Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 04:51 PM

469 posts, read 466,525 times

Advertisements

You asked about spiders. I've only seen a couple of spiders since I moved to Sarasota county in 2013 but I have always lived in communities where they spray for bugs often. If you lived in a rural.area or even a city residence where you had no bug control I would think you would have plenty of bugs. If your HOA doesn't cover bug spraying you probably should hire an exterminator to spray regularly.

Good luck to you! You sound like you've got your act together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 05:13 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Good luck finding a place in Delray that will allow a 44’ camper in your driveway. There are a few pockets around Barwick Rd/Lake Ida Rd that could work, but they rarely come up for sale.
Pretty much everything else in the way of large lots has been bought up by developers.

I can’t tell you about Ft Lauderdale. If you want to keep your vehicles on your property in Palm Beach county , I would suggest Loxahatchee, Royal Palm, Jupiter Farms . I’m not sure if the Caloosa subdivision is in Palm Beach or Martin county.

As for snakes-I look for them and can’t find them! We cover at least 1-1.5k miles a year hiking in remote, swampy areas. We could count our snake sightings on one hand.

We did see a dusky pygmy rattler in the Ocala Forest. He was right next to the trail. He was in the same spot when we came back 3 hours later. And yes, he was alive.

Just watch out for logs and piles of leaves, etc. as well as any other logical hiding place. And cottonmouths/water moccasins swim on top of the water. They usually have their heads up when they crawl on the ground. They are beautiful snakes.

There are 6 poisonous/venomous snakes in Florida. Some are unique to particular areas of the state.

It’s pretty easy to educate yourself about (and avoid running into) the wildlife down here. They’re known quantities. What scares me is what some fool might have dumped here. I have nightmares about running into a black mamba or bushmaster. Who the heck would know that’s what bit you!

At least pythons are huge and you’ll see them lol.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 01-30-2020 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-30-2020, 10:51 PM

10 posts, read 5,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
FYI regarding heat and humidity - once you’re more than a couple of miles inland the Atlantic breeze doesn’t do much.
Noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
You asked about spiders. I've only seen a couple of spiders since I moved to Sarasota county in 2013 but I have always lived in communities where they spray for bugs often. If you lived in a rural.area or even a city residence where you had no bug control I would think you would have plenty of bugs. If your HOA doesn't cover bug spraying you probably should hire an exterminator to spray regularly.

Good luck to you! You sound like you've got your act together.
Also noted.

& thanks! It's been a long road thus far. Excited to get down there for a week or so and check out some areas and properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Good luck finding a place in Delray that will allow a 44’ camper in your driveway. There are a few pockets around Barwick Rd/Lake Ida Rd that could work, but they rarely come up for sale.
Pretty much everything else in the way of large lots has been bought up by developers.

I can’t tell you about Ft Lauderdale. If you want to keep your vehicles on your property in Palm Beach county , I would suggest Loxahatchee, Royal Palm, Jupiter Farms . I’m not sure if the Caloosa subdivision is in Palm Beach or Martin county.
Any particular neighborhoods you recommend around Barwick/Lake Ida?

Caloosa as in spread out acreage type plots off 710, east of Pratt & Whitney, and Palm Beach Raceway? I've taken a quick look through that area on zillow, not a whole lot available for rent but will keep an eye on that area.

Quote:
As for snakes-I look for them and can’t find them! We cover at least 1-1.5k miles a year hiking in remote, swampy areas. We could count our snake sightings on one hand.

We did see a dusky pygmy rattler in the Ocala Forest. He was right next to the trail. He was in the same spot when we came back 3 hours later. And yes, he was alive.

Just watch out for logs and piles of leaves, etc. as well as any other logical hiding place. And cottonmouths/water moccasins swim on top of the water. They usually have their heads up when they crawl on the ground. They are beautiful snakes.

There are 6 poisonous/venomous snakes in Florida. Some are unique to particular areas of the state.

It’s pretty easy to educate yourself about (and avoid running into) the wildlife down here. They’re known quantities. What scares me is what some fool might have dumped here. I have nightmares about running into a black mamba or bushmaster. Who the heck would know that’s what bit you!

At least pythons are huge and you’ll see them lol.
Will be doing my research. I don't need to meet a pygmy rattler though!

A black mamba or bushmaster I'd imagine this would be from people having them as pets and releasing them? That is the 1 positive about the bitter cold is none of those creatures would survive.

Any encounters with killer bees?

Old 01-31-2020, 01:02 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Re: WPB, Wellington, Jupiter - they’re beautiful areas but if you enjoy nightlife, I can’t imagine you’d feel in place there. Maybe WPB, but even there, not a crazy scene.

Honestly, Davie seems to be about your best bet. There’s space and the town is very equine oriented so your big vehicle won’t be out of place. You’re a short uber to downtown FLL and only 30 mins from Miami if you want that. It’s fairly affordable for the area when comparing with places like Boca. It’s also very close to FLL for your travels back north.

South of Sarasota is beautiful but O.L.D. The population has been exploding in Venice but it’s still not a haven for younger people. I don’t know enough about the northern Tampa suburbs to comment, but they seemed somewhat rundown to me when I’ve visited. I’m sure someone will correct me, but that was my take.

South FL (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami Dade) is really the youngest area of FL with most nightlife. A lot of people who post hatred for it are likely over 40 (I’d dislike it too at that age) but it’s certainly a fun area to live.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Re: WPB, Wellington, Jupiter - they’re beautiful areas but if you enjoy nightlife, I can’t imagine you’d feel in place there. Maybe WPB, but even there, not a crazy scene.

Honestly, Davie seems to be about your best bet. There’s space and the town is very equine oriented so your big vehicle won’t be out of place. You’re a short uber to downtown FLL and only 30 mins from Miami if you want that. It’s fairly affordable for the area when comparing with places like Boca. It’s also very close to FLL for your travels back north.
Makes sense on those areas. I'll take a look around Davie and see what I find. Do you know much about Southwest Ranches? I'm not a horse person but looks to have properties with a lot of space.

Quote:
South of Sarasota is beautiful but O.L.D. The population has been exploding in Venice but it’s still not a haven for younger people. I don’t know enough about the northern Tampa suburbs to comment, but they seemed somewhat rundown to me when I’ve visited. I’m sure someone will correct me, but that was my take.
A couple areas north of tampa looked promising, such as Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Tarpon Springs had some nice homes, and of course as you get near the coast as well. Not many available for rent though.

Quote:
South FL (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami Dade) is really the youngest area of FL with most nightlife. A lot of people who post hatred for it are likely over 40 (I’d dislike it too at that age) but it’s certainly a fun area to live.
Agreed there. If I had a family of my own I'd probably not look to that area.
I'll look around Davie, SW Ranches, Plantation and see what I can find. The distance to the MX tracks is further but a warmer winter and closer to nightlife would be a plus.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:26 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I don’t know much about Southwest Ranches other than its family friendly and very expensive. I may have missed it, but what’s your budget? If 600k and up, then SWR might be a good option.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I don’t know much about Southwest Ranches other than its family friendly and very expensive. I may have missed it, but what’s your budget? If 600k and up, then SWR might be a good option.
I'll be looking to rent for 6-12 mo. to get a feel for the area I choose. I may stay 6 mo. somewhere around Tampa and then switch it up and move to the Ft. Lauderdale area to compare the regions, the order of which destination I'd go first is TBD and that choice will be made after visiting.
Budget is between $3,500-$6k/mo

Old 01-31-2020, 05:54 PM

I was thinking Lone Pine Rd and the eastern sides of Maurice and Frances Drs. in Delray. I can only find one rental on Lone Pine that came off the market a year ago. It was $3900.

I’ll look at other areas tomorrow as downtown now.

I do agree with the Davie suggestion if the location isn’t too inconvenient for you.

Yes, the Caloosa on 710.

You might be able to find something on Lowson, Sherwood, or Lakeview Dr/Blv. I think there was a guy there with a motocross trailer in there at one time.Of course just because I haven’t noticed any big trailers there lately doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Some of those houses could be suitable for that.

As far as nightlife goes, you can get around pretty quickly at night . It’s not unusual for us to head down to Lauderdale, Hollywood, Miami.

I think I heard something about killer bees but I haven’t found it to be a problem.

Monitor lizards have been found in some neighborhoods but they’re certain not a huge problem, as far as I know. I’ve never seen one but don’t doubt they’re out there.

Somebody’s king cobra got loose once. It was found.

A Jupiter Farms kangaroo got loose but he ( Stormy) was returned home to his distraught girlfriend. Jupiter Farms is an interesting place. Beekeepers, a guy with African tortoises and a croc.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 01-31-2020 at 06:12 PM..

Old 02-01-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I was thinking Lone Pine Rd and the eastern sides of Maurice and Frances Drs. in Delray. I can only find one rental on Lone Pine that came off the market a year ago. It was $3900.

I’ll look at other areas tomorrow as downtown now.

I do agree with the Davie suggestion if the location isn’t too inconvenient for you.

Yes, the Caloosa on 710.

You might be able to find something on Lowson, Sherwood, or Lakeview Dr/Blv. I think there was a guy there with a motocross trailer in there at one time.Of course just because I haven’t noticed any big trailers there lately doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Some of those houses could be suitable for that.

As far as nightlife goes, you can get around pretty quickly at night . It’s not unusual for us to head down to Lauderdale, Hollywood, Miami.

I think I heard something about killer bees but I haven’t found it to be a problem.

Monitor lizards have been found in some neighborhoods but they’re certain not a huge problem, as far as I know. I’ve never seen one but don’t doubt they’re out there.

Somebody’s king cobra got loose once. It was found.

A Jupiter Farms kangaroo got loose but he ( Stormy) was returned home to his distraught girlfriend. Jupiter Farms is an interesting place. Beekeepers, a guy with African tortoises and a croc.
Thanks for all the info!

I posted a similar thread on a motocross specific forum and a lot of votes for the Tampa based on my checklist/desires with closer proximity to motocross tracks being a priority high on the list. Will keep FLL/MIA as an area to visit if/when I want to enjoy the nightlife and craziness. As I enjoy a quiet and regimented day-to-day routine when it comes to managing my business.

A member of the motocross forum had a pretty solid idea: head down with my camper and stay at a campground for a coulple weeks or month or so while I find the right property for me. I'm thinking I may do that because I can take my time and wouldn't have to fly down there, rent a car, stay in a hotel and rush everything. Then fly back to MN, pack up and head down. The moving process would be quite a bit smoother.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:52 PM

Good luck!

I’m a singer who needs to be near nightlife, but I prefer some rural area with a cute little house in the woods. Maybe some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida