Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 05:10 PM

40 posts, read 86,366 times

Advertisements

This is a perfect example of someone who moves from a fiscally failing state to a fiscally sound state, then wants to recreate the same failed policy’s that caused the original state to fail in the first place. Please learn from this post. It’s educational. Your money is most beneficial to you, others are not entitled to the majority of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 10:42 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Ummm no thanks. That is the #1 reason we moved here from a tax and spend state. People are fleeing the northern states in record #s because of the income tax.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:14 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petede View Post
This is a perfect example of someone who moves from a fiscally failing state to a fiscally sound state, then wants to recreate the same failed policy’s that caused the original state to fail in the first place. Please learn from this post. It’s educational. Your money is most beneficial to you, others are not entitled to the majority of it.
Exactly... Do as I say not as I do. Liberals are like a virus. Leave failing declining blue states only to move to a red state and then vote for the same garbage policies and same garbage politicians who support said policies.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:36 PM

172 posts, read 362,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So you're all about punishing people who allegedly "refuse to work." Sales tax is the most regressive tax out there and unfairly disadvantages the poor. I am a working person and have NO problem with my hard earned income going to taxes. Anyone who has a problem with that is an absolute miser and unpatriotic about funding for the public good and only cares about themselves.

The best jobs market in the country is in California. The #1 economy in the country and they have high state income taxes. Florida is poorer than the average state and the general population is less educated for American standards.
I live in CA, specifically LA. #1 economy? No it is not and no rankings list it as such. You are making up nonsense and using stereotypes to prove a point.

CA has the highest childhood poverty rate, highest household debt, highest homeless, highest taxes, highest Hispanic poverty, and CA education is ranked at the bottom. They do have the lowest homeownership, so there is that. Another fun fact, LA and CA schools are some of the most segregated in the States. Have you been to CA? LA and Bay Area's homeless, trash and poverty makes third world nations blush.

You know, if one was educated enough living in a progressive Utopia, they wouldn't have to go to another state to find work leaving behind utopian ideals. Explains why jobs and the middle class are fleeing my state, your ideals have a large hand in it.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:15 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
I think Florida should have a state income tax on all income earned by individuals. Sales tax can be reduced or eliminated in exchange for the income tax. Property taxes can be abolished, too. I would say a 5% income tax is reasonable, on all income over $30K, graduating up to 10% on all income over $1 million. The money would go to fund infrastructure projects and public schools. Taxing income just makes a lot more sense than taxing sales and wealth IMO. The more you make ,the more you pay.

I think having a state income tax would also be a great way to slow down the insane amount of people from moving here and destroying the land and building tons of new houses and apartments. It would help stabilize the population growth and strengthen schools. I would love to see FL public schools overall be at the same prestige and quality as the northeastern states, which trounce FL public schools.

I moved down to Florida from Connecticut three years ago and think Florida can learn a thing or two from northeastern state policies and taxation. Florida can get away with having an income tax because so many people don't care and just want to move here for the beaches and climate.

Thoughts?
We need to have an application system for people who want to move to FL from New England.

"Do you think it is a good idea to have state income tax?" -> Stay where you are.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:10 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Exactly... Do as I say not as I do. Liberals are like a virus. Leave failing declining blue states only to move to a red state and then vote for the same garbage policies and same garbage politicians who support said policies.
It happens on both sides.

-Conservatives who thought COVID was a hoax all of a sudden started caring when they or a family member caught it or had to wait a week for test results.

-They support charter schools until one opens next to their posh suburban public school (i.e. former FL Senator John Thrasher and St. John’s County).

-Bashing unions, especially public employee unions, except police unions. They got a nice exemption from Scott Plakon in a certification bill last year.

-Scream “local control†until a locality puts in a law they don’t like (i.e. Publix and styrofoam bans).

Etcetera...

Old 07-15-2020, 07:06 PM

163 posts, read 86,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
It's ok everyone. My vote cancels out his vote.
LMFAO. Thank you!

Old 07-17-2020, 12:45 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Our property taxes in FL was $4,500 on an assessed 287k home. In Boston we paid $3,300 on an assessee 405k home.

I think property taxes are a bit high in FL, MA is not taxed nearly as high as CT NY NJ CA .. but still it was quite a noticeable increase
$11k on a $400k house (LINY)

I win

Old 07-17-2020, 12:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
I didn't leave CT because of high taxes. I left for a job opportunity. However, now that I'm in FL, I will be voting for liberal Democratic candidates 100% of the time. I would like to see Florida become more similar to the northeast and California, with excellent public schools, a more talented workforce and environmental regulations. Fortunately, I believe it is on track for that. Same with Texas and Arizona.
CA does not have excellent public schools. In fact my in-laws in SoCal say the schools are horrible. I suppose it varies on district but schools arent something CA shines at

Old 07-17-2020, 12:49 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
I live in CA, specifically LA. #1 economy? No it is not and no rankings list it as such. You are making up nonsense and using stereotypes to prove a point.

CA has the highest childhood poverty rate, highest household debt, highest homeless, highest taxes, highest Hispanic poverty, and CA education is ranked at the bottom. They do have the lowest homeownership, so there is that. Another fun fact, LA and CA schools are some of the most segregated in the States. Have you been to CA? LA and Bay Area's homeless, trash and poverty makes third world nations blush.

You know, if one was educated enough living in a progressive Utopia, they wouldn't have to go to another state to find work leaving behind utopian ideals. Explains why jobs and the middle class are fleeing my state, your ideals have a large hand in it.
Just let those who want a State Income Tax, sign up to pay one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida