Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 03:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
You're right! I did confuse the two. I did mean Deland. Thanks for the correction.
No problem at all, Jonathan! It really did throw me, though.

I would also rate DeLand as the superior place over any that were mentioned. I grew up going there for years, a large branch of my family was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 05:21 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Nah. I've been to the Northeast. Just this past December, I stayed overnight in Bayonne, NJ in an apartment.

If you're a Yankee and you want a slower pace, rural NJ and PA are very nice. Small town New England is nice as well.

If you want warmer weather, there are 1,000 places in Florida more desirable than Palm Coast, for the same price.

My conclusion: Yankees are weird, or they just have very bad taste.
I agree, many beautiful places up north. If I was independently wealthy, I'd love to live in those kinds of places. But, the taxes are killer. My cousin had a place in rural NJ - property taxes were $11K and this was like 10 years ago...

More and more people move down here because of economics. Yeah property is generally cheaper down here, but you only buy it once. Taxes are forever.

FWIW, in my case, I find that I have more in common with "redneck Floridians" than the many people in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:35 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I agree, many beautiful places up north. If I was independently wealthy, I'd love to live in those kinds of places. But, the taxes are killer. My cousin had a place in rural NJ - property taxes were $11K and this was like 10 years ago...

More and more people move down here because of economics. Yeah property is generally cheaper down here, but you only buy it once. Taxes are forever.

FWIW, in my case, I find that I have more in common with "redneck Floridians" than the many people in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
Fair enough. Just please, for all of our sakes, don't vote for the same type of politicians they vote for up north. We like our low taxes, TYVM.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:18 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
First, Spring Hill is not a city.
It's semantics.

Quote:
It's basically a planned residential community. There is no town square or anything like that.
I know that, that's what I was asking about. As a planned community, how does it function. It, along with the other 2, look like absolutely nothing special to me, just a collective of cookie cutter houses with a few strip malls, so I wanted to hear how that observation is wrong.

Quote:
In terms of activities there's lots of outdoor stuff people do - fishing, kayaking, boating, hunting, hiking, biking, and so forth.
You can do all this IN Spring Hill? Or you have to leave Spring Hill?

Quote:
Regarding restaurants and that sort of thing, yes we have all the typical chain restaurants but there's some darn good mom and pop restaurants here.
Interesting. That's what I was curious about, because on the map it looks like a ground zero for chains. And when I say local I don't necessarily mean "mom and pop."

Quote:
I can be in Tampa in 45 minutes to an hour, depending on what part. So, if there's an event or something I want to attend, it's not a big deal. Same goes for Clearwater, etc.
That is fair. That Spring Hill/Deltona/Palm Coast lifestyle is not for me, even when it's time to move to suburbia, but I understand some people are okay with having the basic necessities, and then driving to the big city every now and then if they need a little more.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:19 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Fair enough. Just please, for all of our sakes, don't vote for the same type of politicians they vote for up north. We like our low taxes, TYVM.

Amen to that. Trust me, that is definitely not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You can do all this IN Spring Hill? Or you have to leave Spring Hill?

The immediate area, I am five miles from the Gulf. Sandwiched between Spring Hill and the Gulf is Weeki-Wachee and Hernando Beach. That's where you can do all the kayaking and fishing. I have a buddy who lives in Hernando Beach, has a waterfront property with a boat dock. I can be at his house in about 7 minutes. Ten minutes north of me, people are hunting out in the woods.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 692 times
What is so wrong with Palm Coast?

Old 05-07-2020, 12:33 PM

313 posts, read 218,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyncole777 View Post
What is so wrong with Palm Coast?
Nothing WRONG with it per say, but it fits this definition:

Quote:
all 3 come off as planned suburban wastelands with the typical chain restaurants, shopping centers centered around a Walmart, and curly road layouts.
To many, including to me, it comes off as an incredibly bland place.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:37 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,432 times
What is the age of the OP? Would make a world of difference. If under 40, maybe even 50 you will probably not like those towns.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:24 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,788 times
Quote:
EDIT: I meant Palm Coast, not Palm Bay.

I've never been to any of these cities, haven't had any reason to. Looking at Google Maps, all 3 come off as planned suburban wastelands with the typical chain restaurants, shopping centers centered around a Walmart, and curly road layouts.

I'm purely curious, what do people have to do in these cities? Is there anything close to a downtown core or town square? Are there local restaurants and shops or is it all chains? Any nightlife? City culture? Things for many demographics ie kids, young adults, families, seniors, etc? Or are they the ultimate suburbs where they solely exist for you to live and sleep, and maybe work? I know the Villages is one large retirement community, but it still apparently has a square and community events.

What's the appeal of these 3? Other than I presume having cheap housing. If you're in Spring Hill, why not just go south to New Tampa? Or even Wesley Chapel.

To call them these places "suburban wastelands" is a downright nasty sideswipe. People live and work in these places. Sounds like you have a predetermined mindset. Why don't you visit each one and talk to people and ask why they like living where they are You may be surprised.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:45 PM

313 posts, read 218,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulla5 View Post
I used to live in Palm Coast, it is a suburban wasteland that is aimed for retirees. If you aren't a retiree, then Palm Coast is less than stellar.
And same with Deltona and Spring Hill.
“Those who work there?” Most of working age who live there don’t work there, and have nasty commutes into actual towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida