U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do Northerners move to Florida usually and not vice versa?
The COL/taxes are lower, even after paying for hurricane/sinkhole insurance and high sales taxes. 16 33.33%
Because blizzards and the cold are even worse than hurricanes and humidity. 32 66.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 05:55 PM

11,004 posts, read 9,758,699 times

Advertisements

I love Chicago and Milwaukee but you could not pay me to live there. There isn't enough money.

I flew up to Milwaukee one April 15th and landed in a blizzard.

I'm from South Carolina and could not deal with the winters there let alone somewhere in the tundra.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 08:52 AM

658 posts, read 171,154 times
I think the reasons are more complex.

First off - it's mostly older people with adult kids who move to Florida from the north. Why that demographic? Because New England school systems are MUCH better than Florida school system. You want educated kids, and you're already living in New England? Stay there til you retire or until the kids go to college. You want kids with nice tans? Move to Florida while they're young. Just don't expect them to be especially-well-educated, unless you can shell out the pesos for private schools.

Second - older folks want to do less yardwork. There's no significant autumn in Florida, and since you don't have REAL grass, and instead you have the hideousness that New England calls weeds, you don't really have to do much to the lawn to get it to grow other than keep it watered. Bermuda grass will grow all by itself, whether you do something to nourish it or not. That's why it's such a horrible thing in New England. It kills the grass.

Third - the lower taxes, AND no state income tax. The tradeoff is - fewer services, a minimum wage that even 3 people living in the same household can't afford to live on if they share expenses, fewer employee rights (I still can't get over the fact that employers aren't required to give employees any breaks at all even if they work full time) - it's really a horrible place to live if you till have to work for a living. The ONLY upside is the lower cost of living and lower tax responsibility.

If you're independently wealthy or self-sufficient, can afford to pay someone else to take care of your property for you, or are retired with full benefits and can afford the prescription or medicare part D and long-term care plans, then Florida is a pretty good place to live. If you have kids in public school, can't afford private school, want to give your kids the BEST chance at success when they grow up, stay in the north.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:20 AM

11,004 posts, read 9,758,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

First off - it's mostly older people with adult kids who move to Florida from the north. Why that demographic? Because New England school systems are MUCH better than Florida school system. You want educated kids, and you're already living in New England? Stay there til you retire or until the kids go to college. You want kids with nice tans? Move to Florida while they're young. Just don't expect them to be especially-well-educated, unless you can shell out the pesos for private schools.
This is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read on city data. Just a complete void of understanding.

Plenty of Floridians get into good colleges and have excellent educations. There are great schools in Florida, UF (one of the hardest public universities in the US to get into), FSU, UM to start and it goes from there.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:47 PM

545 posts, read 401,692 times
Quote:

Second - older folks want to do less yardwork. There's no significant autumn in Florida, and since you don't have REAL grass, and instead you have the hideousness that New England calls weeds, you don't really have to do much to the lawn to get it to grow other than keep it watered. Bermuda grass will grow all by itself, whether you do something to nourish it or not. That's why it's such a horrible thing in New England. It kills the grass.

Third - the lower taxes, AND no state income tax. The tradeoff is - fewer services, a minimum wage that even 3 people living in the same household can't afford to live on if they share expenses, fewer employee rights (I still can't get over the fact that employers aren't required to give employees any breaks at all even if they work full time) - it's really a horrible place to live if you till have to work for a living. The ONLY upside is the lower cost of living and lower tax responsibility.

If you're independently wealthy or self-sufficient, can afford to pay someone else to take care of your property for you, or are retired with full benefits and can afford the prescription or medicare part D and long-term care plans, then Florida is a pretty good place to live. If you have kids in public school, can't afford private school, want to give your kids the BEST chance at success when they grow up, stay in the north.

Sounds like you dont like Florida. I hope you arent still here unhappy. I happen to disagree with you completely. But its ok. Im where I want to be and I hope you are as well.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:49 AM

1,873 posts, read 438,681 times
Well - no breaks are required ( by law, anyway) in Ohio (or PA, or IN, or...) either, and our minimum wage is the same as FL (more or less)...and more than New Hampshire's. And we pay plenty of taxes. It may be "more complex" from New England - but it's all about the weather, if you're from the mid-West. The last thing on my mind would be yard care.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:43 PM

1,167 posts, read 412,762 times
To me, this just shows how unlucky the US is when it comes to the presence of mild winter climates.

Lots of other areas in the world, like Australia, Brazil, China, Med Europe, etc have plenty of places in their territories to pick from in terms of reliable escape from cold winters temperatures. Meanwhile, here in the US, there's no options outside of Florida, other than Hawaii, and tiny slivers in Arizona, California, and Texas - every other place in the country sees too many freezes and sustained cold weather to be reliably warm winter destinations of any sort.

The harshness in winter climate certainly explains how concentrated populations have become in Florida. Is it really any wonder how the Floridian coast became so lined with block-by-block condo developments? Imagine how much more even developments would be if places like Louisiana and Mississippi offered winters as mild as Miami's?

Old 06-23-2020, 08:06 PM

6,308 posts, read 2,810,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read on city data. Just a complete void of understanding.

Plenty of Floridians get into good colleges and have excellent educations. There are great schools in Florida, UF (one of the hardest public universities in the US to get into), FSU, UM to start and it goes from there.
The issue is that after school, the salaries are very low and people leave again to earn better salaries. I am in Chicagoland and am originally from Florida. The pay I was making there was awful and the cost of living was not that much different. I think a coworker from my same job left to move to PA for the same reason and when I was in my 20s, I had a lot of friends who moved to NYC.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:01 AM

640 posts, read 250,886 times
Quote:

Plenty of adults with young children move here to. Jacksonville and Tampa have a large boom of young families moving in.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:27 AM

235 posts, read 34,496 times
Its a declining advantage for Snowbirds to move down over the last 10 years, honestly. Property Taxes in NY and NJ are very high, averaging 10k for a home over 200K. Compare that to lets say 3 to 5K in Florida, then the homestead exemption lowers it from there, use to make it a huge advantage. Now its being offset by homeowner's insurance, HOA fees, or Maintenance fees making owning a home down here just as expensive overall. Property prices have skyrocketed over the last 10 years in Florida, you won't get the same deals down here anymore. I've been looking in NJ (where I have family) and I could get a 2 story 4 Bed 3 Bath with a huge backyards for under 200K in South Jersey. This kind of home and condition would run 350K plus down here.

State Income taxes convince many to move down here, some unfortunate souls that live in one state and drive a few miles to another state end up paying taxes twice. Florida has no state tax, but serious flaws in public funding like roads, education, and social services are pretty evident. I'm not sure haw much of that plays into a Snowbird coming down (most are retiring)

Weather is probably the main reason we see them. As sick as we get of the heat July and August in Florida, they endure December through early March which can be brutal. I love the cold, the change in seasons, but my wife is from South America and thought 38 degrees with snow flakes falling (at a microscopic clip) was a threat to our survival. So moving up north is going to be a hard sell for me.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:24 AM

341 posts, read 764,637 times
I'm curious about where you live/have lived, your *unique thing" comment seems off.

I'd also beg to differ about leftists being the problem with the population in Minnesota. A more insulated, indifferent and unwelcoming population would be hard for me to find. Check their forum here for a reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The slogan "Minnesota Nice" is really just a slogan, probably from the tourism department. Although people aren't horrible in Minnesota, except for the extreme leftists, which are a horror show. The unique thing about Florida is that most people are not from Florida. They came to Florida from some other state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or