Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 07:00 PM

5,167 posts, read 4,941,748 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a new (to me) vehicle from a private party and was wondering is it's legal to drive it home with no plate, just the bill of sale. Some states allow XX days to title and register it; I just don't know about Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 07:33 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
Mik, you have 3 days....bill of sale and proof of insurance

best to have the seller meet you at the title/tag office...exchange money there...and do the paperwork and get the tag

Old 04-29-2020, 06:35 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,691,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

best to have the seller meet you at the title/tag office...exchange money there...and do the paperwork and get the tag

Definetely, you want to make sure that the title is Legit and Clear of Lenders, and thats the place than can process your transaction totally with no headaches when you're done.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I'm looking to purchase a new (to me) vehicle from a private party and was wondering is it's legal to drive it home with no plate, just the bill of sale. Some states allow XX days to title and register it; I just don't know about Florida.
Better to have the seller drive it to your house and do the transaction there and go to the DMV and get the plates and registration.

Otherwise you can leave it at the sellers house, take the paperwork to the DMV via Uber and then come back with your plates and registration and take it home.

I think you may be able to drive it home I would take the bill of sale to the rear window. I can't recall ever seeing a car without a plate driving without a temporary plate.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:08 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,354,011 times
I've sold two cars in the last 5 months, both times to private sellers who drove it straight to the DMV. As someone else said, there is a short few days grace period.

One thing not to forget is to call your auto insurer to get it covered before you drive it home, that's more important than the title. Once that bill of sale is signed, the seller no longer is responsible for their coverage. With the GEICO app it takes literally 5 minutes, you can even scan in the VIN and it pre-populates much of it for you.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:57 PM

Thanks, all, for the replies.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
..... As someone else said, there is a short few days grace period.
Ends out that is not correct.

I did buy the vehicle and drove it, tagless, to the local tax collector's office yesterday to title and tag it. Once I got there, there was a "Closed" sign on the door. I called and they said that due to Covid that they are taking appointments, the soonest being next week. When I asked if it would be OK do drive the vehicle there next week, would I get hemmed up for driving without a tag beyond the three-day grace period. The clerk just laughed, stating that there is no "grace period" and it is illegal to drive without a tag regardless of whether you have a bill-of-sale or not.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:45 AM

482 posts, read 419,085 times
ALWAYS conduct private sales at your local tag office. The transaction ends when you get the vehicle title transferred, the car is tagged and payment & bill of sale are in hand. Common Sense.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:40 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,691,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
ALWAYS conduct private sales at your local tag office. The transaction ends when you get the vehicle title transferred, the car is tagged and payment & bill of sale are in hand. Common Sense.
On Post #3, I said basically the same tune !!!

Old 05-07-2020, 12:07 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,354,011 times
My guess is 99.99% of police officers would give you a break if you showed them the paperwork and you were en route to the DMV. This assumes you're not speeding, driving recklessly or generally acting disrespectful if they pulled you over for lack of a tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida