Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,859 times

Advertisements

We have been looking for a beach town that is environmentally safe, has good healthcare, and where the crime rate is not too high. So far, we have not found this town. Does anybody know of a town that might meet this criteria?

Old 12-30-2019, 02:49 AM

482 posts, read 418,788 times
Define "environmentally safe"?

Old 12-30-2019, 07:10 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I have NO CLUE what "environmentally safe" means, but if you haven't found one, then I am guessing there isn't one.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:21 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Nowhere in Florida is environmentally safe. Please look elsewhere.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:32 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecoast View Post
We have been looking for a beach town that is environmentally safe, has good healthcare, and where the crime rate is not too high. So far, we have not found this town. Does anybody know of a town that might meet this criteria?
Here are some hints.

First, Florida - as a state - doesn't care about pollution or development or mining or heavy use of fertilizers and pesticides. This is fact borne out by many decades but in high gear for the past decade or more. As one example, there is absolutely no limit on building here on the Gulf Coast....they can build thousands of homes in swampland and then thousands more. I think we are up to a billion plus gallons of sewage "leaking" into the shallow bay and Gulf each year. This is accepted as normal.

Same with runoff, red tide, global warming and the results (flesh eating bacteria, etc.).

Florida doesn't even have car inspection - the result being that you can rest assured that the old person on many medications may also have bald tires and bad brakes......

These things are mentioned as an indication of the general direction. As to the "why", it's a state that is all about the $$$ - and, they figured out long ago that most Floridians pass away (it's an older population) before promises are kept, therefore there are always new people to fool with ideas of "paradise".....

That said, here are your best bets IMHO..and the reasoning.

On the Gulf Side you'd want to be as high up as possible. Red Tide tends to stay mostly below Tampa or Clearwater...of course, there is not much beach above Clearwater! But still - that is the West Coast scene.

Oh, health care? Florida ranks 48 or 49 in the nation. See my comments about aging population...and all about the money. Unfortunately, this is the truth in all of Florida save for perhaps certain hospitals in the crowded areas (Miami).....and 1/2 decent hospital in Gainesville (no beach!)....

Now onto cleaner beaches. In general, the east coast has deeper water and a real ocean so the poo and fertilizer and stuff is vastly more diluted. The water can also be colder which helps (not as much bacteria and algae growth).

So the east coast will have less man-made problems in the water and beach.

BUT, you have some high crime areas there. AND, the health care is not going to be tops in most.

This is the real story from someone who lived in Florida in the 1970's and many times since - and who has a lot of family living everywhere from Miami Beach to Sarasota to Gainesville to Orlando.

You are going to have to decide which things to give up (beach, health care, safety, etc.) and then adjust where you look.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Define "environmentally safe"?
Like not worrying about having a scratch on your ankle and going into the water? Maybe not having to be admitted to the hospital when the wind blows the wrong direction due to Red Tide?

Or, as my friend up north discovered, not having the creek next to his house full of dioxin due to the paper plant upstream?

Just guesses but the fact that you may not know the definition says a lot of it.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:12 AM

482 posts, read 418,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Like not worrying about having a scratch on your ankle and going into the water? Maybe not having to be admitted to the hospital when the wind blows the wrong direction due to Red Tide?

Or, as my friend up north discovered, not having the creek next to his house full of dioxin due to the paper plant upstream?

Just guesses but the fact that you may not know the definition says a lot of it.
You must be a joy at parties. I truly hope you don't live here.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:32 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Try Calif/Ore/Wash. They seem to have the widest range of "environmentally-safe spaces." They even allow large numbers of folks to pitch their tents (and toilets) on downtown streets ... apparently to avoid damaging the pristine wilderness.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:54 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
All of the west coast of Florida has recurrent red tide as well as cases of vibrio flesh eating bacteria that can kill you if you go into the water with a scratch and have a compromised immune system. Every year a handful of people die after swimming in the gulf. Both red tide and vibrio are naturally occurring but may be getting worse with manmade pollutants.

So I would eliminate anything on the west coast. The east coast has 2 nuclear power plants. Turkey Point near Homestead and Key Largo and St. Lucie on the treasure coast. There's never been a safety issue but that tends to scare away people so you should be aware. Also, the Space Coast have had cancer hotspots suspected because of chemical and fire retardant leakage from all the launches at Cape Canaveral and the air force base over the last six decades.

So, I'd look towards Palm Beach County if you like a more urban area around Jupiter and St. Augustine near Jacksonville if you want a more suburban feel.

St. Augustine has the benefit of having top notch medical hospitals nearby with Mayo Clinic and UF Health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Old 12-30-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
You must be a joy at parties. I truly hope you don't live here.
The OP asked a question. If you don't know engineering, don't answer when people ask how to build a bridge.

If you don't know what a clean and safe and quality environment is you are unlikely to find out at this point.

Don't take it personal but if I am looking for Vegan food I don't ask the BBQ expert.

Facts are facts. The Coasts of Florida are overdeveloped. It's not easy to live somewhere clean there and also have good heath care.

My friend up in North Florida lived in what anyone would assume to be a clean place - until he found out about the dioxin. Oh, nothing would be done about it either since the paper and other resource extraction companies own the state government (and much of the land).

The OP and those who want to learn may want to do some reading:
https://1000fof.org

To Floridas credit, the voters actually voted for Billions to start fixing things. Unfortunately, when no one was looking, Rick Scott did away with most of the programs which voters approved of.

Facts are facts.

https://www.politifact.com/florida/s...oridas-water-/

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/edi...aster/2196359/
"The Rick Scott record: an environmental disaster"

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...914-story.html

"Rick Scott's disdain for the environment means he owns algae mess plaguing the state"

"Enforcement of environmental laws has all but disappeared since Scott first was elected governor in 2010. He diverted clean-up money and slashed staffs of environmental watchdog agencies, apparently figuring that this whole tree-hugging thing was just a scam to provide decent-paying jobs for college grads with useless specialties. "

Hey, if you don't care...then don't get on threads where caring people ask about the environmental record here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida