Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 01:44 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,740 times

Advertisements

If a county is under a stay-at-home order, can you drive through it in order to go from a county that is not locked down on one side to a county that is not locked down on the other? I mean drive through it for a “non-essential” activity on the other side of the county.

The counties I am thinking about are Seminole (not locked down), Orange Co. (locked down), Brevard (not locked down).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 01:59 PM

962 posts, read 612,332 times
We're in a state-wide lockdown where I live, and I drive around just for pleasure every day or two. It's nice to drive around without the usual traffic. Not a problem, for me.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:30 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,740 times
Yes, it makes perfect sense that one can simply drive around. It’s not like you are going to infect anyone else that way. But, I wasn’t sure how sensible people were being about such things.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:19 PM

8,068 posts, read 4,742,664 times
Where I work, we are considered 'essential,' so the company actually printed up a letter for us to carry around to present in the unfortunate instance of being pulled over on our way to and from work. It identifies who I work for and basically vouches for me in the way the teacher would write you a hall pass in elementary school. It's useful if you have to pass through such a situation as you describe on your way to work.

My county isn't in lockdown and I didn't even print the letter out, but I think it's a good idea for the places where you might get the side-eye from the cops if they see you out and about. Perhaps the folks keeping track of such a thing would not give you a second thought if you aren't stopping the car in their county, and the address on your license (and perhaps the county on your car tag) would vouch for the fact that you are not a citizen of their county. But if you stop and mingle with the locals, you're obviously violating their rules in their jurisdiction. So if nothing else, I'd make sure you have enough gas in the car to prevent your having to stop there to buy it.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:30 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,989 times
I guess those specialty plates come in handy now... :-)

I don't think cops will be pulling people over for the sake of it. But if they DO pull you over for a moving violation and it is discovered that you aren't on the road for an essential reason, maybe a cop in a bad mood will write you a ticket and fine you for the COVID violation.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:54 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I guess those specialty plates come in handy now... :-)

I don't think cops will be pulling people over for the sake of it. But if they DO pull you over for a moving violation and it is discovered that you aren't on the road for an essential reason, maybe a cop in a bad mood will write you a ticket and fine you for the COVID violation.
You can always say you are going for food or a DOC.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
There is effectively little policing of the system. It's largely an honor system.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:41 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Where I work, we are considered 'essential,' so the company actually printed up a letter for us to carry around to present in the unfortunate instance of being pulled over on our way to and from work. It identifies who I work for and basically vouches for me in the way the teacher would write you a hall pass in elementary school. It's useful if you have to pass through such a situation as you describe on your way to work.
Amazon is taking that route.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...sential-letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
There is effectively little policing of the system. It's largely an honor system.
It looks like the City of Fort Lauderdale will be giving consequences. https://www.bizjournals.com/southflo...order.amp.html

Orange County said that they aren’t looking to make arrests, as that could expose officers. But they will if they have to do so. I believe Seminole County, who is not participating, said that they’ve seen 911 calls go down. So, that means people are staying home as there is possibly less crime and fewer car accidents to report.

Like I said before, I imagine any consequences outside of the 11:00pm to 5:00am curfew block to be secondary offenses like how the cell phone and driving law was prior to this year.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:38 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,549 times
It's just the government putting something else in to add the less likelihood of people being too close together and for them to say they're putting more restrictions.The same things you could do before you can do after,which is not much,go to a grocery store pick up food from a restaurant,drive around,take a walk,go for a run.I find people are going for walks,running,riding bikes about 10x as much as before,you have to,if you dont you start wiggling out and going nuts.Just yesterday I drove from Orange county to Tampa just to drive around and see what was going on there,drove through Tampa then to St.Pete beach all the way to Clearwater and back,honestly it seemed like there was more traffic in the Tampa area than Orlando,even more people walking and going for runs and at least from what I saw less people wearing masks and gloves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida