U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 14,701,666 times

Advertisements

With a lot of the attitudes here, I can see why some would have a problem keeping a job. Here or anywhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,133,301 times
Funny how the only thing that Republicans want to "protect" workers from, are the unions.

right-to-work is not a freedom. it's a restriction on employers, making it illegal to require a membership fee as a condition of employment.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,181,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Funny how the only thing that Republicans want to "protect" workers from, are the unions.

right-to-work is not a freedom. it's a restriction on employers, making it illegal to require a membership fee as a condition of employment.
I used to be in a union, unions today are much different than they were in the past. I'd say the exception is the UAW, but most unions today collect their dues and do virtually nothing for you.

If you're making $8/hr in Florida, why would you want to pay $10/week in union dues ?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM

23,798 posts, read 36,385,911 times
[quote=things and stuff;25951212
right-to-work is not a freedom. it's a restriction on employers, making it illegal to require a membership fee as a condition of employment.[/QUOTE]

Missing is the fact that Florida (along with Pennsylvania and Texas) are "At-Will" states which means employees not working under contract have zero protection from lawful termination which is defined as most anything not involving discrimination or violation of public policy. In other words, an employer can say "I don't like the way you looked at me" and legally fire an employee here in Florida. The exceptions of course are interstate corporations who do business in non-right to work/at-will states who have to document carefully violation of company policy and have procedures in place to prevent litigation via termination.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM

8,488 posts, read 19,279,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I used to be in a union, unions today are much different than they were in the past. I'd say the exception is the UAW, but most unions today collect their dues and do virtually nothing for you.

If you're making $8/hr in Florida, why would you want to pay $10/week in union dues ?
Even 30 years ago unions were just a racket, I was in the carpenters union in NY when I was 18-19 and the head of our local hired non-union workers to build out a restaurant. He got a few caps to the arse for that.

I worked many a small job that we were told we needed a shop steward on the job and it took me twice as long to get the job done because he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:09 PM

110 posts, read 240,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

You're correct, unions are different today than they used to be. I remember 10 years, a friend of mine said the same thing you did. My argument was that you get paid more because of that $10/week fee. It sounded stupid at the time; however, now the same person makes $27 an hour. I still believe, if there was no union he wouldn't be making that amount.

Generally speaking, union jobs means higher wage jobs. So..when governors brag about growing non union jobs--usually they are speaking about low income jobs.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:24 AM

23,798 posts, read 36,385,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferr0052 View Post
Generally speaking, union jobs means higher wage jobs. So..when governors brag about growing non union jobs--usually they are speaking about low income jobs.
Exactly! Which keeps their rich corporate buddies very happy.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,126,193 times
The Department of Labors own website has factual statistics about how much lower wages are and lesser benefits workers in Right to Work states suffer. I am in a union, and certainly NOT a fan of them, but there needs to be some safeguard against total exploitation of workers. Florida suffers some of the worst wages/working environment in the country. I know when I lived there I was simply amazed what was status quo for business there. RTW is falsely promoted/propaganda'ized to make unions seem evil and and (RTW)a benefit to workers, when in fact it is simply a way for corporations to make more profit. By utilizing ALEC based initiatives and lobbying politicians, wages and benefits are systematically being lowered across the country. RTW is the forefront of this assault. I'm all for choice in the workplace, but RTW is disingenuous and not good for anyone except corporations.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:43 PM

12,021 posts, read 12,760,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferr0052 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly! Which keeps their rich corporate buddies very happy.
Tell that to all the non-union auto workers and Boeing workers who are making $25+/hour in the south. You two sound like some bitter Seattle Boeing guys who got pissed off when the company decided to pick SC for their new plant instead of keeping the work in Seattle

Old 09-08-2012, 10:13 PM

110 posts, read 240,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Tell that to all the non-union auto workers and Boeing workers who are making $25+/hour in the south. You two sound like some bitter Seattle Boeing guys who got pissed off when the company decided to pick SC for their new plant instead of keeping the work in Seattle
I don't know where Boeing came into play here; however, boeing opened a plant there due to tax incentives by the state. I'm sure you correct, that there is a cost of living difference wage between SC and WA. However, if I were a leader of a state I would be promoting the "union" wage to bring all that money into my state.

Anyway, wage aside, I would be interested to know what benefits they "lost" by being non-union. I'm talking about health insurance, injury protection, safety, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida