.....

1. If you have to go places far away by car at certain times.....it may not be the best. BUT, everything is close by, so if you can live that way you are fine.
2. Check the street(s) and make sure there is not a shortcut at rush hour in front of your house! Look for dead end streets (not many) or other places where there is less through traffic.
3. Look at Google maps to make sure you are a decent distance from 41 and 72, etc. - they are noisy.
4. Use Google maps and your own walking, driving, biking around to make sure the areas isn' the type where neighbors store 10 cars in the rear or front yard....note how others keep their houses.

I am a crazy map person and we found one of the few places with no thru traffic and as far as possible from the major roads...can still hear them, but it's as good as it gets in a crowded city.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:01 PM

20,933 posts, read 6,133,180 times
Quote:
Unrelated note: Is Southwest Florida hotter during the summer compared to Northwest Florida? I would assume both could get a little uncomfortable during July and August, but is one noticeably better than the other? Just curious. I can deal with the heat if need be.
Not much difference - can be even more brutal inland. If you are close to the water you can actually survive outside (on the beach or near) for a couple hours in the morning and eve.

But, no lie, it is brutal. Many people who can leave for vacay or travel or a 2nd house WILL leave during the June-Oct period

Old 12-30-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Same. From Tampa South to Naples, I have not seen any big diff. Naples was just too costly for us for the sae home we could get in Southern Sarasota County. We liked Bonita Springs, but it was pricey.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:42 PM

We are year 'rounders in Florida, but vacation each Summer so we can escape the Florida heat for a month. That's enough for us.

We were in Hilton Head for September 2019, and July next year 2 weeks in Alaska followed by 2 weeks in Vancouver.

June, July, Aug, Sept are the hottest. By 10 am those months, my outdoor recreational activities are done for the day. Mid-day, you can go to the beach, pool, or boating but you need to be undercover and out of the Sun.

So far as doing errands, the heat here has never stopped my from doing them. The car has A/C the stores have A/C. Don't even think about doing yard work mid-day in those months. I have a lot of respect for our landscaping crews down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or