Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 09:57 AM

24,324 posts, read 26,708,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Out of all the major Florida cites Tampa seems to get the least amount of hate. Tampa is not as touristy as Orlando or Miami nor is it as written-off as Jacksonville as just another bland Redneck city that often gets labeled as South Georgia. Tampa seems to be the most liked city in Florida by it residents. I'm sure Tampa suffers the same issues as it's peer cities but I just don't see much hate for Tampa like I do for the other 3 big Florida metros.

Maybe on city-data, but in reality, Tampa doesn't feel like Florida to me. It feels like it belongs in Georgia or somewhere along there. Jupiter to Miami, feels like quintessential Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 10:00 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Maybe on city-data, but in reality, Tampa doesn't feel like Florida to me. It feels like it belongs in Georgia or somewhere along there. Jupiter to Miami, feels like quintessential Florida.
I think you are due for another visit to the Tampa Bay area... Jupiter to Pompano doesn't feel all that different than most of Tampa Bay (particularly Pinellas County.) Get out of Hillsborough lol.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I think you are due for another visit to the Tampa Bay area... Jupiter to Pompano doesn't feel all that different than most of Tampa Bay (particularly Pinellas County.) Get out of Hillsborough lol.

I'll be there again today, going to St. Petersburg & Tampa, but I don't know, it just feels like run down strip malls to me, Ybor City reminds me of Nashville, downtown Tampa is just very generic, Clearwater Beach is fine, but there really isn't anything there and Clearwater itself is more run down strip malls, St. Petersburg is nice on that one street in downtown, but the rest of it just strip malls. Hyde Park itself is nice, but feels more Southern and once again surrounded by run down looking areas.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:11 AM

490 posts, read 466,142 times
Quote:
I'll be there again today, going to St. Petersburg & Tampa, but I don't know, it just feels like run down strip malls to me, Ybor City reminds me of Nashville, downtown Tampa is just very generic, Clearwater Beach is fine, but there really isn't anything there and Clearwater itself is more run down strip malls, St. Petersburg is nice on that one street in downtown, but the rest of it just strip malls. Hyde Park itself is nice, but feels more Southern and once again surrounded by run down looking areas.
Are there any places in the US without rundown strip malls? lol

Old 02-13-2020, 10:18 AM

4,442 posts, read 3,756,434 times
Quote:
Ybor City reminds me of Nashville, downtown Tampa is just very generic, Clearwater Beach is fine, but there really isn't anything there and Clearwater itself is more run down strip malls, St. Petersburg is nice on that one street in downtown, but the rest of it just strip malls. Hyde Park itself is nice, but feels more Southern and once again surrounded by run down looking areas.

This is exactly correct!

Old 02-13-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Ybor=Nashville is the perfect comparison lol. Neither one of which I like.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
Are there any places in the US without rundown strip malls? lol

What I'm saying is there seems to be an abundance, more than normal amount of them in the Tampa Bay area. I truly want to like the area because I like road trips, exploring, etc. However, each time I go there with high hopes that I missed something, it's just more disappointment. There will be one small area that is nice and then you leave feeling good instantly to spend the majority of your drive going through neglected looking areas and streets. Tampa has a low crime rate for Florida, but it just looks very unkept. Maybe because there aren't many tourists, so the city doesn't care about simple things like street landscaping, etc, but for me, I truly appreciate those kinds of things in daily life. That's one of the reasons I like Orlando a lot is that a good chunk of the city, even in bad areas like Metrowest, have nice landscaping, sidewalks, etc. Miami also has a lot of areas with nice landscaping too. However, driving around Tampa Bay, it feels like the majority of the drive will look shabby and unkept. When I have out of town visitors who haven't been to Florida, I'll take them to Siesta Key or South Florida because driving to Clearwater Beach is pretty depressing when going through Clearwater.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Ybor=Nashville is the perfect comparison lol. Neither one of which I like.

lol

Old 02-13-2020, 10:28 AM

490 posts, read 466,142 times
Quote:
What I'm saying is there seems to be an abundance, more than normal amount of them in the Tampa Bay area. I truly want to like the area because I like road trips, exploring, etc. However, each time I go there with high hopes that I missed something, it's just more disappointment. There will be one small area that is nice and then you leave feeling good instantly to spend the majority of your drive going through neglected looking areas and streets. Tampa has a low crime rate for Florida, but it just looks very unkept. Maybe because there aren't many tourists, so the city doesn't care about simple things like street landscaping, etc, but for me, I truly appreciate those kinds of things in daily life. That's one of the reasons I like Orlando a lot is that a good chunk of the city, even in bad areas like Metrowest, have nice landscaping, sidewalks, etc. Miami also has a lot of areas with nice landscaping too. However, driving around Tampa Bay, it feels like the majority of the drive will look shabby and unkept. When I have out of town visitors who haven't been to Florida, I'll take them to Siesta Key or South Florida because driving to Clearwater Beach is pretty depressing when going through Clearwater.
I don’t disagree I just think it’s more prominent than you think. Boca, Delray, Fort Lauderdale you go from good to bad pretty quickly. Bradenton nearby siesta key/Sarasota...and the camping world area in Orlando which is as bad as it gets.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
I don’t disagree I just think it’s more prominent than you think. Boca, Delray, Fort Lauderdale you go from good to bad pretty quickly. Bradenton nearby siesta key/Sarasota...and the camping world area in Orlando which is as bad as it gets.
Well... That's the ghetto lol. One of the worst neighborhoods in the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida