Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2020, 06:20 AM
 
5,687 posts, read 7,119,561 times
Reputation: 4326

Advertisements

New Yorkers fleeing to Florida to avoid coronavirus lockdown, DeSantis says

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...ntis-says.html

“If you look at what happened in New York, when they did the stay at home order, what did people do?” DeSantis said. “Well, a lot of people fled the city. ... We’re getting huge amounts of people flying in.”

Cuomo ordered all New York state residents to stay home starting Sunday night, with few exceptions, to slow the spread of coronavirus."

Close the border please, DeSantis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2020, 06:43 AM
 
9,279 posts, read 8,185,589 times
Reputation: 18935
This great for headlines but the reality is people in NY can come here all they want, with or without this "order." Fly to Atlanta, take a rental car into FL, done. I get his reasoning but this is hardly enforceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 06:43 AM
aax
 
710 posts, read 490,639 times
Reputation: 560
Lock it down now. And no one from the islands either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 06:45 AM
aax
 
710 posts, read 490,639 times
Reputation: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
This great for headlines but the reality is people in NY can come here all they want, with or without this "order." Fly to Atlanta, take a rental car into FL, done. I get his reasoning but this is hardly enforceable.
We can put the National Guards on Florida Georgia Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 06:46 AM
 
5,687 posts, read 7,119,561 times
Reputation: 4326
More information:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...ing-lock-down/

"The unprecedented measure is in response to President Donald J. Trump’s refusal to halt domestic travel, DeSantis said. The governor, a close ally of the president, has been asking Trump to limit flights to Florida for more than a week, most recently on Sunday night, DeSantis said.

“That’s the only way we can be sure the virus isn’t going to be reintroduced to the state of Florida,” DeSantis said.

But DeSantis conceded that his order will filter only air travel. Florida isn’t putting any restrictions on people driving into the state with New York license plates. DeSantis said that people in cars aren’t exposing strangers to any kind of contagion the way they might on a plane and there was no obvious way to stopping them. Still, it’s unclear how many New Yorkers would still be allowed to enter Florida under that exception."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 06:53 AM
 
Location: No Man's Land
351 posts, read 317,930 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
More information:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...ing-lock-down/

"The unprecedented measure is in response to President Donald J. Trump’s refusal to halt domestic travel, DeSantis said. The governor, a close ally of the president, has been asking Trump to limit flights to Florida for more than a week, most recently on Sunday night, DeSantis said.

“That’s the only way we can be sure the virus isn’t going to be reintroduced to the state of Florida,” DeSantis said.

But DeSantis conceded that his order will filter only air travel. Florida isn’t putting any restrictions on people driving into the state with New York license plates. DeSantis said that people in cars aren’t exposing strangers to any kind of contagion the way they might on a plane and there was no obvious way to stopping them. Still, it’s unclear how many New Yorkers would still be allowed to enter Florida under that exception."
If these people are contagious themselves, they will infect Floridians. Florida could become the new New York, virus-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
5,663 posts, read 10,675,536 times
Reputation: 6944
I'm no epidemiologist but isn't that akin to closing the barn doors after the horses have run out? It's here and it's everywhere. Closing off one vector without closing all vectors is pretty much a waste of time and resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 07:00 AM
 
5,687 posts, read 7,119,561 times
Reputation: 4326
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
If these people are contagious themselves, they will infect Floridians. Florida could become the new New York, virus-wise.
Non-virus-wise, it already is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 07:08 AM
 
9,279 posts, read 8,185,589 times
Reputation: 18935
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
We can put the National Guards on Florida Georgia Line.
LOL. Good luck with that. Imagine stopping on I-95 to check IDs? Or how about the thousands of other roads that lead into the state. Just not something that can or would be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 07:13 AM
 
5,687 posts, read 7,119,561 times
Reputation: 4326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
LOL. Good luck with that. Imagine stopping on I-95 to check IDs? Or how about the thousands of other roads that lead into the state. Just not something that can or would be done.
Where there's a will, there's a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top