Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Ybor City 8 61.54%
Little Havana 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 10:54 AM

5,029 posts, read 5,699,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
It's essentially a Cuban-American (increasingly less Cuban) combination of touristy downtown New Orleans and St. Augustine, but with fewer positives/uniqueness and less activities and locations of interest. That's not to say there is nothing redeemable about it, but it doesn't rise to the level of adding the experience to the 'bucket list' by any means. If you're within reasonable commute distance and want to have some food, visit a couple of shops, bar hop, and/or maybe see a concert at The Ritz, it's reasonably enjoyable for a day or two. I wouldn't recommend driving a nice vehicle or stopping anywhere for gas/groceries/knickknacks in the immediately surrounding residential neighborhoods for safety reasons, however.
The exact demographics on Ybor are a reasonably diverse mix. 47% Caucasian, 43% African American, with 24% being Hispanic of some kind.

A few additional thoughts for ya.

Agree on not stopping for gas/groceries in neighborhoods to the North and West, with some exceptions though, I see no problem pursuing businesses like IKEA to the immediate south, La Segunda, or Coppertail Brewery to the east. The area immediately west of Ybor will be changing very rapidly and very soon.

I think you give a generally reasonable assessment of it's appeal level. It's a nice place to have to go to around town, and I think it's a nice and surprising in many cases place for visitors to the area to discover, esp. with boutique hotel options and development popping up. I would rate it as a regional attraction, one that if you are in Florida or visiting the city from somewhere in area, it is worth it to be able to go there a few times, or say that you've been. Especially if you at least sort of like cities, history, food, architecture.. you'd probably like aspects of both pretty well.

But I'd agree it's not bucket list, my threshold for places to be included on that wouldn't include Ybor City or Little Havana (no offense). It would be reserved for places like Actual Havana, New Orleans, or attractions like Kennedy Space Center or yes, Disney lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 11:01 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,716,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Don't get me wrong-I see what you mean about a number of places along 7th Avenue. But there are still a fair number of gems in the immediate area, to be sure.

The one place on regular visit basis that Ybor truly has no answer for, I agree with you, is Domino Park... yeah you aren't wrong on that, the ambiance there is absolutely incredible and does feel like a Latin American public space or park in the City of Havana.
If you do not like Cigar Smoke around your nostrils, specially 2nd hand, even in open spaces, do not go there, or at least watch them from the other side of Calle Ocho !! and take photos or videos with your camera zoom.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:37 PM

3,366 posts, read 2,157,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
The exact demographics on Ybor are a reasonably diverse mix. 47% Caucasian, 43% African American, with 24% being Hispanic of some kind.

A few additional thoughts for ya.

Agree on not stopping for gas/groceries in neighborhoods to the North and West, with some exceptions though, I see no problem pursuing businesses like IKEA to the immediate south, La Segunda, or Coppertail Brewery to the east. The area immediately west of Ybor will be changing very rapidly and very soon.

I think you give a generally reasonable assessment of it's appeal level. It's a nice place to have to go to around town, and I think it's a nice and surprising in many cases place for visitors to the area to discover, esp. with boutique hotel options and development popping up. I would rate it as a regional attraction, one that if you are in Florida or visiting the city from somewhere in area, it is worth it to be able to go there a few times, or say that you've been. Especially if you at least sort of like cities, history, food, architecture.. you'd probably like aspects of both pretty well.

But I'd agree it's not bucket list, my threshold for places to be included on that wouldn't include Ybor City or Little Havana (no offense). It would be reserved for places like Actual Havana, New Orleans, or attractions like Kennedy Space Center or yes, Disney lol.

To be clear, it was not my intent to infer anything about the racial/ethnic breakdown in the area. I couldn't care less about such things. It is only worth noting that there is a tremendous amount of poverty and all that comes with it surrounding the incorporated area, and that's really all that I meant. Even that's not a dig so much as it is simply calling attention to the reality of the situation. I won't get into the specifics of the matter since that's not particularly relevant to the topic.

I agree with everything else you've added.

One side note: I agree it's not reminiscent of St. Aug, though for some reason I've heard the comparison enough that I elected to include it in my original post. I'm starting to think the folks who've said this to me over the years either haven't actually been to Ybor or they're under a substantial misapprehension. I do truly find it to be like a small, far less impressive version of the French Quarter in NO -- only without any of the cultural charm. I think some expansion and much more ethnic authenticity would greatly elevate the area in the future. As it currently is, the wife and I will still visit a few times a year (once this pandemic eases), but it's hard not to leave with a 'has-been' impression even if you've had an otherwise delightful time. I guess I'm more disappointed than I may otherwise have been because I think there's actually some unrealized potential for Ybor, which isn't something I can say about a lot of the smaller destinations that simply "are what they are."

Anyways, best wishes.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:28 PM

Huasho: That makes sense-I'm generally not bothered by cigarette smoke, but that is good to keep in mind for those passing through-honestly, I didn't even take pictures when I was there, though maybe I should've because perhaps it won't be that way forever. Just a neat feel around there. And good ice cream next door too.

OpinioninOcala: I didn't figure you were insinuating anything regarding demographics of area, I was actually responding to bobdreamz post about whether it was more of a touristic district or ethnic district. Plus, general curiosity on my part. It does kinda explain the general nature of the neighborhood. I have a few predictions for it. 1) Population in and around will grow, especially if the area immediately to it's west is considered as "part of the neighborhood" 2) I think it may get "less Hispanic" from a demographic standpoint with time, however paradoxically, more attempts will be made to pay attention to the area's Cuban heritage and history (Hotel Haya is a perfect instance of that-it will perhaps draw a different set to the neighborhood than typically has been present).

Oh, there's no doubt about the poverty present and surrounding there, as is now, and I think that's a large part of what has kept the area from having significant additional development, etc.

I can certainly see where you are coming from on that, and I think there are a number of contributing factors too that-hopefully the area will become more dynamic, and not less, with time-I do think Ybor has more room for growth, in that regard, with all the developable land surrounding it... etc.

Likewise.

---

Turning attention to Little Havana/Calle Ocho, what exactly do connections look like pedestrian and public transit wise, between there and downtown? I understand Miami has pretty steady trolley service? Is it easy and user friendly, for locals and/or tourists?

In visiting a number of US cities besides just Tampa with it's Ybor heritage streetcar.. there are very steady, and actually somewhat well-used heritage/etc. streetcar systems meant to connect the downtown core with certain surrounding legacy neighborhoods-Downtown Dallas over to Uptown and Oak Cliff... Downtown Atlanta over to Sweet Auburn.. Downtown Cincinnati to Over-the-Rhine. What is the viability of a similar line running along SW 8th over from Brickell?

Old 05-18-2020, 06:50 PM

Something I'll say (and not meant to take sides) is this: I'm always shocked at how vastly I overestimate distances in Miami. If you were to ask me without me checking: Which is closer to its respective Downtown Core Area, Centro Ybor, or Little Havana? I would almost certainly say Ybor. But, I would be dead wrong.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/25.7...m1!3e2!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/27.9...m1!3e2!5m1!1e2

Now granted, it's not a vast disparity. And in fairness, Brickell was not originally "Downtown" up until recent decades where it literally went Super Saiyan and became the Manhattan of the South. Still though, I wouldn't have even believed these two were particularly close, let alone walking distance apart.

Now what is is that causes that? I think for one thing, in fairness, Water Street/Channelside whatever it could be called, has apartments closer to Ybor than that... less than a mile.. and I'd probably walk through those to downtown, or take the bike trail underneath the Selmon before I'd go over on Nuccio.. but I think that's also my point is that there are those levels of connection. Just as Tampa is very clearly delineated from its eastern suburbs by miles of industry.. Little Havana definitely feels siphoned off from downtown in a similar sense.

By this: https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7661...8i8192!5m1!1e2

And this randomness:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7660...8i8192!5m1!1e2

Miami is one of those places that... for how dense it is, could certainly stand to be more urban and connected. How to make that happen?
---
Or the other question is... is it even ideal for that to happen, esp. in an already ethnically authentic neighborhood like Little Havana, where significant development, as is GOING to happen in Ybor soon, could fundamentally alter the neighborhood and push out families that have lived there for generations? Food for thought...

Here's an instance of some development in Little Havana I stumbled upon by looking a bit
https://www.lifehousehotels.com/hote...t=LittleHavana
This looks... fantastic-though perhaps in an inferior location and surprising one for getting out to do all that much sans car.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Te...094079!5m1!1e2
The views there look AMAZING. At very least, I may definitely try to stop by here at night next time in Miami.

Or... ideally once we are out of quarantine, I will plan a staycation to stay at Hotel Haya in Ybor, and this place in Little Havana, and explore by foot/bus/streetcar, and compare/increase my knowledge base of both (: D)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida