Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 11:07 AM

267 posts, read 262,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Hmm, what about USAA? I have the option to go with them as the surviving spouse of someone in the military.

A friend of mine uses American Strategic Insurance, which he tells me was bought out by Progressive last year.
We have always had USAA since we have been homeowners and we have had a USAA auto insurance for many years also. And we have been doing banking with USAA for about 2 decades now.

I am a fan of USAA! Their customer service is unprecedented!

We had a roof claim after Irma and an auto insurance claim the year before Irma. Both were handled fast and we had no problems whatsoever.

Yes, USAA stopped writing homeowners insurance policies for a couple of years (around 2009?, not sure) but now they are in the FL market again.

I highly recommend USAA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 04:04 PM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
We have always had USAA since we have been homeowners and we have had a USAA auto insurance for many years also. And we have been doing banking with USAA for about 2 decades now.

I am a fan of USAA! Their customer service is unprecedented!

We had a roof claim after Irma and an auto insurance claim the year before Irma. Both were handled fast and we had no problems whatsoever.

Yes, USAA stopped writing homeowners insurance policies for a couple of years (around 2009?, not sure) but now they are in the FL market again.

I highly recommend USAA!
On it. I just got my Dad's VA card. I'm not sure what else I'll need to get the quote. They can call my Dad, but I think his VA card is all he has.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:59 PM

648 posts, read 517,604 times
So I got two quotes from the broker, and I called USAA and got a quote from them. I won’t get into cost, other than to say USAA is the most expensive (I was not surprised by this), but there are some endorsements in theirs that might put them a bit more on a level playing field with the other two if I take them out. USAA does, however, have a lower deductible for All Other Perils.

The other two companies are People’s Trust and Capitol Preferred. Now I am told by this broker that these are the only two companies (out of 40) that are currently offering policies for my area, that have explicit language for wind and wind driven rain damage. I find that hard to believe. The problem is, when I looked up each of them online they have terrible ratings. And People’s Trust apparently won’t let a homeowner use their choice of a licensed contractor for repairs. Repairs under People’s Trust insurance must be done by their one and only recommended company - that the owner of People’s Trust owns!

I’m going to contact my current home insurer tomorrow to see if they offer coverage for this home.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:18 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,692,815 times
I am telling you Folks...If my place was paid for and Insurance was not a MUST.... I would only carry a policy in case a Hurricane blows it to Hell and period,

Florida unfortunately is not a State tailored for DECENT home owners insurance, I guess the ones on Tornado Alley must be in the same boat as Us here.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:36 AM

11 posts, read 16,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
We have Florida Peninsula and can recommend them. They were very easy to work with after hurricane Mathew totaled our roof. It is good to have a company that is fair and pays quickly after a natural disaster. As far as I know you buy flood insurance from the federal government. We don't have flood insurance since we are in zone X, it wasn't required for our mortgage and we have low areas on both sides of us.
I’m currently shopping for home owners insurance and two separate brokers sent me quotes from Florida Peninsula. They have by far the lowest quote and I was worried they were too cheap. Lol

Nice to see your review. If you have any more feedback from then I would like to hear, read it.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:53 AM

786 posts, read 626,452 times
HO Insurance companies are snakes. Have a copy of your 4 Point in front of you, and go through everything with the Policy Associate before you get your quote. Then get at least 5 more quotes from other companies... they love coming back with a "condition" after the fact hoping you will just be done with the process.

Have a 4 point done every year you get a rate increase you are not comfortable with... and it will go up every year.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:19 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBourne View Post
I’m currently shopping for home owners insurance and two separate brokers sent me quotes from Florida Peninsula. They have by far the lowest quote and I was worried they were too cheap. Lol

Nice to see your review. If you have any more feedback from then I would like to hear, read it.
We are happy with Florida Peninsula and continue to have a policy with them. They did a great job when we needed them after hurricane Matthew. They gave us a good settlement quickly. That is what you what you want in an insurance company.

I don't know why their rates are lower than other insurers, perhaps they are more efficient, have lower overhead, pay lower sales commissions or don't buy naming rights to football stadiums. Cost does not equal value. I would take Florida Peninsula and the lower rate.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:22 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I have Nationwide I've only lived in my house a year now. I just renewed with them. My policy only went up $42 from the previous year. When I was looking for insurance here in Ocala, they were the cheapest. I was surprised that was the case. State Farm was outrageous. Im probably in a cheaper area of the state for Insurance, so cost do vary in Fla to say the least. Insurance is very expensive in Florida both for home and auto. Or that seems to be the case for most of us any way. Good Luck.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:23 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Timely thread for me. I just got a letter today saying the company I have used for the past 6 years will no longer write my policy. I'm in a 1100 sq ft 2 bed / 2 bath condo built in 2008 in Dadeland. If anyone has recommendations, please let me know. I do have a insurance agent's name from Tower Hill. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida