U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,955,272 times

Advertisements

They can terminate you without a reason, but most will give you a reason whether valid or not so they won't have to pay you unemployment benefits. They can just say 'you didn't do your job' and in most cases that is reason enough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,907,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins View Post
Actually, no, I don't think an employer should be forced to keep an employee if they have good reason to fire them. What I DO have a problem with, is constantly hearing people fear for their jobs. Example......I don't think people should be fired for being sick or for not being able to work due to a genuine crisis. Heck, there was a woman on the news on TV here yesterday, she was in her night-clothes, watching her house burn, yet her main concern was calling work to let them know, she was afraid of getting fired for not turning in! And the poor woman's house was on fire!

And I know you didn't want personal examples, but I'm giving you mine anyway. I have a 2 year contract with my employer, I cannot leave within 2 years because they sponsored me from the UK. Fair enough, they deserve the right to keep me for 2 years......but I have NO rights at all! Sure, they can fire me if they want and don't even have to give me a reason. But I can't resign. Basically, they own me for 2 years. Oh did I say "contract"? Hmm, thought a contract involved 2 parties, but not this one, it's all one-sided.

Just seems to me employers in Florida can do what the heck they like with you, and employees have no rights at all.

I just think it's a basic human right to be sick without being in fear of losing your job.
so they put a gun to your head and made you sign?
me thinks not. i think they put the t's and c's in front of you, went through the labourious and costly process of sponsoring you and you signed of your own free will. if you wanted employment rights you should've stayed here in europe where you can be sick as often as you like.

on the topic of "chucking sickies" conglomerates are well positioned to take the blow on the chin. the small man starting out is not that lucky as they rely on maximum productivity to compete with leviathans. people then wonder why the world is being taken over by the likes of mcdonalds and starbucks.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,907,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
good luck finding a judge that agrees with you.

again, unless you are at a high level and involved in trade secrets, they are worthless and only written to scare employees. It usually works.

this is typical of what is going on in this country right now. the balance of power has tilted so far to the side of buiness, and the people seem to do nothing about it. And then they wonder why their standard of living continues to drop.

Profits are up and employee pay is down, just the way cooporations like it.

agreed, restraints of this kind aren't worth the paper they're written on unless the company has unlimited reserves of cash/time to take it further. they normally couldn't be bothered.

the balance of power has shifted because of excess regulation. when i first started out it was easy. limited red tape. regulation has hurt the small man and made it difficult to compete. the big guys can cope no problem. if the do have a problem they just run off to mr bernanke(hurting savers) and to congress(hurting taxpayers). when i had problems 15 years ago, lost my small business and had to accept 40 cents on the dollar for my house, they were nowhere to be found.

they need to level the playing field, no more bailouts, regulations, subsidies, concessions. if the little guy is then tired of taking bs from his boss or gets the sack he can set up shop on his own.

......at least in an ideal world!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 AM

126 posts, read 540,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
me thinks not. i think they put the t's and c's in front of you, went through the labourious and costly process of sponsoring you and you signed of your own free will. if you wanted employment rights you should've stayed here in europe where you can be sick as often as you like.
If you read back what I wrote in post #15 you'll see I am quite happy with my own personal situation, and I will remain loyal to my employer for getting me here.

I was contributing to this thread in a generalised way, offering my opinion on the "right to work" status.....and it is only that, my opinion.

Oh and, I've not pulled a single sickie since I've been here.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:57 AM

986 posts, read 3,342,330 times
I have to agree with you here. This is the situation here in Florida, if you dont like it its kind of tough luck. Many people who want to come here would give their left arm to have a company sponsor them even if they dont give you any rights. In all honesty to come over here you got a good deal. I dont rely on anyone because i put my own destiny in my own hands which is why im self employed.

People understand that is the situation here and deal with it. Just as people deal with the extortionate gas prices and cost of living in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post

on the topic of "chucking sickies" conglomerates are well positioned to take the blow on the chin. the small man starting out is not that lucky as they rely on maximum productivity to compete with leviathans. people then wonder why the world is being taken over by the likes of mcdonalds and starbucks.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:01 AM

126 posts, read 540,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
I have to agree with you here. This is the situation here in Florida, if you dont like it its kind of tough luck. Many people who want to come here would give their left arm to have a company sponsor them even if they dont give you any rights. In all honesty to come over here you got a good deal.
Oh for God's sake! I wish you people would take the time to read the whole thread if you're going to make patronising comments.

Once again.......I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT MY OWN PERSONAL SITUATION.

Jeez

Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 AM

986 posts, read 3,342,330 times
Im sorry you felt that was directed at you because it wasnt. We have already discussed this in the past. I was merely saying that you did get a great deal and people would give their left arm for the deal you got. I know you dont have a problem with that and you know your lucky because we have discussed this on this very same thread in the past. what i was saying that the situation here is the norm for here, just like gas prices are high in the UK and that is the norm there. There are alot of people who do moan about it and i would simply say they should move to another state or stay in Europe if they feel that way.

Perhaps you should read peoples previous comments aswell...;-) or not forget me...lol Im quite frankly hurt and insulted you could forget me. Im not forgetable am i...;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins View Post
Oh for God's sake! I wish you people would take the time to read the whole thread if you're going to make patronising comments.

Once again.......I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT MY OWN PERSONAL SITUATION.

Jeez

Old 12-31-2009, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 15,050 times
I feel and believe the same thing. The people of these states need to come together and get a amendment that protects employees also. I have worked some jobs where I have seen people lose their jobs because upper management hires family members and fires the good workers.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:33 PM

It is unfair and hard to prove to unemployment that it was not your fault why you no longer work for a specific company. The laws of unemployment needs to change, from my understanding you earn those benefits and therefore you should be entitled to those benefits regardless what lie the company may have told to deny you those benefits

Old 12-31-2009, 01:38 PM

This is a bad thing. Just imagine working for a company for 25 or more years. Now comes the time when you may want to retire. I have seen and heard plenty of stories where these companies have gotten rid of that employee and now that employee has nothing. They could not even get their retirement they were entitle to. One said they went to a lawyer and was told there was nothing they can do for them It is a right to work state. It is sad that,that person has nothing but social security and cannot maintain their living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida