Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,661 times

Advertisements

We used to vacation south of 27th street right on the beach for the last 15 years. We mostly hung out on the beach side of the bridge so we don't know much about inland except along the highway where lots of new stuff seems to have popped up!

We've been considering moving to NSB, or possibly Ormond Beach area where an acquaintance lives and loves it (if anyone wants to weigh in on that as well). I'm seeing houses available for sale in NSB that meet our criteria which is encouraging, but we'd want to rent for under 2k first to be sure we wanted to live there. I am just wondering how close we would need to be in order to feel the sea breeze, as we love to take walks outside regularly. We're not against heat and humidity, but having lived in the middle of GA, we want that breeze /air movement.

I'm hoping to get specific recommendations/info on the areas along 44, how it feels when it gets the hottest and how much breeze there is to provide any relief from the heat.

I am also curious about how the air feels around the Sugar Mills neighborhoods, there's a new construction neighborhood there called Coastal Woods which looked really appealing. Any opinions on that specific neighborhood would be welcome as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 08:20 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
That's way too far inland in my opinion for sea breezes. I would say anything within a mile of the coast enjoys sea breezes to some degree, and anything past that might as well be center of the state for all practical purposes otherwise.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:25 PM

205 posts, read 241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would say anything within a mile of the coast enjoys sea breezes to some degree.
Incorrect.

Sea breezes are mostly felt within a 1-3 block radius of the beach-ocean. Anything beyond that is like living in Frostproof of Winter Haven.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:55 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times
I live right on the gulf within 1000 ft and it makes it feel much worse when are in a reverse west windflow in the summer blowing off of 90+ degree water temps. But you do notice it in the winter early spring when water temps are below 62f. East coast is much better vs west coast. It is just hot and nasty all summer no matter what wind ya get. Now it goes into Nov and starts in March it has warmed up so much the last 9 years.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:10 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I live right on the gulf within 1000 ft and it makes it feel much worse when are in a reverse west windflow in the summer blowing off of 90+ degree water temps. But you do notice it in the winter early spring when water temps are below 62f. East coast is much better vs west coast. It is just hot and nasty all summer no matter what wind ya get. Now it goes into Nov and starts in March it has warmed up so much the last 9 years.
I grew up in SE Florida probably 2-3 miles from the beach and recall what felt like more refreshing sea breezes off the Atlantic versus what is felt up around New Smyrna Beach for example. I wonder if the proximity of the Gulfstream plays any part in that given it's a good bit closer to the coast further south?

Old 04-26-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I grew up in SE Florida probably 2-3 miles from the beach and recall what felt like more refreshing sea breezes off the Atlantic versus what is felt up around New Smyrna Beach for example. I wonder if the proximity of the Gulfstream plays any part in that given it's a good bit closer to the coast further south?
I am sure it helps. We did a job around Boca Raton and had a hotel right on the beach back in the 1980's in Aug and noticed it felt much better vs the hot gulf water temps. Gulf can get to 91f.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:54 AM

Inland breezes from the ocean are more noticeable from Jupiter to the Keys. As you move beyond Jupiter and north the breeze is limited to a few blocks from the ocean or beach. I don't know why that is. Probably the jet stream pulls constant wind up from the Caribbean as this is why the wind seems stronger, or constant to inland areas in South Florida.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:24 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,997 times
Don't expect to feel a breeze west of route 1/A1A. You should get a breeze beachside and near Riverside Park. Beachside you could get a breeze from one or both sides and you will feel it. North or Riverside Park unless you can see the water the breeze drops off pretty quick as there are a lot of trees that will erode a street level wind. You won't care about a breeze that more than a few feet above your house.

I live in Ormond-by-the-sea which is on the peninsula north of Ponce Inlet. Being on a peninsula we get a nice breeze.Where we are, the peninsula is about a half mile wide and the Halifax river is probably as wide as the peninsula. Beachside New Smyrna is a bit messier than where we are as the lagoon isn't as open as the Halifax River, but it is much better than inland.

Sea breezes make Florida much more livable. It is a good thing to look for, but you will need to be near the ocean to get one.

We like Ormond-by-the-sea as it is unincorporated. Ormond-by-the-sea is a nice place to live. Pretty quiet and the beach is right there. In some areas, public parking was lost, so beach access ends up being for residents.

Ormond Beach is nice too - except for the blockheads the run the city. They recently spent $100,000 on palms (for a road side planting). Even before they approved the palms, they knew the palms will soon get a disease that will kill them. They also got swindled on letting an area of trees get developed, initially they thought it was for some offices and "desirable mixed use" but after rezoning and approval turned into a Wawa and a car wash. We have to deal with them as they will eventually push sewer farther up Ormond-by-the-Sea. Historically Ormond-by-the-sea has refused annexation.

Conversely, the mayor of New Smyrna seems like a nice guy and is very interested in helping the city have stuff to do and be a better city.Good luck.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:57 PM

Sea breezes give us lift in the summer to make strong T- storms. We have two main summertime patterns. A west flow all day giving the west coast higher dew points and less rain right near the coast while inland and toward the east coast get rain later in the day. Our old normal pattern was a southeast flow with rain building east of the Tampa area later in the day and headed toward the gulf coast. Now with massive weather change we have not seen a southeast flow much since the mid 80's.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
According to this, you are completely wrong. https://www.slideshare.net/JamesBrow...da-fas-version
I don't agree or believe Mr. Brownlee's data. I've resided on the beach and inland in many different areas of Florida so my opinions are from actual experience. I still say if you are not on the beach or a block from the beach the breezes will be cut down significantly. Reading George Hamilton's autobiography, he said the same thing about Florida and ocean breezes. Hamilton was raised in Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida