Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 11:55 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Excellent assessment of the situation, IMO. I don't think the stores are planning to check the ages of the people shopping at those designated "senior" times, if for no other reason that the times are also designated for people with disabilities, who could be any age. The stores would be even less inclined to ask customers for proof of their disabilities.

A number of the grocery stores have designated "senior" times, though IMO it's more a "feel good" measure than anything else. We live in an area populated in the majority by seniors, so those hours, I'm told, are crowded with the elderly lining up to shop for what's available at the time. They won't necessarily get the items they need if the shelves will be re-stocked later in the day. I know as a senior myself I'd avoid shopping during those "senior"times, and go later on to combine trips out (doctor appts, pharmacy, grocery store, liquor store if it was open, LOL).
I recall thinking when the "senior" shopping times were first announced, that most seniors, being retired could get to the stores any time they were open since they didn't have to be concerned with trying to work shopping trips around work hours. It seemed to me that those early shopping hours (especially the posted hours of 6-7 AM) might be put to better use for those still in the workforce in essential positions. There are stories out there about first responders meeting completely empty shelves, unable to find anything they needed, at the post-work later hours when they could get there. Of course, they'd still run into the same issues as the seniors during the early hours if the store hasn't been restocked since the last descent of the vultures on the shelves the previous day. Sorry, but watching some of these folks try and grab any available supply of items in short supply despite posted limits, and trying to bully/intimidate the store personnel to let them have the unlimited amounts,
(not everyone, of course), just makes me think of vultures on road kill.

And you're right. I think we need to add the grocery store personnel to our list of unsung heros doing a yeoman's job during this "crisis". I've taken them for granted far too long.
Costco did not today and they even have folks at the door checking that you have your Costco card. We stood and patiently waited until 9am while senior citizens entered/left. Twice we saw people leaving with carts full who were clearly nowhere near 65. I told the person I was with that even if I *could* sneak in, I'd feel like a serious heel walking around with all those senior citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 08:39 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
But companies have to do that every once in a while in the name of "Public Relations."

The latest social media suggestion is to place the homeless in hotels.
Homeless in hotels is an idea for another topic.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:43 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Homeless in hotels is an idea for another topic.
Yes. I was just explaining that the senior shopping hours that a lot of grocers around the country are offering was the result of so many people suggesting it on social media.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:01 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The only thing I had an issue with was eggs. What's up with that? What's everyone doing with all of those eggs?
Apocalypse baking. Flour is also very hard to find at this point. I think a lot of people stuck at home are finding comfort in baking cookies and such.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:10 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Complete opposite experience at my local Publix (Eola in DT Orlando) and they normally SUCK compared to others. I went there Saturday hoping to snag one pack of fresh chicken, and there was plenty. I didn't look for TP or other paper products, as I am always stocked on those, but I had no problem getting my chicken, milk, ice cream, and a few veggies (packs of carrots & celery) among other random things. The only thing I had an issue with was eggs. What's up with that? What's everyone doing with all of those eggs?

Anyway... For anything else, seafood and a wider range of produce, I normally go to Freshfield and Lotte Plaza, both of which were well-stocked in those particular categories.
eggs? Grandkids are down for Spring Break, so grandparents are making eggs for breakfast and using the eggs to bake goodies for the grandkids. People are stuck indoors, so are cookinga lot more and a lot of recipes call for eggs.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:12 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My Publix (Lakeland) stores are mostly stocked. Plenty of fresh meats, chicken, fish, and I even got toilet paper this week! A little low on eggs, butter, certain frozen items but I had no real issues
ahem...Publix's Headquarters is in Lakeland, and also a massive Distribution center. You just happen to live in Publix's wheelhouse.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:29 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
The stores that are operating in the "hometown" of a chain like that typically are under greater pressure than any others to be "perfect," to reflect the image the corporate officers imagine all stores should reflect. Employees in those stores are usually the most frustrated of them all, since corporate types might drop by at any minute to give them a hard time if things aren't absolutely perfect, or if they aren't implementing all the latest boneheaded ideas coming from corporate. A manager of a Lakeland-area Publix must be a nervous wreck pretty much all the time, just like a Bentonville Wal-Mart manager or a Jacksonville Winn-Dixie manager.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:45 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Yes. I was just explaining that the senior shopping hours that a lot of grocers around the country are offering was the result of so many people suggesting it on social media.
If you are going to designate hours for a segregated group, you must do the same for others.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:18 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
I was #7 on line last Tuesday the 24th at the Publix in The Hammocks (SW Miami) at 7AM. (The Seniors Hrs)...No toilet paper...a few bags of their brand napkins, only packages of 5oo of them, the Meat area more than half empty, cleaning supplies for sanitizinn' Missinn' In Action.

In other words I wasted 30 minutes plus for nothinn that morning.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:41 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
I went to Publix this morning about 30 minutes before opening. Everyone was orderly and polite waiting outside, six feet apart: overnight some employees marked out with tape on the floor six-feet distance lines in the cashier line-up area.

People respected it in an orderly fashion. Don't know how long that will last though, we'll see.

I found everything on my list, including toilet paper and paper towels, varieties of pasta and whole grain rice, eggs and fresh produce, except no baby-type wipes and no disinfectant products such as wipes and isopropyl alcohol, though household cleaning liquids are abundant.

Good luck to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida