U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 07:56 PM

11,279 posts, read 15,108,935 times

Advertisements

I think Florida should have a state income tax on all income earned by individuals. Sales tax can be reduced or eliminated in exchange for the income tax. Property taxes can be abolished, too. I would say a 5% income tax is reasonable, on all income over $30K, graduating up to 10% on all income over $1 million. The money would go to fund infrastructure projects and public schools. Taxing income just makes a lot more sense than taxing sales and wealth IMO. The more you make ,the more you pay.

I think having a state income tax would also be a great way to slow down the insane amount of people from moving here and destroying the land and building tons of new houses and apartments. It would help stabilize the population growth and strengthen schools. I would love to see FL public schools overall be at the same prestige and quality as the northeastern states, which trounce FL public schools.

I moved down to Florida from Connecticut three years ago and think Florida can learn a thing or two from northeastern state policies and taxation. Florida can get away with having an income tax because so many people don't care and just want to move here for the beaches and climate.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 08:47 PM

11,592 posts, read 8,347,092 times
No.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No.
Why not? It only makes perfect sense.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:00 PM

3,262 posts, read 1,080,791 times
Tax the rich, sure. Dont tax the Middle Class anymore.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Tax the rich, sure. Dont tax the Middle Class anymore.
That's why I said abolish the sales and property taxes and only have income tax on income over $30K!

Old 07-06-2020, 09:28 PM

1,587 posts, read 481,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Why not? It only makes perfect sense.
How does it make "perfect" sense? Why tax yourself, when you can get the tax revenue you need by taxing all the visitors in a tourism-heavy state?

Old 07-06-2020, 09:30 PM

3,569 posts, read 5,136,288 times
Property taxes are for local taxing districts, you really believe that by taxing incomes at the state level those local property taxes will go away? Seriously?

Old 07-06-2020, 09:36 PM

7,425 posts, read 13,300,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think Florida should have a state income tax on all income earned by individuals. Sales tax can be reduced or eliminated in exchange for the income tax. Property taxes can be abolished, too. I would say a 5% income tax is reasonable, on all income over $30K, graduating up to 10% on all income over $1 million. The money would go to fund infrastructure projects and public schools. Taxing income just makes a lot more sense than taxing sales and wealth IMO. The more you make ,the more you pay.

I think having a state income tax would also be a great way to slow down the insane amount of people from moving here and destroying the land and building tons of new houses and apartments. It would help stabilize the population growth and strengthen schools. I would love to see FL public schools overall be at the same prestige and quality as the northeastern states, which trounce FL public schools.

I moved down to Florida from Connecticut three years ago and think Florida can learn a thing or two from northeastern state policies and taxation. Florida can get away with having an income tax because so many people don't care and just want to move here for the beaches and climate.

Thoughts?
I agree. However Florida doesn't seem to evolve with the times. You can't depend on sales tax and toll roads, to keep a state this populated funded properly. Until if ever it's Politics change it will never happen.

You did hit the nail on the head. People don't seem to care. In fact I can't quite figure out , exactly what do people in Florida care about A more complacent place I have yet to see.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Property taxes are for local taxing districts, you really believe that by taxing incomes at the state level those local property taxes will go away? Seriously?
Property tax is a wealth tax. For the vast majority of homeowners, their home is the majority of their wealth. So the majority of their wealth is taxed. However, a billionaire gets away without paying a wealth tax on their assets other than real property. Totally not fair.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree. However Florida doesn't seem to evolve with the times. You can't depend on sales tax and toll roads, to keep a state this populated funded properly. Until if ever it's Politics change it will never happen.

You did hit the nail on the head. People don't seem to care. In fact I can't quite figure out , exactly what do people in Florida care about A more complacent place I have yet to see.
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it this way. Everyone is so hung up on not having an income tax, but they don't think through everything. It's all about me me me and avoiding taxes. Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or