U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do Northerners move to Florida usually and not vice versa?
The COL/taxes are lower, even after paying for hurricane/sinkhole insurance and high sales taxes. 16 33.33%
Because blizzards and the cold are even worse than hurricanes and humidity. 32 66.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:59 AM

20,332 posts, read 25,427,949 times

Advertisements

Why do people from the North move to Florida?

As people age their tolerance to cold weather diminishes.

Incidentally, Americans are free to move to any state they want. The OP may not like this, but that's tough.

There are many reasons to move north, also. People do it all the time.

Better public schools top the list, so when schools are not a factor.

Florida is probably the most comfortable and welcoming Sunbelt state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 06:34 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,620,196 times
We moved to Florida to get away from winter weather. I have lived in many places. I must have been a bad person in a previous life because I lived in Eastern Washington state, Ohio, Missouri and even some time in Indiana. The only explanation for the weather in the mid-west is God is punishing those folks.

I would have preferred to move to Hawaii because their weather is better than Florida and they have wonderful people. We didn't move there because my wife thinks it is too far for the kids to come visit. Weather not low taxes is why folks move to Florida. Arizona has very different weather, but most the state doesn't have a winter either. Lots of folks move from the mid-west to Arizona.

If you want to move to a place with no state taxes you can always move to Nevada. Folks retire to Nevada too.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:05 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,683,079 times
Your reasons on the poll are too limited.

I moved to Florida about 45 years ago
My reasons......
1. Because I love the beach and surfing scene.
2. Because I love watching rockets fly.
3. Because before the 1990s when Florida population grew so fast, the area was more laid back and friendly with neighborhoods/towns where everyone knew everyone and looked out for their neighbors.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:33 AM

2,735 posts, read 1,184,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Yes, but after you account for the fact you need extra homeowners insurance for hurricanes and sinkholes in Florida that you don't need in NH, then the difference isn't that big.

But then again, NH just has high property taxes. So why, then, don't more retirees move to Phoenix? Low property taxes, and houses are cheap because you don't need hurricane or sinkhole insurance. You can drive two hours and be in the mountains. Can't do that in Florida.

I'm guessing it's because as much as people might not want to admit, even the heat and humidity of Orlando is nice compared to the brutal desert heat of Phoenix. Even without humidity, Phoenix still feels hotter according to the heat index than Florida's heat and humidity.

Am I right? PHX heat feels hotter than Florida?
We are not mountain people, but beach people. Love to say, lets go to the beach, andbe there in 20 minutes. We even like to make dinner, and eat it on the beach.....PHX heat? Don`t know...never been.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:01 AM

131 posts, read 37,411 times
We haven't moved yet, but we are thinking of doing so in the next few years. While I think that there are a variety of reasons, here are mine:

1. Have always been an east coast person, and have visited Florida many times. Used to the heat and humidity where I currently live, but probably not to the extent of Florida's levels. Like everything else, however, you will get used to it in time.

2. Want to get away from northeast winters, shoveling the snow and clearing the ice off of windshields.

3. No state income tax in Florida, so my pension and social security will not be taxed by the state.

4. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but the proximity to Walt Disney World and Universal is important to us. Plus, Florida resident rates at both!

5. I know that real estate in Florida can get pricey in certain areas, but compared to where we live now--Florida looks like an absolute bargain!

6. Proximity to cruise lines.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:26 PM

861 posts, read 184,540 times
Quote:
Why is it usually people from New York and the Upper Midwest who move to Florida and not vice versa?

Real estate may be cheaper in Florida, but not always. Miami is expensive, yet still many snowbirds moving there. Then you need hurricane insurance, which is far more expensive than any insurance you'll need up North for the blizzards. Oh, and sinkholes.

Sales taxes in Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Maine are lower than Florida. New Hampshire has no sales tax. Why don't Northerners retire to a small New Hampshire or Michigan city instead of Florida?

Zero state income taxes, maybe? Retirees still have passive income, so they want to avoid capital gains taxes?

Overall, it doesn't seem like Florida is much cheaper than many Northern states except along the Boston-Washington DC corridor.

So my theory is that, contrary to popular opinion, people aren't moving from the North to Florida for the lower COL. The COL in Florida can be just as high due to hurricane insurance and property damage from hurricanes or sinkholes. They move to Florida for warmer weather. They move to Florida because they hate blizzards more than hurricanes. They move to Florida because Florida actually has awesome weather aside from hurricanes.

The maximum heat index these past 72 hours in Orlando was only 88 degrees. That's quite nice. Phoenix got a max heat index of 103 degrees.
Weather, cost of living and things to do. Need to be able to check all three. People moving back to the snowbelt? Not sure I ever heard of anyone doing that. Maybe halfbackers, but not al the way back unless they are about to die and want to be near family at the end.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:33 PM

861 posts, read 184,540 times
Quote:
Yes, but after you account for the fact you need extra homeowners insurance for hurricanes and sinkholes in Florida that you don't need in NH, then the difference isn't that big.

But then again, NH just has high property taxes. So why, then, don't more retirees move to Phoenix? Low property taxes, and houses are cheap because you don't need hurricane or sinkhole insurance. You can drive two hours and be in the mountains. Can't do that in Florida.

I'm guessing it's because as much as people might not want to admit, even the heat and humidity of Orlando is nice compared to the brutal desert heat of Phoenix. Even without humidity, Phoenix still feels hotter according to the heat index than Florida's heat and humidity.

Am I right? PHX heat feels hotter than Florida?
I pay $3,900 a year in property taxes here instead of $16,568 in New York and $700 for home owners insurance here instead of $1,750 in New York. I do not have to pay $22,050 in state income tax here. Seems like a no brainer to be here in Florida.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:03 PM

1,610 posts, read 484,881 times
Quote:
Read my post. I said 88 degrees was Orlando's max heat index in the last 72 hours, humidity already factored in. The real temperature was lower than 88 degrees. Heat index is temperature plus the humidity factor.

While Phoenix had a max heat index of 103 in the past 72 hours.

Phoenix gets higher heat indexes than Florida, often much higher.
It's also been cloudy and rainy for several straight days. Orlando has already had numerous 90+ degree days in just raw temperature, including 7 in March alone.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:50 PM

203 posts, read 116,355 times
We are moving to Florida for medical reason related to the weather. I have severe eczema and the cold weather in Chicago makes it really bad. Hot and humid clears my skin up in a few days.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:13 PM

20,694 posts, read 20,253,275 times
Why would you want to go from sun and most things looking nice and new to... high taxes, crumbling infrastructure, bad weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or