Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 03:39 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Whaa? is that English?

Educational opportunities vary like anywhere. I happen to live and play in the same place since the 70's. zPre conceived notions are not 100% applicable. Here's my local schools. https://www.martinschools.org/
Where your town runs and jogs on streets and sidewalk we do so on trails and parks https://www.martin.fl.us/Halpatiokee .... https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...son-state-park and we boat, dive and fish all year round.
https://discovermartin.com/martin-co...aries/dive-in/
https://www.floridagofishing.com/ree...in-county.html

Take a look and tell us what you see and think!
Those aren't very impressive LOL

Wheres the mountains? Cliffs? Great hiking trails? Urban Pathways? Ice Walks?

Not my cup of tea, Sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 04:37 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Those aren't very impressive LOL

Wheres the mountains? Cliffs? Great hiking trails? Urban Pathways? Ice Walks?

Not my cup of tea, Sorry!
Lol... apples and oranges.

Well on a personal level, I wish more thought like you, and leave. We are definitely an outdoor state for active people who like warm weather, warm water and cold beer.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:49 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
What data points out there support this idea that people over 50 don't want big corporations and such to be in Florida? Why have our governors spent so much time going to other states trying to poach corporations away? It's like the certain other poster that claims all of his/her Tampa Bay neighbors and colleagues are disgusted with a certain store, meanwhile all indications show that they are doing very well.

If everyone takes your advice of "start a business," then who will work for these Florida entrepreneurs? Who's to say that they won't build a Darden, Tesla, Facebook, etc. like company here? Should they just leave the state when they hit 200 employees?

Old 01-10-2020, 09:37 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
What data points out there support this idea that people over 50 don't want big corporations and such to be in Florida? Why have our governors spent so much time going to other states trying to poach corporations away? It's like the certain other poster that claims all of his/her Tampa Bay neighbors and colleagues are disgusted with a certain store, meanwhile all indications show that they are doing very well.

If everyone takes your advice of "start a business," then who will work for these Florida entrepreneurs? Who's to say that they won't build a Darden, Tesla, Facebook, etc. like company here? Should they just leave the state when they hit 200 employees?
Most companies and start ups flock to WA MA NY and CA because the labor pool is better. Its just too many companies have and these states cant provide the housing for everyone. Since Florida doesnt have the intellectual base of other ststes, companies are forced to move out. The best thing Florida can do, which they have and Im proud of my former state, is heavily invest in the community college and state college system. UF and UCF have drastically improved in the past 10 years and now companies are starting to stick in the Florida area. I understand what a few have suggested here, but they have no idea how the economy works. Most people in Florida Ive met want better job opportunities and companies, but its going to be a few more years. They've started the high speed rail construction between MCO and Miami. Which is a very bold move. I think Florida is in transition at the moment, but its heavy investments into UF UCF USF FAU will help out the state tremendously.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:27 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:

All my 50+ pals agreed to it...no big corporations around here. Too much traffic. We vetoed it. We dont have the workforce for them anyways, so they won't be coming here anyways.

Our governor is taking trips to attract clean service sector IT and medical research jobs. I told him I was okay with this so long as they dont windup in SW Florida near me. Stick them all in Miami where nobody will notice a few more Thousand cars.

Family, friends, and teens will work in the small busineses. Maybe a few uneducated people too so we can keep them off the streets. And Puerto Ricans who came here after natural disasters.

Yes, 200 employees is the max cap. When they grow larger, they must move to New York, or New Jersey where they will get the snot taxed out of them.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
All my 50+ pals agreed to it...no big corporations around here. Too much traffic. We vetoed it. We dont have the workforce for them anyways, so they won't be coming here anyways.

Our governor is taking trips to attract clean service sector IT and medical research jobs. I told him I was okay with this so long as they dont windup in SW Florida near me. Stick them all in Miami where nobody will notice a few more Thousand cars.

Family, friends, and teens will work in the small busineses. Maybe a few uneducated people too so we can keep them off the streets. And Puerto Ricans who came here after natural disasters.

Yes, 200 employees is the max cap. When they grow larger, they must move to New York, or New Jersey where they will get the snot taxed out of them.
Okay. I understand. Anecdotal evidence and “not in my backyard.” It’s all good.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:32 PM

beach43ofus,

Here’s a local/state article for you to gush over. :-)

Orlando Sentinel
“ Florida sees surge of new residents moving from high-tax states”

Quote:
There’s new evidence to help show that many Northerners are packing their belongings — and bank accounts — and heading to Florida and other zero income-tax states.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...dyq-story.html

Last edited by boy3365; 01-11-2020 at 04:13 PM..

Old 01-11-2020, 09:32 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
This is an unfixable problem. Most northern residents with means are fleeing the harsh winters which are getting longer and longer. Nothing the governments can do about that. The people who make up their tax base who are fleeing for warmer climates will shrink them out of existence. Only the poor people who feed off the government trough will remain.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
beach43ofus,

Here’s a local/state article for you to gush over. :-)

Orlando Sentinel
“ Florida sees surge of new residents moving from high-tax states”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...dyq-story.html
Thanks! Gushing I am. There was also an article yesterday about how voters are fleeing the high tax states for low tax states, and the high tax states are losing 10 representatives/delegates to the low tax states. This could have ramifications in the 2020 elections. Alabama was the only conservative state to lose a delegate.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is an unfixable problem. Most northern residents with means are fleeing the harsh winters which are getting longer and longer. Nothing the governments can do about that. The people who make up their tax base who are fleeing for warmer climates will shrink them out of existence. Only the poor people who feed off the government trough will remain.
Detroit is going to play out over and over again in the years ahead in other cities that suffer similar fates of massive population loss. Its already happened to Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida