Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 06:50 AM

486 posts, read 516,811 times

Advertisements

Yesterday after waiting since 03/15 my wife was deemed ineligible, like a large number of people. No reason was given, no documents in her inbox, the determination section is blank. She knows she earned enough in the wage period to be eligible. She cannot work because she was a substitute teacher and her long term sub job was not deemed essential by the school system and terminated for the rest of the year when the schools closed.

The phone numbers are always busy. Its a full time job just to get someone.. we have had days where she has spent 6+ hours trying to get someone on the phone.

Many, many people are reporting the same thing, ineligible but a W2 worker, no reason given. All of these flipped to ineligible over the weekend. The state released a statement last night that if you are deemed ineligible, you are ineligible.. there is no system glitch(as was reported earlier in the day).

Beyond frustrating. We are pretty furious at the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 09:16 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
Scottamemnon, I understand your frustration. As has been reported, Florida disdains the unemployed, Covid-19 notwithstanding. Not a worker-friendly state, I must say. Here are the pertinent paragraphs:

“Florida’s unemployment system is broken, badly so, and it’s important to understand that it was broken by design,” said Rich Templin, political director for the Florida AFL-CIO.
The unemployment benefits fund went insolvent during the Great Recession, which began in late 2007.
Templin said the only way to replenish it was to raise the premiums that Florida businesses pay into the fund, but that business lobbyists convinced lawmakers not to dramatically increase their premiums.
“So, they had to find another way to replenish it. What they did was they changed the system to make it nearly impossible for workers to access any benefits,” Templin said. “Money was going in at a slow rate from the business community, but no money was going out.”
Those changes came in 2011, when Republican U.S. Sen. Rick Scott was governor. The new law limited benefits to no more than $275 a week, with a cap of 12 weeks. The cap could be changed annually based on a rising unemployment rate.
Other provisions included not paying workers for their first week of unemployment and requiring them to prove they were eligible for the benefits, rather than having the employers prove the workers are not eligible.
“They turned it on its head,” Templin said.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:54 PM

58 posts, read 84,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
Many, many people are reporting the same thing, ineligible but a W2 worker, no reason given. All of these flipped to ineligible over the weekend. The state released a statement last night that if you are deemed ineligible, you are ineligible.. there is no system glitch(as was reported earlier in the day).

I'm one of those signed on yesterday to see "ineligible". Never got email, letter, nothing. Wow wtf!! I was reading yesterday early in the day that it was a "glitch". It's like "yeah right, sure. you guys just don't want pay us".

At this point do you appeal? Waste of time? Can't appeal if you have no idea what you are appealing for.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:22 PM

835 posts, read 476,899 times
Submitted my application today and it’s currently processing. Praying!!!

Old 04-29-2020, 12:44 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
It is not, however we must all understand that the system was never designed to handle a situation as this. I am sure lessons will be learned and the next system will be better, until a new situation pops up that we never thought we would need an even better system for.
It's an utter failure by this and the former administration. Anyone with basic IT skills knows you plan for the worst case scenario when setting up these websites and you have contingency plans in place in the event catastrophes hit. Corporations are expected to have these, why do we give a pass to the government when they fail? Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean you have a built-in excuse for handling it miserably.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Scottamemnon, I understand your frustration. As has been reported, Florida disdains the unemployed, Covid-19 notwithstanding. Not a worker-friendly state, I must say. Here are the pertinent paragraphs:

“Florida’s unemployment system is broken, badly so, and it’s important to understand that it was broken by design,” said Rich Templin, political director for the Florida AFL-CIO.
The unemployment benefits fund went insolvent during the Great Recession, which began in late 2007.
Templin said the only way to replenish it was to raise the premiums that Florida businesses pay into the fund, but that business lobbyists convinced lawmakers not to dramatically increase their premiums.
“So, they had to find another way to replenish it. What they did was they changed the system to make it nearly impossible for workers to access any benefits,” Templin said. “Money was going in at a slow rate from the business community, but no money was going out.”
Those changes came in 2011, when Republican U.S. Sen. Rick Scott was governor. The new law limited benefits to no more than $275 a week, with a cap of 12 weeks. The cap could be changed annually based on a rising unemployment rate.
Other provisions included not paying workers for their first week of unemployment and requiring them to prove they were eligible for the benefits, rather than having the employers prove the workers are not eligible.
“They turned it on its head,” Templin said.
Sadly and unfortunately, this is the case here in Florida. Shameful.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,576 times
Does anyone know what day of the week the direct deposits are made? I received the first check for $275 about 10 days ago. Then I received 2 checks for $600 a couple days later. Probably, I'm luckier than some for at least getting started. Does anyone know if I'll be on a consistent direct deposit schedule, now, and what days it happens? I am dreaming of 600 every week and 550 every 2 weeks. ??
i have called a thousand times and sent many emails. No hope on the phone to get to a human. I got a reply to emails, but as the process continues more questions come up.
On the monetary determination letter (received in the mail) there was a little line that read something like " there is an issue that may potentially affect your receipt of benefits> Go to Connect under INBOX or call", but I can't find anything under notices or inbox or determinations in CONNECT. I click search, then click the date of an issue, then click "view determination" but only basic data comes up...nothing about an issue. Does anyone understand this??
Anyway sorry for the rambling.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:55 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
For those experiencing the **** show that is Florida Unemployment "system" and wanting information check out the Facebook page of Spectrum News 13's Greg Angel. Greg has far and away been the most persistent in getting answers and is a treasure trove of info regarding the topic. The man deserves a Pulitzer for his work and has been tireless in hounding DeSantis/others for answers.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:32 PM

172 posts, read 70,507 times
I have always said this, florida has no sympathy for the unemployed and poor, just look at what there max benefits are, but the thing that KILLS me is, that as much disdain as florida has for the unemployed, you would think that florida is such a great state to work for, the pay here is ****! and on top of that living is not that cheap, i remember when i lived here before when i was 19, i could get a descent 2 bedroom apartment for 700 bucks, now its like 1400, yet the average wage is like $8-$11 an hour. I dont understand.

Back to the subject though, i was one of the ones found ineligible, i was however able to find out that it was due to the base period not being enough, however i stopped getting hours at work due to COVID-19 so that would qualify me for the PUA, so i was told to reapply again to then be found ineligigle AGAIN, and then and ONLY then will the application for PUA show up, anybody else in this same situation?

Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 5,394 times
Hi, I am fortunate that my mom got approved for both the unemployment benefit and the weekly $600. I am wondering if we are supposed to get the $600 for every week we are eligible for florida unemployment benefit? So far it looks like we got 5 weeks of regular unemployment and 4 of the $600 payments.

Also I don't know when this becomes effective but the news says we need to log on to resume claiming our weeks. The last week my mom got unemployment benefit for was 4/26/2020 - 5/2/2020 so are we past the deadline already (to claim from 5/3/2020 to 5/9/2020)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: