Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 09:46 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I understand that 480,000 Americans die each year from smoking (one way or another.) That is not to minimize the impact of covid in ay way but it does give you a bit of perspective.
Note that many states have banned smoking in workplaces and public spaces, thus minimizing any negative effects from secondhand smoke, and could be called an early form of social distancing. The original smoking bans on airlines apparently were often pushed by flight attendant groups and unions who felt like the actions of smoking passengers were making them sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 12:28 PM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
That is not to minimize the impact of covid in any way but it does give you a bit of perspective.
Let's keep in perspective that officially in the US, flu season is six months long, from October to March. CoViD-19 started here in February, so let's give it until August before we start making more meaningful comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
218 deaths.....out of over 21 million people
So far, compared to almost all other highly populated States, Florida is doing relatively well (Texas seems to be doing better). As mentioned, "only" 218 deaths and the daily percentage increase in total cases has been stable over the past six days at around 13%, so no sharp upward spikes but still high numbers, and the data on daily new cases are erratic, in part at least probably due to changes in testing methods and the quantity of testing. At the same time, hospital capacity seems to be adequate for the moment in most Florida counties.

As everyone knows, the next two weeks will be crucial.

Let's assume that officially reported cases reflect reality in some proportion (while hospitalizations and deaths are real numbers, see above). On that basis, Italy started to plateau at around 6000-7000 new cases per day into the third week of lock down and it has continued to plateau at around 4000-5000 new cases per day into the fourth week of lock down. Dade County is into its third week of lock down, hopefully daily new cases will plateau at no more than 500 by the end of this week, then go down noticeably afterwards.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:42 PM

30,429 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Blazing above normal temps is helping the state.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:46 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Default Beaches dangerous during COVID-19 epidemic

<<The beach, in her estimation, is one of the most dangerous places to be these days, as the novel coronavirus marches silently across California.
Many beachgoers know they can suffer skin rashes, stomach illness and serious ear and respiratory infections if they go into the water within three days of a heavy rain, because of bacteria and pathogens washing off roads and into the ocean. Raw or poorly treated sewage entering the ocean also poses major health risks.
Prather fears that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could enter coastal waters in similar ways and transfer back into the air along the coast.>>

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavir...140029412.html

Old 04-05-2020, 07:19 PM
on3

498 posts, read 384,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
<<The beach, in her estimation, is one of the most dangerous places to be these days, as the novel coronavirus marches silently across California.
Many beachgoers know they can suffer skin rashes, stomach illness and serious ear and respiratory infections if they go into the water within three days of a heavy rain, because of bacteria and pathogens washing off roads and into the ocean. Raw or poorly treated sewage entering the ocean also poses major health risks.
Prather fears that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could enter coastal waters in similar ways and transfer back into the air along the coast.>>

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavir...140029412.html
Correct. Going to any beach in the USA needs to be banned. We don't need to increase the rate of the spread of the virus because surfer dude is worried about being pitted in the next wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ckCAUVOn0

Old 04-05-2020, 07:29 PM

417 posts, read 267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Correct. Going to any beach in the USA needs to be banned. We don't need to increase the rate of the spread of the virus because surfer dude is worried about being pitted in the next wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ckCAUVOn0
Now that is funny!

Old 04-05-2020, 07:41 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
Now that is funny!
How articulate. Yow.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:41 AM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
I understand that 480,000 Americans die each year from smoking (one way or another.) That is not to minimize the impact of covid in any way but it does give you a bit of perspective.
Thx for the perspective. My Mother was a smoking fatality (COPD), and my Step Mother had stage 3 lung cancer (survived). Needless to say, after seeing death, and near death, up close, I've only ventured out 2 times in 22 days. I'm not going out for the next 10..at least.

Breathing difficulty is horrible. Stay home people.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:52 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thx for the perspective. My Mother was a smoking fatality (COPD), and my Step Mother had stage 3 lung cancer (survived). Needless to say, after seeing death, and near death, up close, I've only ventured out 2 times in 22 days. I'm not going out for the next 10..at least.

Breathing difficulty is horrible. Stay home people.
Sorry about your mom and step mom. My step dad also had COPD from smoking and it killed him. In fact, his experience might be an object lesson for today’s crisis. I cared about him but the truth is that he was arrogant about the risks of smoking. He would literally have a cigarette burning in two different rooms at the same time. He always had a cig going, morning to night and I have no doubt that I was exposed to a lot of second hand smoke as a result. We always tried to get him to stop, he knew the risks, but he didn’t believe he could be affected because he “didn’t inhale”. His end of life was anything but unaffected.

That same arrogance has undoubtedly caused the spread of covid19 and lots of needless deaths. #STFAH and wear a mask outside if you are in any place where there are other people.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:23 AM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
Quote:
#STFAH

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida