Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 09:46 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,718,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Parsing out what I said in the original post to suit your witty response...why bother?

I never stated I feel superior or I'm smarter or more compassionate than floridians. All I'm saying is there are huge differences in how people are responding to covid around me in south florida vs. Friends in boston and ny/nj.

Several people I know here are posting crazy conspiracy on facrbook and shaming people for wearing masks and just generally believing every hairbrained conspiracy theory out there.

I have not seen a single person who does not live in Florida do this.
I feel like that attitude is a case of "I'm not sick nor do I know anyone who is sick, so I can't relate." I heard someone on a talk show who lives in the California say she was shocked to go to the grocery store only to find several aisles empty. She had never witnessed that before. People in some part of Florida or the South deal with that every...single...year during a hurricane threat. I'm sure we Floridians had more assurance in March than people in the rest of the country that the grocery stores would be able to meet our needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 09:49 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,090,579 times
Quote:
Parsing out what I said in the original post to suit your witty response...why bother?

I never stated I feel superior or I'm smarter or more compassionate than floridians. All I'm saying is there are huge differences in how people are responding to covid around me in south florida vs. Friends in boston and ny/nj.

Several people I know here are posting crazy conspiracy on facrbook and shaming people for wearing masks and just generally believing every hairbrained conspiracy theory out there.

I have not seen a single person who does not live in Florida do this.
It’s still very early days. NY/NJ got hammered early, and the governors there did a much stricter lockdown of individuals and businesses. Things improved, and now are slowly opening. But not enough time has passed to see if the message truly sticks. The fact that there have been many BLM protests lately without social distancing and masks in NYC says that they’re not listening. But maybe they all had the virus already.

NY/NJ/CT also imposed an unenforceable 14-day self-quarantine for those traveling to or returning from many states. I know people going on summer trips, returning home and not quarantining. Time will tell.

All opening up has done has transferred responsibility from the government to the individual. The virus has not “gone away”.

Lessons in FL, TX and CA will unfortunately need to be learned locally before people use common sense.

As far as individuals shaming others for wearing masks, who cares? I do what is best for me and my family, not what some drone on Facebook says.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:57 AM

417 posts, read 263,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Sadly, you are surrounded by idiots. I'm a FL native and got outta there. There is no way to mitigate the damage of this virus when the leadership refuses to believe it's even a thing and won't do something as simple as mandate masks.
Wrong. The requirement for mandatory masks has been delegated to the local level which has a better grasp of their communities' needs. Mask are required in many regions including throughout the Tampa Bay area, Orlando, and most of South Florida (where the OP is).

Another Great Day to be in Florida!

Old 07-11-2020, 09:59 AM

78 posts, read 88,385 times
Quote:
Sadly, you are surrounded by idiots. I'm a FL native and got outta there. Still live in the south, and still have to deal with the idiocy, but at least where I live now it's pretty and amazingly I found my tribe.
There is no way to mitigate the damage of this virus when the leadership refuses to believe it's even a thing and won't do something as simple as mandate masks.
Just a little ironic that the person calling people idiots double posts.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:09 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,291,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Heres a chart to help you a state by state number of sick per 100,000 as of july 10th
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...cans-by-state/
These are cumulative cases. It's obvious that NY and most states in the Northeast are now relying on experts increasingly informed about how to deal with this novel virus. A table of current epidemic indicators per capita would show NY vastly superior to Florida. Click on both new cases and new deaths here:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/sta...deaths/florida

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/sta...eaths/new-york

Sadly, conditions in Florida continue to worsen, and there is no indication that Florida's governor intends fully to rely on experts and instead will follow the lead of his political mentor and ally President Trump. E.g., physically reopen schools despite a lack of testing of children, adequate PPE, adequate budgets, and even a lack of understanding of how the COVID-19 virus impacts children and other asymptomatic individuals.

https://www.politico.com/states/flor...s-says-1299060

Both nationally and certainly in Florida, this interview should cause great alarm:

<<WILLIAMS: For more we welcome to our broadcast Dr. Aileen Marty, she

happens to be a Professor of Infectious Diseases at Florida International

University down in Miami. She also works with the WHO. And in the past has

worked with teams responding to outbreaks across the globe....

DR. AILEEN MARTY, FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY INFECTIOUS DISEASE

WILLIAMS: Let`s talk about the young people. In many cases, they are

asymptomatic carriers, in many cases they are super spreaders. I need not

remind you there are many multi-generational households in your state. So

the governor keeps saying how young the median age is, of those testing

positive. Who`s in the hospital, though, what age group is that generally?

MARTY: In our hospitals, we`re seeing a largest portion of our hospitals

patients are in their 30s and younger, so we`re not seeing a lot of older

individuals coming to the hospital now. We`ve more or less got a handle on

what was going on in the nursing homes of which we have the highest in our

county. So it – first of all, you said they`re asymptomatic carriers.

They`re asymptomatic, as far as they can tell but when we do chest x-rays

on these people 67% show lung damage. So they may feel great, but they`re

not great. And the truth is, they`re having scar tissue forming in their

lungs that may have implications for their future. So even the young

people, even the children, when you do films, we see the damage. These are people we don`t hospitalize.>>

http://www.msnbc.com/transcripts/11t...ams/2020-07-06

Competent governments would be doing random investigations of the health consequences to asymptomatic persons, especially children, who test positive for COVID-19 before establishing policies, especially for school reopenings.

Competent governments wouldn't open schools amid high infection and transmission rates until random testing controls are in place, preferably using rapid molecular tests. The NFL players want daily rapid testing of each player, but not even the NFL can obtain sufficient molecular tests. What has the Trump administration been doing for the last half year???

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-nfls-return/

<<In a video posted last week, a Florida nurse said she breaks the oath she took “to do no harm” every time she goes to work without protection and worries constantly she may be infecting her patients, co-workers and family.
>>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-gloves-gowns/

Nations that have successfully reopened schools have suppressed COVID-19 by massive per capita testing, robust contract tracing, and even mandatory, enforced quarantines for infected individuals, mandatory mask wearing, and even enforced bans on activity until other policies can continue to suppress the virus. Such policies and suppression of COVID-19 are not present in Florida.

We may be dooming large numbers of young persons and children to lives dealing with asthma and other respiratory diseases by our failure to suppress this epidemic, as has been achieved in nations such as Korea, sometimes with relatively little damage to the national economies.

A leadership so easily divorced from reality and expert advice on a raging epidemic also will similarly respond poorly to other serious issues, which increasingly will be a concern in Florida even if this epidemic is brought under control.

BTW, Tom Hanks is warning that COVID-19 may be with us and only a robust, effective public health effort can contain. Infected earlier this year, Hanks reports his COVID-19 antibodies are waning and he is vulnerable to infection again. So "herd immunity" and even vaccines may be inadequate to suppressing this virus. We may be living with something more akin to TB, which required a massive public health control effort until the development of antibiotics. When will we have anti-viral drugs capable of eliminating COVID-19 from the body?

https://www.today.com/health/tom-han...-again-t186194

Seniors in particular don't want to live in perpetual isolation until cures are developed. We need to follow the leads of many other nations and utilize the policies that have proven successful to suppress the epidemic without vaccines and anti-viral drugs.

Last edited by WRnative; 07-11-2020 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-11-2020, 10:14 AM

31 posts, read 19,423 times
It's funny how some people react in times like these. Their true colors come out.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:20 AM

3,005 posts, read 2,319,423 times
Quote:
I moved here with an open mind. I was not expecting Miami to be like Boston or San Francisco in terms of intellectuals.

But I feel like I'm on a sinking ship being led by De Santis and the conspiracy theory/hoax believer residents of South Florida.

Meanwhile the positive test rate in Miami is 33.5 percent while in Boston its only 1.9 percent.

On a zoom call with my mostly college grad coworkers half of them were talking about the conspiracy theories (like covid was engineered by US government, or created by China to take out our economy, or Fauci and Bill Gates conspired to create a fake hoax pandemic to profit off of) they believe these things and were preaching to us on a zoom call about it.

My heart sunk. I feel I am surrounded by idiots, selfish people, people who dont care for others health, etc. This is not how people in the North East behave. New York was a huge tragedy even with a leader like Cuomo and residents taking CDC guidelines seriously.

How can Florida not end up worse than New York at this rate?
Maybe your coworkers are wondering why you aren't considering population density, the change of season, the increased testing, or the death rate that hit a plateau months ago in Florida. Or evidence that lockdowns have done little or nothing to decrease COVID deaths: you yourself say "New York was a huge tragedy even with...residents taking CDC guidelines seriously."

Intellectuals often lack common sense and a college education isn't a substitute for research and reasoning. If you are worried about this or the next pandemic, you are almost certainly better off in Florida than in a city where people live cheek by jowl, regardless of the views of your neighbors and coworkers.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:24 AM

496 posts, read 440,469 times
Meanwhile, people on Facebook talk about how excited they are to sue Ross for $75k, because an employee told them they need to wear a mask or leave, as well as post fake (?) ADA flyers about why they can't be forced to wear a mask under ADA guidelines. I just don't get this whole aversion to masks. Of course, it doesn't surprise me given who is sharing it. Seen a lot of false info posted lately, I just stay off for the most part.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:33 AM

3,005 posts, read 2,319,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Meanwhile, people on Facebook talk about how excited they are to sue Ross for $75k, because an employee told them they need to wear a mask or leave, as well as post fake (?) ADA flyers about why they can't be forced to wear a mask under ADA guidelines. I just don't get this whole aversion to masks. Of course, it doesn't surprise me given who is sharing it. Seen a lot of false info posted lately, I just stay off for the most part.
Some people are being absurd. Stores have a right to set policies. People who don't want to wear a mask can avail themselves of a number of alternatives for shopping instead making a nuisance of themselves.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:49 AM

18,208 posts, read 8,034,294 times
Quote:
Sadly, you are surrounded by idiots..
..who are also mostly yankees that moved here

so what we have is yankees complaining about how stupid yankees are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida