Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 12:44 PM

15 posts, read 18,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
The big bend area of Florida has very low population. Yes, they are talking about a toll road going through but it will take 10+ years and then growth will take decades more. It's not an immediate concern. You can also protect yourself by buying acreage near state parks and conservation land. Just avoid the immediate area near US 19. That is where the toll road is supposed to go through.

If you like rural and wild, Gulf Hammock and the areas around Cedar Key are very beautiful with very low population. You are 30 minutes way from any real shopping in the Chiefland Super Wal Mart.
Thanks for the info. i was in Chiefland about 15 years ago and Old Town, but i am sure it's grown since then. I also know people in Madison and Crawfordville, but never been there. If i found a small town, maybe 5-20 acres, near state preserves, and high and dry, i would be blessed to make that my home. I just read that the state bought thousands of acres for a preserve somewhere in that area. I need to keep researching. Thanks again, peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It's not no growth but the coastal area between Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach has limits on long term growth because the US Department of Defense owns about 95% of the land in between I-10 and the Gulf in that area and they aren't interested in selling save for a few acres of leasehold projects here and there.
Thank you for the info.
I wonder how active the military bases are, Much air traffic for flight training?
I will research that area more.
thank you, peace.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:01 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,380 times
I used to live south of Jacksonville, most of my family still lives there. What used to be cow pastures and small farms has all been developed. In fact, within the next 10 years I doubt that their will be any bulk land left between Jacksonville and St. Augustine. They just put in a toll road a couple of years ago to connect the southern areas of Jacksonville to I-4 and the growth has been non stop. My mother in law is looking to leave because her commute time has tripled in the last 5 years as the rural roads were never designed for this much traffic. Sure the entrances to the toll roads are nice, but all of the connecting country backroads were never upgraded so you have lines of cars backed up on 2 lane county highways.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Pacifist View Post
Thank you for the info.
I wonder how active the military bases are, Much air traffic for flight training?
I will research that area more.
thank you, peace.
Some moderate 'sound of freedom' if you're near an active runway or munitions test site but most of the time it is little to no jet noise snd since the military is mostly interested in the air space instead of land operations, a lot of Eglin Reservation is open to assorted recreational uses most of the time.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I used to live south of Jacksonville, most of my family still lives there. What used to be cow pastures and small farms has all been developed. In fact, within the next 10 years I doubt that their will be any bulk land left between Jacksonville and St. Augustine. They just put in a toll road a couple of years ago to connect the southern areas of Jacksonville to I-4 and the growth has been non stop. My mother in law is looking to leave because her commute time has tripled in the last 5 years as the rural roads were never designed for this much traffic. Sure the entrances to the toll roads are nice, but all of the connecting country backroads were never upgraded so you have lines of cars backed up on 2 lane county highways.
That seems to be the method; put in the toll or interstate roads and development follows. I assume you are talking about near the coastline?
I wonder how far inland, towards the middle of the state i would have to go to find no growth area.
I have no idea if there are rural areas outside of Gainsville , either east or west, but i think the west coast toll roads will open that area up when it get's approved.
Thanks.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:55 PM

482 posts, read 418,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
They just put in a toll road a couple of years ago to connect the southern areas of Jacksonville to I-4 ....
There is no toll road, planned or unplanned, connecting any portion of Duval, Clay or St. Johns Cos. to I-4.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:14 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
I've wondered, where is the Miami metro area going to continue to expand into? It apparently can't expand any further westward, so do they have to just keep building new homes north of Jupiter, wich is nowhere near Miami? Or are they going to buy up and demolish all the low density southwest of the zoo near Homestead? It looks like South Florida is running out of options. It's a very unique situation here.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:56 AM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I've wondered, where is the Miami metro area going to continue to expand into? It apparently can't expand any further westward, so do they have to just keep building new homes north of Jupiter, wich is nowhere near Miami? Or are they going to buy up and demolish all the low density southwest of the zoo near Homestead? It looks like South Florida is running out of options. It's a very unique situation here.
Buy up old lots, build multi-storied units, which is what they have been doing. They need to get rid of all of those neighborhoods with small homes sitting on large lots. And ramp up the infrastructure to make the place more centralized.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:21 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Buy up old lots, build multi-storied units, which is what they have been doing. They need to get rid of all of those neighborhoods with small homes sitting on large lots. And ramp up the infrastructure to make the place more centralized.
I agree. In the future, people who want to live in or near Miami are increasingly going to have to live in highrises.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
There is no toll road, planned or unplanned, connecting any portion of Duval, Clay or St. Johns Cos. to I-4.
is there new development in that area, or heavy traffic? why would they need to build more roads there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida