Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 05:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I predicted this here on C-D, and told my wife they won't last. I visited 2 of their stores, and knew w/in minutes they just didn't have it. Sprouts and Trader Joe's are far superior, and have much lower prices.

For Lucky's prices, I'm going to Whole Foods, or Fresh Market.

There's a new Luckys under construction in Venice. I wonder what will happen to it? I'm guessing that is one to be closed before it even opened. Hopefully, Detweilers across the street will buy it and move into it. The existing Detweilers in Venice is in desperate need of expanding, and upgrading.
Agree. Went to earth fare recently, way better than Lucky's at similar or better pricing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 05:30 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Agree. Went to earth fare recently, way better than Lucky's at similar or better pricing
I like Earth Fare as well and would guess they might see interest in some of the former Lucky's locations that make sense for expansion (in areas they're already present).

Old 01-23-2020, 05:56 AM
aax

710 posts, read 498,036 times
Publix was behind this. They strong armed them out like they did Albertsons.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:55 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Wow.....Back in the Spring 2019 we went to an Aprons Dinner in Pembroke Pines, Fl (Aprons is a Cooking School Created and Run by Publix Supermarkets).

They have them inside selected Markets at least in several Florida Cities. On weekends they prepare delicious food dishes, with wines included for a fraction of what you'd pay in a 5 stars Restaurant.

Funny part is that the Lucky's in Pembroke is in a shopping center under a block away from the Publix where we went to eat, when we ( 4 of us ) were leaving and the 3 Chefs were talking to us and other customers we told them we were so close to Luckys we were goinn there to get some groceries and cheaper priced identical wines than them before heading back 60 mls to SW Miami, all THREE told us, better hurry, they will not be here for long.

8 -9 months ago they knew something we laughed at, yet they were right !!! A Publixgate Leak ? ?

Last edited by Huasho; 01-23-2020 at 07:53 AM..

Old 01-23-2020, 03:14 PM
aax

710 posts, read 498,036 times
Publix tries to control everything. Ruining Orlando's dining scene.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:33 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Wow.....Back in the Spring 2019 we went to an Aprons Dinner in Pembroke Pines, Fl (Aprons is a Cooking School Created and Run by Publix Supermarkets).

all THREE told us, better hurry, they will not be here for long.

8 -9 months ago they knew something we laughed at, yet they were right !!! A Publixgate Leak ? ?
I don't work in the grocery industry. There was no conspiracy. I could see it on the wall, at least anecdotally. A Lucky's in the neighborhood where I shop was PACKED when it first opened. The large Publix next door that underwent a renovation mostly around the perimeter as a response, was eerily empty on Lucky's grand opening day. The same thing happened with Earth Fare up the road. However, it was basically a "let's go to the new restaurant or Star Wars ride" kind of deal rather than a permanent change in the market. Things eventually balanced out.

Additionally, the majority of people don't do full grocery trips at these stores. Look at the baskets of shoppers about to check out at Publix, Aldi, Walmart, and even Winn-Dixie compared to what you may see from people at Earth Fare, Lucky's and the like. Many of the shopping carts at the first group of stores are FULL. Most people go to the specialty stores for unique items, a couple of things they use that happen to be on sale, and prepared foods. They fill the rest of their kitchen via the traditional and/or discount stores. As we see with malls, even if a store gets a lot of foot traffic, if they aren’t buying anything or just a thing or two...

Last edited by boy3365; 01-23-2020 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-23-2020, 03:39 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
We all have weird feelings here !!! When I come out from ALDI my full (ALMOST) shopping is done with !!

Old 01-23-2020, 04:27 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I
Additionally, the majority of people don't do full grocery trips at these stores. Look at the baskets of shoppers about to check out at Publix, Aldi, Walmart, and even Winn-Dixie compared to what you may see from people at Earth Fare, Lucky's and the like. Many of the shopping carts at the first group of stores are FULL. Most people go to the specialty stores for unique items, a couple of things they use that happen to be on sale, and prepared foods. They fill the rest of their kitchen via the traditional and/or discount stores. As we see with malls, even if a store gets a lot of foot traffic, if they aren’t buying anything or just a thing or two...
I don't think it's as widespread a phenomenon outside of Florida, or at least not my experience which I guess would help indicate how more than one or two grocery chains and a handful of specialty chains seemingly thrive in other states. Case in point, North Carolina. They have Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Ingles, Lowes Foods, Publix, Earth Fare, Whole Foods, Sprouts Market, Target, Walmart, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Trader Joe's, Aldi, Lidl, Piggly Wiggly and IGA. Let's also not forget legitimate farmers markets with real actual farmers and producers bringing their products to market versus the abomination we see here. All in a state with half the population of FL.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:47 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I don't think it's as widespread a phenomenon outside of Florida, or at least not my experience which I guess would help indicate how more than one or two grocery chains and a handful of specialty chains seemingly thrive in other states. Case in point, North Carolina. They have Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Ingles, Lowes Foods, Publix, Earth Fare, Whole Foods, Sprouts Market, Target, Walmart, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Trader Joe's, Aldi, Lidl, Piggly Wiggly and IGA. Let's also not forget legitimate farmers markets with real actual farmers and producers bringing their products to market versus the abomination we see here. All in a state with half the population of FL.
Well, some cities here have a similar mix. I was living in Sarasota, besides Publix there was Winn-Dixie, Super Target, Walmart and Walmart Neighborhood, Aldi, Trader Joes, Sprouts, Earth Fare, Whole Foods (two of them), Fresh Market, Sav-a-Lot, Bravo, Lucky's (now closing) independents like Detweilers and Morton's, along with organic farms like Jessica's and coops. So it's here, just not EVERYWHERE in FL, just as it isn't everywhere in NC.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:58 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Additionally, the majority of people don't do full grocery trips at these stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes there are some areas that can support multiple middle-market, specialty and discount grocers. And some of those areas are smaller than metro Orlando. However, it appears that the "small shopping trips" thing is part of these small-format stores' business model. Publix even said such when questioned about building Greenwise stores directly across from traditional Publix stores without fear of cannibalization.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...426-story.html (2016)

Quote:
The common theme through many of these stores is they are only asking for a fraction of shoppers' grocery budget, industry experts say.

"You have people shopping in various venues instead of one grocery store once a week," said Bridget Goldschmidt, managing editor at trade publication Progressive Grocer. "When it comes to Whole Foods, you have people going there for certain items they have traditionally been unable to get at a conventional grocery store."

These stores, Goldschmidt said, are filling the gaps that supermarkets traditionally ignored. International cuisine, foods for special diets and organic and hormone-free food gets more space on shelves.

But shoppers often still want their traditional brands, so they settle for multiple trips, Goldschmidt said.
The only problem with that model is when the legacy stores effectively play catch up, it could possibly eliminate the need to visit the specialty store. Whole Foods lost as many as 14 million customers in the quarters leading up to the Amazon acquisition, because places like Kroger, Costco, and yes Publix in the South played catch up. I myself like to go to X store for this and Y store for that, but sometimes it gets tiring and I end up deciding to spend all my money at one big box store every now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida