U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 936 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband has a possible job offer in Okeechobee and I am looking on some more information about the area. I have scanned City Data for previous threads but most are from 5+ years ago. Hoping to get some newer information!

We have 2 kids under 4 and are coming from the Midwest. We've both spent a bunch of time in Florida so I have an idea of what to expect as far as (oppressive!) heat, bugs, gators, etc etc etc.

I'm just wondering what the general feel is like in Okeechobee? Is there much to do for families and kids? How are the resources as far as doctors (medical, dental, therapies etc) in the area? What is the drive like to surrounding areas? Does it feel safe? Will it be hard to make friends (our current area is full of people born and raised and it can be hard for new comers to fit in)? Any other information is very much appreciated!

We currently live in a small town where the nearest mall is 3+ hours away and we drove 1.5 hours to a hospital so I could deliver our babies, so we are used to rural living. I'm mostly concerned with my kids making friends, driving to nearby areas (in my experience Florida highways are kind of a death trap ), and if I'll be miserable and lonely in cow town, ha!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 02:03 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,282,285 times
Okeechobee is less than 45 minutes to the western parts of Ft. Pierce or Port St. Lucie. It's a reasonable commute and I think your kids would certainly appreciate the more activities, better schools, and closer proximity to the beaches in St. Lucie County. There's very little to do in Okeechobee.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:32 AM

22,444 posts, read 33,238,492 times
Okeechobee is very rural for Florida and fairly diverse. Schools are surprisingly decent given the student mix and it's a safe place generally for families. There won't be a lot to do for kids outside of school activities and resources in general are pretty thin. It's a low density area so getting to know people could be hard if you wind up in the typical home on a larger lot with just a few nearby neighbors. If your husband is accustomed to driving to/from work 45 minutes I would urge you to go that route which will provide much more to do, better schools and all the resources you need nearby. Check out Palm City-Stuart which is an easy uncongested trip via FL Highway 710/714. Martin County Schools are among the best in the state and the Palm City-Stuart community overall is very desirable for families with plenty to do including an easy 15 minute drive to the beach.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:02 AM

1,642 posts, read 412,360 times
It's got a SuperWalmart, A Winn Dixie and a Publix. There is a Hospital in Town. I travel a lot from SW MIami to Winter Springs and I NEVER use the Expensive Turnpike, I used to cut S to N on Parrot Ave, 5-6 mls of heavy traffic until you get past the High School.

About 7 yrs ago I found a variance on the route and now I miss the entire Town by a few mls N and South.

The tought of buying land there has crossed our minds, but never really gone any further.

Greetings and Good Luck

Old 06-05-2020, 06:34 AM

2 posts, read 936 times
Thank you all for the fast replies! Especially about roads and neighboring communities.

I believe due to the nature of the job we would have to live in or very near to Okeechobee, but I do appreciate hearing the neighboring towns offer a lot for kids.

I have a little one in speech therapy right now (for a very common issue which should hopefully easily resolve) so the thinner resources do worry me a bit. So much to consider! It does look like a beautiful area though.

I will post an update after we visit later this month for future googlers

Old 06-06-2020, 07:46 AM

1,642 posts, read 412,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1601 View Post
Thank you all for the fast replies! Especially about roads and neighboring communities.

I believe due to the nature of the job we would have to live in or very near to Okeechobee, but I do appreciate hearing the neighboring towns offer a lot for kids.

I have a little one in speech therapy right now (for a very common issue which should hopefully easily resolve) so the thinner resources do worry me a bit. So much to consider! It does look like a beautiful area though.

Again Good Luck !!

Old 06-09-2020, 07:07 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,814,274 times
Okeechobee is a small cracker town. In Florida, "cracker" is a term of endearment that refers to the original ranchers who settled southern Florida (it references the cracking sound of their bullwhips).

Fishing and boating are the top recreation activities for the locals.

It's not a big city, so there are no big city amenities, but it has enough that you would never really need to leave town.

It's old school Florida - impacted very little by tourism and migration from the North as most of the rest of the state has been.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1601 View Post

Any update on your move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida