Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 06:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times

Advertisements

Bravo to the citizens of the State of Florida who turned out to vote!

You have my respect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 06:52 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Bravo to the citizens of the State of Florida who turned out to vote!

You have my respect!

Great! How about you go shake their hand?

Old 03-17-2020, 08:20 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Great! How about you go shake their hand?

lol

I've never understood why people want to force people to vote. If someone is too lazy to research candidates, I'd rather them sit out the election. They just shouldn't complain with whoever wins.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:43 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,830,293 times
I voted today. Some would say that it meant nothing. I disagree.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:28 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Totally agree. However, imho Florida should have postponed this election as Ohio did. Asking people to go in public right now is not good optics for the state. I doubt it would have changed much in terms of the Presidential election (Biden still would have ran away with it barring any catastrophes) but not great timing.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:29 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,020,156 times
Not everyone had the opportunity to vote. There were a few stations that were closed. Two that I drove by yesterday had signs up saying that voting had been postponed.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:14 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Not everyone had the opportunity to vote. There were a few stations that were closed. Two that I drove by yesterday had signs up saying that voting had been postponed.
Yes, because many of the folks who were supposed to work at those precincts opted not to show up. Again, another reason they should have postponed it.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:47 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,453,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Totally agree. However, imho Florida should have postponed this election as Ohio did. Asking people to go in public right now is not good optics for the state. I doubt it would have changed much in terms of the Presidential election (Biden still would have ran away with it barring any catastrophes) but not great timing.

Suspending the election isn't the same thing as canceling it. Ohio still will finish its primary election, but likely with an absentee ballot-only conclusion. How many lives did Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine save, especially if his robust social distancing policies actually succeed in preventing Ohio's hospitals from being overwhelmed in the weeks ahead? Persons still haven't comprehended that the nation has severe shortages of masks, ventilators, hazmat clothing, and reportedly even testing reagents and the cotton swabs needed to test individuals. Limiting community spread not only protects residents, it helps the increasing number of first responders and health personnel who are contracting COVID-19 and being quarantined.

The issue isn't just saving COVID-19 patients, but also pregnant mothers, those having heart attacks, etc., who also may need ICU beds and ventilators in the event of an emergency.

I don't know what was going through the minds of the three governors who allowed physical primaries to proceed yesterday. News reports said that social distancing rules weren't even enforced.

https://nypost.com/video/coronavirus...s-supermarket/

How many elderly persons with vulnerable immune systems voted yesterday out of admirable, but foolish, long-practiced civic duty? Few Ohioans believe the state was wrong to close the polling stations yesterday in order to finish the election with a robust absentee ballot option.

My brother lives in a large senior living facility in Columbus. Visitors have been banned for over a week. The complex has closed their physical restaurants and switched to room delivery in order to limit any potential community spread among residents, obviously many with preexisting health conditions. They've also greatly simplified food service (now delivery) menu options in order to cut back on their service staff in order to further limit the number of "outsiders" (potential COVID-19 asymptomatic carriers) allowed into the complex.

Franklin County (Columbus) still has limited COVID-19 testing capabilty.

How ridiculous would it have been to allow physical voting yesterday in the face of actions such as these, let alone the mandated shutdown of all sit-down restaurant and bar spaces, universities, schools, gyms, YMCAs, etc.

Hopefully the onset of warmer, more humid weather helps spare Florida from a COVID-19 disaster. I wonder how long it will be before the federal government shuts down internal travel from Greater New York, Greater Seattle, Greater San Francisco, and quarantines those areas. Perhaps soon Florida will face the same restrictions and snow birds (including several friends) will be trapped there even as the oppressive heat and humidity that they detest bears down on the state.

I am certain my brother would have voted physically yesterday if Ohio hadn't closed the polling stations.... How much risk would this have brought to his complex, as he said others also intended to vote if allowed to do so?

Old 03-18-2020, 04:20 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,631,156 times
I saw what was going on with the Corona virus weeks ago and decided to Early vote the first day it was available.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:18 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,500,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I voted today. Some would say that it meant nothing. I disagree.
I voted by mail a few weeks ago before my candidate dropped out. My vote meant nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida