Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Ybor City 8 61.54%
Little Havana 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 05:06 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Yboring was always filled with drunks and teens. Never liked the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 05:43 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Yboring was always filled with drunks and teens. Never liked the area.
Many PARTS of Little Havana are exactly the same, just in case.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:37 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
The Tampa Cuban Sandwich with Salami in it is blasphemous.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:17 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...mi-for-the-win

...you mean the original? LOL ; )

Old 05-17-2020, 09:06 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
I've never been to Ybor City so I have to ask if it feels like you are in a ethnic neighborhood or is it more of a tourist spot?
When you are in Little Havana you can feel the Hispanic vibe.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:39 PM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I've never been to Ybor City so I have to ask if it feels like you are in a ethnic neighborhood or is it more of a tourist spot?

It's essentially a Cuban-American (increasingly less Cuban) combination of touristy downtown New Orleans and St. Augustine, but with fewer positives/uniqueness and less activities and locations of interest. That's not to say there is nothing redeemable about it, but it doesn't rise to the level of adding the experience to the 'bucket list' by any means. If you're within reasonable commute distance and want to have some food, visit a couple of shops, bar hop, and/or maybe see a concert at The Ritz, it's reasonably enjoyable for a day or two. I wouldn't recommend driving a nice vehicle or stopping anywhere for gas/groceries/knickknacks in the immediately surrounding residential neighborhoods for safety reasons, however.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:16 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Never forget The Columbia Restaurant...

Navigating their Wine BOOK

Last edited by Huasho; 05-18-2020 at 06:42 AM..

Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 AM

266 posts, read 261,732 times
I have been to Ybor City three times with visitors during the day. Yes, it has a few old buildings from its Cuban heydays but there is no Cuban vibe whatsoever. It looks run down and sleezy. The restaurants and bars all seem to be regular tourist places, mostly Anglo American. I will probably skip it with my next FL visitors.

Little Havana, however, is authentically Cuban. I was at the Calle Ocho Festival twice in the 1990s and a third time in 2007. That has changed a lot. It was great in the 1990s (many stages with world famous Latin artists and groups), but the last time I was there, there was basically only one stage with worthwhile concerts.

Apart from the Calle Ocho Festival, it has not changed much. Everytime we visit Miami, we go there for lunch the day we leave and eat at El Nuevo Siglo. This is a Cuban supermarket that was recommended to us by an old Cuban gentleman years ago when we asked him where one can eat good Cuban food. This supermarket has a lunch counter and 3 tables and the food is great! The atmosphere is very Cuban! We love it! The yuca con mojo is to die for!

Little Havana has many authentic Cuban restaurants and bakeries, Latin music stores, a few bars and clubs, a nice little park where old Cubans sometimes play dominoes, just like in Cuba.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:39 AM

I'd say it's a combination. OpinioninOcala is onto something when comparing it with the French Quarter. I think it feels quite different from St. Augustine though-St. Augustine is much more obviously touristy and small-town oriented in it's built environment/style.

As for whether it's Cuban aesthetic wise, I'd say it's also sort of a combination... in the way that even the French Quarter is not completely French or Creole anymore even compared to some other areas of the city, in that same vein, West Tampa and the neighborhoods south and east of Raymond James, even though they don't look it, FEEL more Cuban and have more like businesses (La Teresita, etc.) than Ybor itself does.

However, I think it's also important to note that Ybor is "Latin" and "Ethnic" without necessarily being "Cuban" primarily, at least (German, Italian, etc. presence which went into the inclusion of salami on the Cuban): La Gaceta Newspaper I think this is interesting. It is the newspaper for the Ybor City community and those stakeholders that visit, etc. surrounding it, and it is the only trilingual newspaper in the US.

This is the Italian Club. I had a chance to go in, sample food, take a tour, and see what they are doing now. It formed as a mutual aid society, as did the Spanish, Cuban, and even German club in this vicinity.
https://italian-club.org/

https://tracesofspainintheus.org/tampa-fla/tampa/
Also to consider even the famed Columbia mentioned above is as Spanish in influence, etc as it is Cuban. They do flamenco shows, a very Spanish tradition. Remember, Cuba didn't fully become independent from Spain until 1902. Ybor had well over 10,000 residents by then, and Cuba's connection to the mother country had been longer and stronger, as well as those who emigrated from Spain itself.

There was even a historically black community immediately to the west of Ybor demolished by the freeways.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/Histor...st-_163741569/
It was considered the Harlem of the South, or one of a few places thought as such.

Tampa was considered unique in the south for how early it became relatively ethnically diverse and integrated. Obviously, things have changed quite a bit with time as other groups, identities, etc. have found there way into the neighborhood (in the same way, I might add, as has happened with the French Quarter and Little Havana). But.. there are definitely still tremendous traces of historical and modern legacy left throughout the neighborhood:

Definitely here: https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9622...7i16384!8i8192

Also here: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...-de-jose-marti

Though now sorta touristy.. certainly here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ta...!1BCgIgARICCAI

And here: https://www.lasegundabakery.com/our-story

All that to say, you'd be more likely on average to hear a foreign tongue in Ybor than you probably would in St. Augustine for sure, and probably also in the French Quarter. You'd be much less likely to than in Little Havana, and that is where these two differ-Ybor has historically been much more diverse than just being Cuban (also Spanish, German, Italian, African American)-and that is still evident in the historical aesthetic, and the business mix present there now.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
I have been to Ybor City three times with visitors during the day. Yes, it has a few old buildings from its Cuban heydays but there is no Cuban vibe whatsoever. It looks run down and sleezy. The restaurants and bars all seem to be regular tourist places, mostly Anglo American. I will probably skip it with my next FL visitors.

Little Havana, however, is authentically Cuban. I was at the Calle Ocho Festival twice in the 1990s and a third time in 2007. That has changed a lot. It was great in the 1990s (many stages with world famous Latin artists and groups), but the last time I was there, there was basically only one stage with worthwhile concerts.

Apart from the Calle Ocho Festival, it has not changed much. Everytime we visit Miami, we go there for lunch the day we leave and eat at El Nuevo Siglo. This is a Cuban supermarket that was recommended to us by an old Cuban gentleman years ago when we asked him where one can eat good Cuban food. This supermarket has a lunch counter and 3 tables and the food is great! The atmosphere is very Cuban! We love it! The yuca con mojo is to die for!

Little Havana has many authentic Cuban restaurants and bakeries, Latin music stores, a few bars and clubs, a nice little park where old Cubans sometimes play dominoes, just like in Cuba.
Don't get me wrong-I see what you mean about a number of places along 7th Avenue. But there are still a fair number of gems in the immediate area, to be sure.

The one place on regular visit basis that Ybor truly has no answer for, I agree with you, is Domino Park... yeah you aren't wrong on that, the ambiance there is absolutely incredible and does feel like a Latin American public space or park in the City of Havana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida