Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 11:09 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times

Advertisements

! “Political heroes?” Is that all that you can come up with? Who are these heroes of mine, exactly?

Edit: you deleted that idiotic remark, I see. Good job. LOL.

We know how dust storms work. I know how red tides are formed. We get them every freaking year — some years worse than others.

My goodness, how the hell are you even allowed to post this kind of crap here? And then attack posters who call you out on your nonsense on top of it?

Last edited by Arcenal813; 06-23-2020 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 11:25 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,287,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
! “Political heroes?” Is that all that you can come up with? Who are these heroes of mine, exactly?

Edit: you deleted that idiotic remark, I see. Good job. LOL.

We know how dust storms work. I know how red tides are formed. We get them every freaking year — some years worse than others.

My goodness, how the hell are you even allowed to post this kind of crap here? And then attack posters who call you out on your nonsense on top of it?
You post little but personal attacks, constantly belittling substantive posts. Crap is in the eye of the beholder.

Do you deny that many persons reading this forum may know little if anything about the Red Tide and its causative factors?

You're essentially arguing that no one should post articles discussing the Saharan Air Layer and its impact on Florida's environment, including Red Tide formation. Why?

Again, why are you and your cadre seeking to deny the existence of a mammoth, extreme Saharan dust cloud and its potential to impact Florida?

Old 06-24-2020, 06:48 AM

18,208 posts, read 8,027,666 times
Quote:
Also, as Corrie pointed out, “one of the most extreme” isn’t saying much, now, is it?
"one of the most".....is a sliding scale...when you don't define "most"

...is it 1 out of 10?.......or 1 out of 10,000?

this is what they do when the generate click bait....it sounds scary....until you think about it

Old 06-24-2020, 09:55 AM

417 posts, read 263,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Scientists who specialize in Saharan dust storms are quoted in the articles that I linked. If you believe they are wrong, prove it.
Do you believe accuweather.com and weather.com got their facts wrong??? Why?
I didn't rationalize anything, but just quoted articles, which you repeatedly seek to discredit while offering NO factual basis for your concern. Do the research if you think that the articles are wrong. I would enjoy seeing what you come up with as I'm more interested in facts than obfuscations
So you post a topic to discuss but when asked questions for clarification you become dismissive?

Again, I simply asked the following questions: "how long have Saharan dust clouds over Florida been recorded and by what means were used in these calculations?" and "Could you give us a scientific measurement with all of the years recorded?"

If you prefer not to answer or discuss this topic, just say so.

Life is Good in the Sunshine State!

Old 06-24-2020, 10:07 AM

<<However, the 2020 dust cloud has caught the attention of meteorologists and is being described as the “Godzilla dust cloud,” according to The Associated Press....

“The SAL will be spreading over Florida through Wednesday into the south Gulf and to east Texas,” said FOX 35 meteorologist Jayme King. After, it’s expected to curl back east toward Florida’s Gulf Coast.>>

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/weat...emm-story.html

It's still unclear if the impact of this massive Saharan dust cloud on the Gulf breeding area of the Karenia brevis microorganism that causes Red Tide in Florida will be sufficient to trigger a significant 2020 Red Tide event in Florida. See post 6 and the discussion in this article.

<<The dust is expected to reach the Texas coast on Thursday and curl around to encompass the entire Gulf Coast next weekend, Kottlowski estimated. >>

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...tlantic/761708

A NASA model in this article projects the path of the dust cloud over the next 10 days. It appears that Florida will be spared a direct hit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...-southeast-us/

Last edited by WRnative; 06-24-2020 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-24-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
So you post a topic to discuss but when asked questions for clarification you become dismissive?

Again, I simply asked the following questions: "how long have Saharan dust clouds over Florida been recorded and by what means were used in these calculations?" and "Could you give us a scientific measurement with all of the years recorded?"

If you prefer not to answer or discuss this topic, just say so.

Life is Good in the Sunshine State!
I'm not going to do your research for you. I'm merely quoting articles that quote experts on the Saharan dust layer. If you think these experts might be wrong or are exaggerating current conditions, prove it on your own time.

The Saharan dust cloud can be viewed in real time at the following web page. It apparently currently is engulfing Cuba but has not reached Florida.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-tim...es16split.html

Experts discuss this Saharan dust cloud event near the end of this article. As the dust cloud apparently won't directly hit Florida, its impact on Florida may not be as great as its impact on Cuba and the western Gulf.

<<According to Zuidema, “An optical depth of 1.5 reduces the direct sunlight reaching the surface to almost 20 percent of what it would be without the dust.” She said scientists will be ready for the dust when it makes it to Miami, with a lidar unit ready to take detailed measurements that could help them rank this event against others....

Thomas Gill, a professor of geological sciences at the University of Texas at El Paso specializing in wind interactions with the landscape, says this is among the most impressive such events observed and is especially noteworthy for its likely impacts on North America.

“This one is, by all of the data and reports I’m seeing, one of the biggest and possibly the biggest and most expansive ever,” Gill said in a phone interview on Monday. “It’s not unusual that the Saharan dust cloud is coming, but this one is a whopper.” >>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...-southeast-us/

Last edited by WRnative; 06-24-2020 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-24-2020, 11:03 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times
Quote:
I'm not going to do your research for you. I'm merely quoting articles that quote experts on the Saharan dust layer. If you think these experts might be wrong or are exaggerating current conditions, prove it on your own time.
So what is the point of posting these copy/paste walls if all you're going to do is post half-assed articles, with no desire to participate in intelligent discussion when questions arise? Oh, wait, I think I know the answer to that, but that might reveal the nature of your obsession with the FL forums.

This just in: Saharan Dust Clouds occur, and they do things. They have been doing things for quite a while now. We, experts, will monitor these things. It's doing more now than it has in some previous years.

God forbid someone have questions about articles YOU decided to share on a public forum, where discussion is encouraged. But again, this is mainly why most are annoyed with your posts -- not because of the nature of them, but because of your dismissive responses when questioned about omitted information in your articles.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:25 AM

4,521 posts, read 3,710,783 times
Quote:
...Experts discuss this Saharan dust cloud event near the end of this article. As the dust cloud apparently won't directly hit Florida, its impact on Florida may not be as great as its impact on Cuba and the western Gulf.
Weather events change, we get it because we live here and deal with them daily.

To other members of the forum, I’m reporting this poster to a mod and request he/she be banned. The non-stop torrential flood of information with virtual walls of text, hyperlinks, videos and quotes from experts has become a malignant form of harassment.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-24-2020 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-24-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
So what is the point of posting these copy/paste walls if all you're going to do is post half-assed articles, with no desire to participate in intelligent discussion when questions arise? Oh, wait, I think I know the answer to that, but that might reveal the nature of your obsession with the FL forums.
You've contributed NO factual information to this thread. As is typical, articles quoting experts and discussing an important topic are loathed by posters who don't want to see any negative discussions about Florida. I get it. Red Tide is a verboten topic, along with the destruction of the Great Florida Reef, ongoing inundation of beaches and coastal areas, rapid hurricane intensification, etc. Disgusting.

Let's pretend that a mammoth Saharan dust cloud actually is imaginary.

Quote:
This just in: Saharan Dust Clouds occur, and they do things. They have been doing things for quite a while now. We, experts, will monitor these things.
So now you are an EXPERT? What research have you conducted? What are your degrees? Why haven't you posted any empirical evidence supporting your opinions?

Quote:
God forbid someone have questions about articles YOU decided to share on a public forum, where discussion is encouraged. But again, this is mainly why most are annoyed with your posts -- not because of the nature of them, but because of your dismissive responses when questioned about omitted information in your articles.
You aren't engaging in public discussion. You are asking ridiculous questions attempting to discredit quoted, expert opinions. I'm not an expert, and certainly neither are you. Unlike you, however, I do respect the experts who possess knowledge of the empirical evidence.

Why do you and others want expert knowledge purged from this forum???

Last edited by WRnative; 06-24-2020 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-24-2020, 12:30 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,352,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Weather events change, we get it because we live here and deal with them daily.

To other members of the forum, I’m reporting this poster to a mod and request he/she be banned. The non-stop torrential flood of information with virtual walls of text, hyperlinks, videos and quotes from experts has become a malignant form of harassment.
The poster in question I suspect is best friends with a certain mod here, and that mod usually will toss out ten day bans under the guise of "personal attacks" to anyone who dares criticizes that certain poster.

So, be careful!

(I will be surprised if I do not get a ban for this post, and/or this post deleted, but oh well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida