Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2020, 02:33 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So I'm supposed to wreck my lung function for the ret of my life because some special snowflake's 'feelings' get hurt when they're asked to wear a mask?
I have no idea what your rant has to do with what I posted.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 05:08 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
It has everything to do with what you just posted, actually.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:09 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I don't think NYC should gloat, but at the same time they did get quite blindsided by this whole thing. So to an extent the virus had an early advantage of creeping in there in a dense population before anyone realized it.

I do wish DeSantis would enact some kind of persuasion toward masks though, like make them mandatory, but for some reason it won't happen. At least he does wear them though, which is a lot more than I see for a lot of our national government. At least there is leading by example, even if it isn't by force.
DeSantis is letting local leaders make the mask calls for each of their communities.

Much of Florida is rural farm/livestock lands that have little exposure to C-19, & ample space to distance.

Then, there's Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, Broward County that are part of a densely-populated metro area.

Each environment calls for its own protective restrictions.

By DeSantis not throwing a single policy over the entire state, he is allowing people & the economy to function fully where possible.

This is not a cookie-cutter one-size-fits-all situation. DeSantis is too smart to restrict people unneccessarily.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:20 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
DeSantis is too smart to restrict people unneccessarily.[/u][/b]
Actually he is too afraid of angering Trump to actually lead us. He makes decisions like a North Korean general, always trying to guess what esteemed leader wants rather than doing what is needed.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:31 AM

you guys don't believe in local elections or local governments...do you?

because what you're crying about is rules made by the local officials.....you elected

Old 07-12-2020, 08:34 AM

417 posts, read 267,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

because what you're crying about is rules made by the local officials.....you elected
They are asking for one centralized form of government which has absolute power over all states and local authorities.
The exact opposite of what this nation is based on, a Republic.

In other words, they want totalitarianism.

Blessed to live in Florida!

Old 07-12-2020, 08:36 AM

...as long as it agrees with them

Old 07-12-2020, 08:45 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
They are asking for one centralized form of government which has absolute power over all states and local authorities.
The exact opposite of what this nation is based on, a Republic.

In other words, they want totalitarianism.
What we want is an appropriate level of response from the appropriate level of government. This isn't like a zoning and planning issue where it is genuinely local. The virus doesn't respect neat municipal boundaries and it would be nice to have an effective comprehensive plan that took into account that, hey, there are people who commute from Alabama every day into work in Florida for lower housing cost reasons and that a virus may now be commuting back and forth with them.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:51 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

It wasn't locals who issued the order for closings and reopening. That was the Governor. He was a little late on the closings but it could have worked out OK except that he wanted to please Trump and rushed the reopening and we are now paying the price. My mayor couldn't override the state order on closings.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:02 AM

horse puck.....DeSantis gave power to the local governments after that

and the counties that are doing the worst are pretty evenly split between democrat and republican governments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida