Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:00 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,294,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
guys, how do the stickers work?

Do they send you a bill every month?...or pay online? something like that

That's how it should work, but they got greedy and make you pre-pay. They collect interest on the balance and more importantly they keep the balance when you forget about it, move out of state, lose it, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 10:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,663,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

One of the main downsides to choosing a transponder is the transponder does not work nationwide. The SunPass works in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and supposedly more states coming in the future. There should be a national standard, so that you don't need multiple toll transponders in your car, and multiple toll accounts to maintain.
There was actually a federal law that said toll road transponder interoperability was supposed to happen by 2016, but technical issues and an impasse on who was responsible for paying the very high cost of implementing the new standard-possibly hundreds of millions of dollars- among dozens of different toll bridge and turnpike authorities keeps pushing that standard further and further back.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:22 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,621,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
guys, how do the stickers work?

Do they send you a bill every month?...or pay online? something like that
I have been using the sticker (placed on the windshield, right by the rear view mirror, you the driver don't even see it once in there) since they were available. We are a one family car and paying for the sticker $5.00 is nothing compared to the bother of buying and replacing batteries or cells 2wice a year.

When the sticker 1st arrived you paid the $5.00 but on the first toll you went by, your account was credited the amount.

So all together there was a time when we had 2 cars...and we had 2 of the battery powered ones, that COST much more than $5.00 and you don't ever get that money back, you can sell it a your garage sale and all you'll get is a couple of bucs.

Yes, and all transponders we have had are all tied up to a single checking account that gets replenished at a designed level by the user, we have it at $10.00 with a replenishemnt of $20.00 when the balance drops below $10.00.

We have NEVER had a single problem with our account, and we have been using them since 1999, the debut year of the Program, that's 21 yrs of great service. And IF we were to find out of many people got hit with a Computer glitch a few yrs back, I am positive all those accounts got all resolved in favor of the users.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:28 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,621,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
That's how it should work, but they got greedy and make you pre-pay. They collect interest on the balance and more importantly they keep the balance when you forget about it, move out of state, lose it, etc.
Billing ? ? ? Heck who sends bills in this time and age....They can play with my miserable Low Balance all they want for their advantage, I just need simplicity in my Bills, and Sunpass fits the Mold.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:56 AM

3,972 posts, read 8,106,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The 'toll by plate' option is a monthly bill with a 'convenience charge' tacked on. The transponders offer multiple ways to top off an account. We just have it set up to charge our credit card $50 when our Sunpass balance falls below $10.

Whatever you do, don't link a Sunpass account directly to your bank account or debit card. The system had a catastrophic failure in 2018 and when it came back online, a lot of the accounts got transposed. There'd be stories of a guy getting billed hundreds of dollars in tolls when he could prove that the car the sticked was attached to had sat in long term parking at the Miami airport for most of the month while he was our of the country.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/in...s/67-569843541
Ours has been linked to our credit card for over 20 years and never had a problem.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:21 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,745,953 times
So this billing is confusing.
Which one allows me to not have to manually check bill amounts and top up? I don't want to keep watching whether the account went down to $0. I want them to charge my credit card either monthly or when certain amount is reached or every time I use toll roads. I dont care which one, but what I care about is not having to waste my time managing epass or sunpass accounts.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Which one allows me to not have to manually check bill amounts and top up?
Sunpass does that just fine for me, 2018 glitch notwithstanding. (I was not charged for about a month and a half and then was assessed a catch-up charge that seemed more or less accurate given use practices) Because I've got it set up to send push notifications of credit charges to my smartphone, I get an additional alert automatically when the Sunpass account balance is replenished.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:30 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,256,709 times
Quote:
Which one allows me to not have to manually check bill amounts and top up? I don't want to keep watching whether the account went down to $0. I want them to charge my credit card either monthly or when certain amount is reached or every time I use toll roads. I dont care which one, but what I care about is not having to waste my time managing epass or sunpass accounts.
Why don't you setup your SunPass account to automatically notify you when your balance drops below a threshold of $10, $20, or some other amount? When you receive the low balance notification, all you have to do is to add a chunk of money into your SunPass account with your credit card. There's no need to keep manually checking your SunPass balance. You don't need to have the SunPass attached to a credit card or bank account to automatically refill the SunPass account. If you have to refill the SunPass account too often, just put more money into the the SunPass account.

It's just like when you are running low on gasoline in your gas tank. I've seen people in my life who often had a nearly empty gas tank, and only put in a few gallons, instead of filling up the tank. They were always driving around with a nearly empty gas tank. They were constantly complaining that they were low on gasoline. However, I always filled up my gas tank when it got down to half a tank, and never complained about having a nearly empty gas tank. I only ran out of gas one time in my life. It was with the $500 beater car, which was my first car. It had nearly an empty tank when I test drove it. It ran out of gas right next door to the used car dealer, right in front of a gas station!

Old 06-06-2020, 10:51 AM

3,183 posts, read 2,376,198 times
Quote:
How many toll road transponders do I have to sign up for?

I recently moved to Florida, Brevard county.

But I would be going to Orlando, StPete, Sarasota, Miami and other places frequently.
Is Sunpass or E-pass going to cover my trips, do I need to have both, or even a few more local authority related ones?
How does this Florida Toll Road system work anyways?
Epass works on all toll roads in Florida, sunpass does not. Epass also will work in most of the Eastern seaboard states that use ezpass if you get the epass Xtra vs. the regular epass. If you get the removable transponder you can move it from car to car.

If you put a credit card on it they will refresh it below a limit of say $10 automatically.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Epass doesn’t work on some of the panhandle toll bridges so not universal in the state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida