Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 07:52 AM

860 posts, read 321,402 times

Advertisements

With many more things opening up Monday and having time on my hands, I think it is time for a Florida road trip. Has anyone done a complete trip all the way around the coast of Florida? What are some great places to stop at to eat? How long did it take you? Any suggestions on places to stay overnight? I am so stoked to get out and enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 09:30 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Uhhh, I would suggest waiting until it's advisable by people who know what's going on (scientists, doctors, medical professionals) versus clowns in elected offices who are doing it out of personal reasons and/or financial gain. Exercise a little self control, it'll still be around in a couple more months.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:45 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
I guess your plans are kind of impossible to help you with since none of us have any clue as to what and won't open or be able to open till they restock and can comply with the 25% capacity. First thing you have to consider 3 big counties on the coast and the Keys are pretty much completely under stay at home so major restaurants are closed or take out. Who knows what restaurants have opened? What counties are allowing short term rentals? None of the bars are allowed to open. Not all beaches will be open next week. Pretty hard to say what there is to do. Golf courses are open in most areas. State parks will be opening.

When you do your trip are you thinking driving the closest road to the ocean? That means you will have to go back to US1 or 95 to get over the inlets and ports) . According to the Florida Department of state there are 663 miles of beach in Florida , but there are 1,350 mi of coastline. It is 447 miles from the Fl. line to Keys.

I would just set out and explore. Stop where things are open. I would seek out the local businesses ad try to avoid the chains. Be sure to have some masks and disinfectant because you may be denied entry to places without a mask.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:02 AM

482 posts, read 418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
With many more things opening up Monday and having time on my hands, I think it is time for a Florida road trip. Has anyone done a complete trip all the way around the coast of Florida? What are some great places to stop at to eat? How long did it take you? Any suggestions on places to stay overnight? I am so stoked to get out and enjoy.
Yes, listen to s̶h̶i̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶g̶e̶n̶d̶a̶, I mean, posters like Kyle19125 here who want you to remain scared and oppressed. Because if you're not afraid, you can't be controlled.

I would wait a little longer though, simply to allow enough businesses to open up.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:26 AM

962 posts, read 612,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Yes, listen to s̶h̶i̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶g̶e̶n̶d̶a̶, I mean, posters like Kyle19125 here who want you to remain scared and oppressed. Because if you're not afraid, you can't be controlled.

I would wait a little longer though, simply to allow enough businesses to open up.
Yes. Well said Jonathan. I was going to post a similar response, but you did it better.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:21 AM

1,131 posts, read 386,717 times
Quote:
There's a quiet little fishing town called Cedar Key near the Big Bend Gulf side that I'd recommend a stop. I spend Thanksgiving there and kind of enjoyed that part of FL ---reminded me of the FL Keys, but not all the tourism. Cedar Key Chamber of Commerce | Welcome to Cedar Key, Florida!

I've never done the entire state in one trip, but have lived in FL for a decade and have hit most of the state except the Panhandle region. Jacksonville has some nice beaches that I enjoyed. Loved the Keys -reminded me of my years in Hawaii a little. St Petersburg (my area) is a decent area to visit.....have a safe trip.

I have a small RV, self=contained, so other than stopping for gas, I could do your trip sans-Corona without any problems.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:40 AM

205 posts, read 241,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would suggest waiting until it's advisable by people who know what's going on (scientists, doctors, medical professionals) versus clowns in elected offices who are doing it out of personal reasons and/or financial gain.
Calling President Trump a clown when you have no clue about how broken our immigration system is.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Uhhh, I would suggest waiting until it's advisable by people who know what's going on (scientists, doctors, medical professionals) versus clowns in elected offices who are doing it out of personal reasons and/or financial gain. Exercise a little self control, it'll still be around in a couple more months.
I'm good. Looking forward to taking advantage of a few more weeks off before I have to go back to work. Might as well tour the state and enjoy. Been cooped up way too long and just want to get put to enjoy now.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I guess your plans are kind of impossible to help you with since none of us have any clue as to what and won't open or be able to open till they restock and can comply with the 25% capacity. First thing you have to consider 3 big counties on the coast and the Keys are pretty much completely under stay at home so major restaurants are closed or take out. Who knows what restaurants have opened? What counties are allowing short term rentals? None of the bars are allowed to open. Not all beaches will be open next week. Pretty hard to say what there is to do. Golf courses are open in most areas. State parks will be opening.

When you do your trip are you thinking driving the closest road to the ocean? That means you will have to go back to US1 or 95 to get over the inlets and ports) . According to the Florida Department of state there are 663 miles of beach in Florida , but there are 1,350 mi of coastline. It is 447 miles from the Fl. line to Keys.

I would just set out and explore. Stop where things are open. I would seek out the local businesses ad try to avoid the chains. Be sure to have some masks and disinfectant because you may be denied entry to places without a mask.
Definitely want to hug the coastline as much as possible. Whatever people can highlight would be great and then I will adjust as I get closer.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:34 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,008,413 times
Quote:
Definitely want to hug the coastline as much as possible. Whatever people can highlight would be great and then I will adjust as I get closer.
If you are planning on going to the Keys I know that some of the area down there has been closed off to visitors by the towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida