Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times

Advertisements

Production workers at Hyundai's new $1 billion plant in Montgomery, Ala., will make $14 an hour to start. That may increase to as much as $21 an hour over two years. Most new production workers are hired as temps, what benefits you are talking about? Yup, "good wage" definition is definitely on the slide in good ole USA. Let's wait for Chinese automakers to move in and to make $7/hr a good wage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Production workers at Hyundai's new $1 billion plant in Montgomery, Ala., will make $14 an hour to start. That may increase to as much as $21 an hour over two years. Most new production workers are hired as temps, what benefits you are talking about? Yup, "good wage" definition is definitely on the slide in good ole USA. Let's wait for Chinese automakers to move in and to make $7/hr a good wage
The Hyundai plant is near Greenville, where you can get a decent house for $80k, so yes, $20 an hour is a good wage. And by benefits I mean good health insurance and 401k. I know several people that work there and they were not hired as temps.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Nothing is unfair except being forced to join a group and pay dues as a condition of working in a certain job.
Right to work (for less) laws force Unions to spend their resources defending freeloaders. How is that fair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Hyundai in Alabama and Kia in Georgia are both non-union plants that pay good wages and provide excellent benefits. It's amazing how many people from MI and OH that were trying to move down here to get those jobs.
Those non-union employees only make those wages because of the courageous Union members who fought hard to raise the industry standards.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 09-23-2010 at 11:58 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 01:44 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Those non-union employees only make those wages because of the courageous Union members who fought hard to raise the industry standards.
This. If it weren't for unions there would be no:
Underage labor laws
Retirement plans
401(k)
Vacation days
Holiday
Overtime

In other words, without unions to dictate labor laws, we'd have 14 year olds working factories and being replaced by younger kids when they, maybe, reach 20... No retirement plans, so, everyone would be broke.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:38 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:

How much should these workers get paid?? Also, you don;t know what their benefit package is like which could easily increase what the company is paying them overall. Their $21/hr wage could be costing the company $35/hr is they have good benefits. I think getting a job for $21/hr with benefits for uneducated people living in Alabama is pretty good.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:31 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
How much should these workers get paid?? Also, you don;t know what their benefit package is like which could easily increase what the company is paying them overall. Their $21/hr wage could be costing the company $35/hr is they have good benefits. I think getting a job for $21/hr with benefits for uneducated people living in Alabama is pretty good.
This.This.This. ^^^^

Old 09-24-2010, 07:48 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
So your point? More desperate slave get a job by lowering his compensation expectations, thus desperation and willingness to take any object up your arse is a good survival strategy? Guess what, there is no clearly defined wage bottom owning class will be satisfied with, you will be always overpaid as far as employers are concerned.

If you are willing to take a hard object up your arse to survive a day, guess what, it will not stop at 10 inches deep, it will be getting into you deeper, deeper and deeper until your eyes pop out. Get ready and enjoy
Yeah that's why the non-union workers get wages comparable to the UAW workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Hyundai in Alabama and Kia in Georgia are both non-union plants that pay good wages and provide excellent benefits. It's amazing how many people from MI and OH that were trying to move down here to get those jobs.
Bingo.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
COL is lower in the south than states like MI, OH and upstate NY where many of the auto factories were traditionally located.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
In other words, without unions to dictate labor laws, we'd have 14 year olds working factories and being replaced by younger kids when they, maybe, reach 20... No retirement plans, so, everyone would be broke.
Care to show me how unions created OSHA ***MOD CUT***

Oh wait --- Richard nixon signed it into law

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 09-24-2010 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Rude post- WARNING.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 AM

749 posts, read 2,437,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
No, you can't. They are legal.
You're right about the non-competes, I have witnessed a Sheriff with a copy of non-compete in hand remove an individual from his new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Another thing they can do is pay you minimum wage for whatever they owe you. So, if you were making $15/hr, they can pay you $6.79/hr for the reamining checks they owe you. I was on salary and the boss wanted me to do more hours without paying more. (not to mention, I was already full-time and didn't want more hours) I told him no, got my check and those additional hours he wanted me to do were deducted from my check. (16 hours) couldn't get the money back either.
You're right also, had it happen to me once. Actually they can get away with paying you nothing except when a company has over a certain amount of employees (say 30 for example) and they are involved in interstate commerce, then it becomes a federal matter so they elect to pay you min. wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida