U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 01:24 PM

12,135 posts, read 14,662,607 times

Advertisements

The fact that it's a right to work state, which means that you cannot be forced to join a union in order to obtain or keep a job, has nothing to do with your husband's holiday pay.

If he is working on a given day that is his normal shift, and it turns out to be a holiday, he should be paid more? I think not.

Your not "up north" where the civil service unions have and continue to
bankrupt local governments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Well because its a right to work state my husband (in Law Enforcement) does not get any holiday pay, for ANY holiday or any bonus. Never has. Their reason? Crime doesn't take a holiday so why should we pay you for one... Not thrilled about that. Up north he got double pay on holidays .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM

8,704 posts, read 4,872,580 times
Right to Work means right to fired with no reasons given.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:35 PM

18,094 posts, read 16,451,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Right to Work means right to fired with no reasons given.
No, right to work means a person does not have to join a union if they want employment. That means that if I want a job, I am not forced to join a union and pay union dues, a violation of me freedom of association rights as I am being forced to associate.

It has nothing to do with reasons for firing, hiring, or anything unless you are implying union representation when you got fired.

An employer can fire you for any lawful reason, they can fire you for no reason anywhere in the US as long as it is not discriminatory. An employer is most likely to produce a reason because it is protection against discrimination complaints.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Well because its a right to work state my husband (in Law Enforcement) does not get any holiday pay, for ANY holiday or any bonus. Never has. Their reason? Crime doesn't take a holiday so why should we pay you for one... Not thrilled about that. Up north he got double pay on holidays .
That has nothing to do with it being a right to work state or not. There are numerous people, both in the private and public sector, in right to work states that get holiday pay and bonuses. There are also numerous people in non-right to work states that do not get these things, I know, I use to work in one and did not get jack.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 PM

5,931 posts, read 5,813,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, right to work means a person does not have to join a union if they want employment. That means that if I want a job, I am not forced to join a union and pay union dues, a violation of me freedom of association rights as I am being forced to associate.

It has nothing to do with reasons for firing, hiring, or anything unless you are implying union representation when you got fired.

An employer can fire you for any lawful reason, they can fire you for no reason anywhere in the US as long as it is not discriminatory. An employer is most likely to produce a reason because it is protection against discrimination complaints.

No, it means that employers can always bring the rock bottom desperate in order to replace strikers (union or not). Strikebreaking is the heart and "soul" of the "right to work".

"Right to work" is a wonderful euphemism for the "Right of the Employers to Force Labor into wages/benefits/work conditions of their (employer's) choice". "Right to work" robs the labor of the only effective bargaining "tool" it has - a threat of a strike or a strike. A wage slave with a "right to work" has a "choice" of taking employer's demands up his/her arse or losing a job, food & shelter, bargaining is not an option. It's a miracle how everything work itself out in the "free" market systems, where labor is always (except the times of a BIG war) in huge surplus compared to the number of jobs.

You cannot get unemployment if you are fired (blood sucking biatches), it always tempting for an employer to come up with a bogus reason for a termination, yet too many terminations will raise many red flags pointing at somebody's undisguised desire to save on unemployment insurance. Thus, there are "lay offs". Some industries like trucking are exempt and "famous" for almost never laying off workers, it's so easy for them to come up with an arbitrary (yet hard to impossible to comply with) job requirements that virtually guarantee plenty of "reasons" for terminations if extremely high turn over rate is not enough to do the dirty job. Some especially brazen trucking companies even advertize "We never had lay offs" to lure in unaware suckers. Yup, it's America - the land of dumb and scared wage slaves.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:57 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,742,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
You cannot get unemployment if you are fired (blood sucking biatches), it always tempting for an employer to come up with a bogus reason for a termination, yet too many terminations will raise many red flags pointing at somebody's undisguised desire to save on unemployment insurance.
That is absolutely incorrect. You can only be denied unemployment if you resign or if you are fired for some kind of fraud.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
No, it means that employers can always bring the rock bottom desperate in order to replace strikers (union or not). Strikebreaking is the heart and "soul" of the "right to work".

"Right to work" is a wonderful euphemism for the "Right of the Employers to Force Labor into wages/benefits/work conditions of their (employer's) choice". "Right to work" robs the labor of the only effective bargaining "tool" it has - a threat of a strike or a strike. A wage slave with a "right to work" has a "choice" of taking employer's demands up his/her arse or losing a job, food & shelter, bargaining is not an option. It's a miracle how everything work itself out in the "free" market systems, where labor is always (except the times of a BIG war) in huge surplus compared to the number of jobs.

You cannot get unemployment if you are fired (blood sucking biatches), it always tempting for an employer to come up with a bogus reason for a termination, yet too many terminations will raise many red flags pointing at somebody's undisguised desire to save on unemployment insurance. Thus, there are "lay offs". Some industries like trucking are exempt and "famous" for almost never laying off workers, it's so easy for them to come up with an arbitrary (yet hard to impossible to comply with) job requirements that virtually guarantee plenty of "reasons" for terminations if extremely high turn over rate is not enough to do the dirty job. Some especially brazen trucking companies even advertize "We never had lay offs" to lure in unaware suckers. Yup, it's America - the land of dumb and scared wage slaves.
Right to work does not mean a place cannot have a union, many unions operate in companies in right to work states, I use to be in one. All it means is that a person cannot be forced to join a union if he/she wants employment.

Right to work has nothing to with the rest of your post. The same thing you described happens in every state. Low wages happen in every state, even in union jobs (my union job was a whopping $9 an hour for a skilled technician).

A person cannot claim unemployment if they were fired for misconduct, and the burden is on the employer to prove the misconduct. A person can receive unemployment if they are laid off, or even furloughed.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 PM

12,022 posts, read 12,722,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Correct

Quote:

Incorrect

Old 11-03-2011, 03:13 AM

8,488 posts, read 19,248,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpena1973 View Post
Well, i think its unfair, i had just started working at BSA and because my spanish is not perfect they couldn't as i was told keep me and this after only 2 weeks. I speak spanish and it may not be perfect but I was raised here in the USA in NY, my parents are Puerto Rican and Colombian and because my spanish is Americanized they couldn't keep me. 1st of all our primary language in the USA is English so now I HAVE to be BILINGUAL to obtain a job. By the way I live in south Florida where immigrants migrate to. Why cant they learn english to obtain jobs instead of us having to learn spanish or creole to have to communicate with them?
If a job was looking for someone bilingual and you are not truly bilingual it seems they have every right to fire you.
You don't have to be bilingual to get a job, there are many jobs that don't require it. Just don't apply for one that asks for someone who is bilingual if you are not.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 AM

12,135 posts, read 14,662,607 times
Totally incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo48 View Post
right to work means right to fired with no reasons given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida