Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 9,588 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

Im looking to areas in FL and would like some insight on some cities, specifically Port Orange and Stuart.

Myself, my 5 year old daughter and my mother ( early 60s ) are looking to move. Most important for us is good schools, safety and things to do. We dont mind driving a little bit to find activities and events. Things like fairs and farmers markets are pluses. We are coming from NY so traffic and chillier weather are of no concern to us! If you guys have any other towns that sound like they would fit us please let me know! We are pretty open as long as we can be like 15-20 minutes to the beach!
Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 06:49 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,813,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassbaby8489 View Post
Hello All!

Im looking to areas in FL and would like some insight on some cities, specifically Port Orange and Stuart.

Myself, my 5 year old daughter and my mother ( early 60s ) are looking to move. Most important for us is good schools, safety and things to do. We dont mind driving a little bit to find activities and events. Things like fairs and farmers markets are pluses. We are coming from NY so traffic and chillier weather are of no concern to us! If you guys have any other towns that sound like they would fit us please let me know! We are pretty open as long as we can be like 15-20 minutes to the beach!
Thanks so much!!

Check out New Smyrna Beach, just south of Port Orange as well.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2020, 12:57 AM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassbaby8489 View Post
Thanks so much!!
Given your criteria (especially better schools) I wouldn't short list Port Orange or New Smyrna Beach. Stuart/Martin County schools are traditionally among the better districts in Florida as is Brevard County to the south of Port Orange. Specifically towns like Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, Melbourne Beach and Indialantic would be great options there. Ponte Vedra Beach (south of Jacksonville) and Fernandina Beach (just north of Jacksonville at the state line) are in the top two school districts in the state collectively (St John's County and Nassau County). Fernandina Beach in particular is a gem of a town with a thriving, well-preserved historic downtown and it's beaches (Amelia Island) among the most unspoiled in the state. It would probably be my top recommendation. https://ameliaislandliving.com/fernandinabeach/

Old 02-05-2020, 09:37 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,117,493 times
You should find plenty of activities in Florida. Port Orange is part of the Daytona Beach area and you can't tell where one city ends and another starts. There are some crappy areas particularly Holly Hill, Edgewater and some areas in Daytona Beach but you may not consider our worst areas bad by NY standards. There are festivals every other week in cooler months in the Daytona area. The beach is 50+ miles long from Ponce Inlet to the Mantazas River to the north. You should find a section that suits your personality, from dog park Ponce Inlet, beach driving Daytona to quiet no beach driving (north of SR 40) Ormond Beach.

This is a great area for girls sports.

I live in Volusia County (Port Orange is in Volusia County) and am not a fan of schools in Florida. Schools are terrible compared to Virginia where we came from. Do your homework and be aware an A or B rated school here would be a C- elsewhere. Academically, schools are preparing students for the hospitality industry labor force and STEM isn't a priority.

I have no idea why you selected Port Orange as apposed to another municipality in the Daytona area. You might look at Ormond Beach as well. I would stay away from Oceola and Ormond Beach elementary. Pine Trails elementary believes they are a good school. Good luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida