Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 2,466 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

Reaching out to you all for some help and advice. There is a high likelihood our family will be moving to the Eglin AFB area. I would like to rent a single family house in the best elementary school, if possible. From the quick search, looks like Bluewater Elementary fits the bill. Do any of you know if it's hard to find a rental house in Bluewater community? Are there any parts of Niceville we should avoid? Is Bluewater Bay the only neighborhood zoned to this school? If not, what are the other ones?
Also, if we decided to live in Destin, what particular neighborhoods would you recommend? Safety is #1 importance. Looking for the family-oriented neighborhood with excellent schools. I will be commuting to Eglin. Having lived in DC and Los Angeles, I am not particularly scared of the traffic but of course would prefer to minimize it, lol

Finally, can someone please recommend an excellent real estate agent that you trust?

Please help
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 05:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
The rental situation in the broader region remains tight right now due to slow rebuilding following Hurricane Michael in the Panama City/Tyndall AFB area and hour to the east of here. Rents aren't going to be so bad compared to DC/LA but you definitely pay more and get less than you did 18 months ago. We bought in 2001 so I don't have a ton of recent data points, but Carriage Hills Realty does a lot of rentals in the Niceville area. If you know any of your future co-workers now, I'd also ask them if they've heard of any properties coming up for rent- I suspect a lot of the good options are going quickly via word of mouth.

The area south of Eglin AFB was mostly developed piecemeal with a few larger developments (Bluewater Bay, Swift Creek in the Niceville area, Regatta Bay, Kelly Plantation, Emerald Lakes in the Destin area) that came later on. So outside those developments, good areas and trailer parks can be somewhat street by street. If you can't get out here to look in person early on, I'd use something like Google Street view to get a better feel for the area a couple blocks from the property.

For both Niceville and Destin, a very broad rule of thumb is that the nicer and newer parts are toward the east side of town.

There are parts of Bluewater Bay that are zoned for Plew Elementary school because of overcrowding at Bluewater Elementary. With either of those good schools, you're getting the parent demographic you want- lots of highly educated folks with base or other white collar jobs that require a good amount of brain power.

While the crime numbers for the area as a whole are average to maybe slightly higher than average, a lot of the crime is either people actively looking for trouble or minor property crime of opportunity. I think the number one crime reported in Bluewater Bay is 'items stolen from unlocked vehicle'. I'm female and run alone during twilight times and never fear for my safety.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The rental situation in the broader region remains tight right now due to slow rebuilding following Hurricane Michael in the Panama City/Tyndall AFB area and hour to the east of here. Rents aren't going to be so bad compared to DC/LA but you definitely pay more and get less than you did 18 months ago. We bought in 2001 so I don't have a ton of recent data points, but Carriage Hills Realty does a lot of rentals in the Niceville area. If you know any of your future co-workers now, I'd also ask them if they've heard of any properties coming up for rent- I suspect a lot of the good options are going quickly via word of mouth.

The area south of Eglin AFB was mostly developed piecemeal with a few larger developments (Bluewater Bay, Swift Creek in the Niceville area, Regatta Bay, Kelly Plantation, Emerald Lakes in the Destin area) that came later on. So outside those developments, good areas and trailer parks can be somewhat street by street. If you can't get out here to look in person early on, I'd use something like Google Street view to get a better feel for the area a couple blocks from the property.

For both Niceville and Destin, a very broad rule of thumb is that the nicer and newer parts are toward the east side of town.

There are parts of Bluewater Bay that are zoned for Plew Elementary school because of overcrowding at Bluewater Elementary. With either of those good schools, you're getting the parent demographic you want- lots of highly educated folks with base or other white collar jobs that require a good amount of brain power.

While the crime numbers for the area as a whole are average to maybe slightly higher than average, a lot of the crime is either people actively looking for trouble or minor property crime of opportunity. I think the number one crime reported in Bluewater Bay is 'items stolen from unlocked vehicle'. I'm female and run alone during twilight times and never fear for my safety.
Beachmouse, thank you so much for taking time to respond. Really appreciate your help.
So in Destin, Emerald Lakes is the only community to look for? Are there any other? Do you think it might be worth buying a house? I will not be in the region more than 3 years...from what you have seen, is it hard to sell the property? I am not looking to make money, although, that would be great, lol. But I would be happy if I broke even...bonus points if it's stress free. Meaning, easy buy and easy sell. What would be a "good" budged for a 3-4 bedroom house in the areas we talked about above?
Thank you so much for your advice and feedback. No matter how many times I have done this "move to the place I have never been before", it never gets any easier. Especially, now with the kids and pets. Thank you!

Old 01-28-2020, 08:07 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
For Destin, I'd say anything roughly east of Target is the good side of town. The 'bad part' is more north of McGuire's where there are still a few small trailer parks and such and we hear a good number of calls to that area when we's listen to the police scanner.

The homes that are easy to sell are the ones in Niceville or Destin or the Shalimar area that an AF Captain or GS 11 can comfortably afford to buy. Our house (3/2/2 1700sf) has a few issues but because it would list for under $350K and is in the older part of Bluewater Bay that has quarter acre or bigger lots, it would probably be under contract in less that two weeks. I don't know what your budget would be, but anything over $500K is often going to take longer to sell because of the smaller buyer pool, which excludes some areas of more expensive homes like Swift Creek, Kelly Plantation, and Regatta Bay. (The new Deer Moss Creek development in Niceville is going to be very nice at build out but in your time frame, you'd be trying to sell a 'used' home when many new homes in the development are coming online)

Old 01-28-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
For Destin, I'd say anything roughly east of Target is the good side of town. The 'bad part' is more north of McGuire's where there are still a few small trailer parks and such and we hear a good number of calls to that area when we's listen to the police scanner.

The homes that are easy to sell are the ones in Niceville or Destin or the Shalimar area that an AF Captain or GS 11 can comfortably afford to buy. Our house (3/2/2 1700sf) has a few issues but because it would list for under $350K and is in the older part of Bluewater Bay that has quarter acre or bigger lots, it would probably be under contract in less that two weeks. I don't know what your budget would be, but anything over $500K is often going to take longer to sell because of the smaller buyer pool, which excludes some areas of more expensive homes like Swift Creek, Kelly Plantation, and Regatta Bay. (The new Deer Moss Creek development in Niceville is going to be very nice at build out but in your time frame, you'd be trying to sell a 'used' home when many new homes in the development are coming online)
Thank you so much for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida