Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 02:40 PM

8 posts, read 11,772 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am 23 years old and am looking to move to Tampa or Miami. I am looking for marketing or event planning/management jobs in the hospitality, tourism and travel industry, and both places seem great for that. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews for Tampa and Miami as well. I’ve also heard Tampa is a more beach, chill vibe and Miami is a big city vibe with a beach...A little bit about myself, I enjoy being social, I’m laid back, enjoy the beach and the humidity, I love exploring the community with things going on, and enjoy meeting new people. I’d love some insight in which would be better for a young adult. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 03:41 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Via your brief explanation of yourself I would say Tampa. Something to consider as well is cost of living where Miami is quite a bit more expensive than Tampa, especially in terms of rental housing. I would urge you to look into Tampa's neighbor St Petersburg which has arguably the hottest downtown area in the state over the past several years with a lot of new restaurants, bars, music venues, galleries and shops not to mention some great museums as well.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:10 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingchic101 View Post
Hi! I am 23 years old and am looking to move to Tampa or Miami. I am looking for marketing or event planning/management jobs in the hospitality, tourism and travel industry, and both places seem great for that. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews for Tampa and Miami as well. I’ve also heard Tampa is a more beach, chill vibe and Miami is a big city vibe with a beach...A little bit about myself, I enjoy being social, I’m laid back, enjoy the beach and the humidity, I love exploring the community with things going on, and enjoy meeting new people. I’d love some insight in which would be better for a young adult. Thanks!
While you could find work in the tourism industry in any of Florida's bigger cities, I'm curious as to why Orlando wasn't considered given it being the top city for conventions, America's #1 tourist destination, the #2 largest convention center in the country, the #2 city in the country for hotel rooms, etc. Is it just the beach?

Nevertheless, between Tampa and Miami, I would choose Tampa for the same reasons Kyle would because of the affordability component. However, as a 23 year old, your tolerance for doing whatever needs to be done to make big city life work may be higher than those who are older.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:41 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
While you could find work in the tourism industry in any of Florida's bigger cities, I'm curious as to why Orlando wasn't considered given it being the top city for conventions, America's #1 tourist destination, the #2 largest convention center in the country, the #2 city in the country for hotel rooms, etc. Is it just the beach?
I think because unlike the coastal cities in FL there just isn't that beachy vibe here in Orlando and if dropped in from somewhere else without knowing what city you were in, might at first glance feel like you were in any larger suburban sprawl Sunbelt city. The coastal feel by and large just isn't here, and what does come off that way is manufactured.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:16 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
I too, agree with Tampa. There is a lot to pull from in the expanded Tampa Bay Area, such as St. Pete to the west and Sarasota just little to the south. Overall less expensive than Miami, and lots going on.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:44 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I too, agree with Tampa. There is a lot to pull from in the expanded Tampa Bay Area, such as St. Pete to the west and Sarasota just little to the south. Overall less expensive than Miami, and lots going on.
I’d even venture to say there is ALMOST as much going on in the Tampa Bay Area (when factoring in St-Pete/Clearwater and other nearby areas) as there is in the Miami area — just at a much slower pace

And really, if you MUST be in the middle of more action for a day or two, you can easily just drive an hour or so to Orlando for a quick change, and then go back.
If I could pick anywhere to be in Florida, I’d also pick TB.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:33 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I’d even venture to say there is ALMOST as much going on in the Tampa Bay Area (when factoring in St-Pete/Clearwater and other nearby areas) as there is in the Miami area — just at a much slower pace

And really, if you MUST be in the middle of more action for a day or two, you can easily just drive an hour or so to Orlando for a quick change, and then go back.
If I could pick anywhere to be in Florida, I’d also pick TB.
Great post, agree on all points. Tampa for me as well.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:10 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times
There are A LOT more jobs, A LOT more things to do and A LOT more opportunities in general in Miami. Since you didn't say that affordability is a priority, but you did say that finding jobs in events/travel etc. and social life are priorities, I would recommend Miami. You are extremely young and you have plenty of time to move to cheaper (and much slower) Tampa later, in your 30s, when you need to find an affordable house and your social calendar is filled with more trips to Costco than trips to clubs.

Go enjoy Miami. It is a global superstar destination that everyone knows and many people dream about living in! The same cannot be said about Tampa.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:26 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
^

Except that Miami is anything BUT laid back.

There are definitely not "A LOT more jobs" in Miami, nor are there more opportunities. They are quite comparable when it comes to that.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:37 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
^

Except that Miami is anything BUT laid back.

There are definitely not "A LOT more jobs" in Miami, nor are there more opportunities. They are quite comparable when it comes to that.

And the difference in quality of life alone leans heavily towards Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida