Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 04:57 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,872,161 times

Advertisements

I moved here with an open mind. I was not expecting Miami to be like Boston or San Francisco in terms of intellectuals.

But I feel like I'm on a sinking ship being led by De Santis and the conspiracy theory/hoax believer residents of South Florida.

Meanwhile the positive test rate in Miami is 33.5 percent while in Boston its only 1.9 percent.

On a zoom call with my mostly college grad coworkers half of them were talking about the conspiracy theories (like covid was engineered by US government, or created by China to take out our economy, or Fauci and Bill Gates conspired to create a fake hoax pandemic to profit off of) they believe these things and were preaching to us on a zoom call about it.

My heart sunk. I feel I am surrounded by idiots, selfish people, people who dont care for others health, etc. This is not how people in the North East behave. New York was a huge tragedy even with a leader like Cuomo and residents taking CDC guidelines seriously.

How can Florida not end up worse than New York at this rate?

I went to the condos shared pool last weekend and a man was in the pool about 30 years older than me and fat trying to hit on me. He said he tested positve for covid in March and believes everyone should get it to create herd immunity.

He takes no precautions and goes to Duffys regulary. I guess he doesn't care if people with cancer all die prematurely. I was revolted by this guy.

Then my only best friend down here just had a baby and she takes the baby out to restaurants and goes to bars with out masks in palm beach county.

I guess I feel like this pandemic has shown me peoples true colors. Is there anywhere in South Florida where people are not totally selfish conspiracy theory believers? Or should I just move once again?
I hate winters but I am starting to feel like I dont belong here anymore because I dont believe everything I read on facebook.

I am younger than all of these morons so I almost have no hope for meeting anyone around my age down here who isn't a complete moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 05:46 AM

6,400 posts, read 8,225,777 times
Move west/NW of the Rockies and you’ll find your tribe.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:49 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,619,360 times
The Pandemic, in case you didn't know it's all over the frikken World....Stay PUT and pray that you and your loved ones will be spared.

We are ALL inside this mess ~~~

Old 07-11-2020, 06:02 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,334,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I moved here with an open mind. I was not expecting Miami to be like Boston or San Francisco in terms of intellectuals.

But I feel like I'm on a sinking ship being led by De Santis and the conspiracy theory/hoax believer residents of South Florida.

Meanwhile the positive test rate in Miami is 33.5 percent while in Boston its only 1.9 percent.

On a zoom call with my mostly college grad coworkers half of them were talking about the conspiracy theories (like covid was engineered by US government, or created by China to take out our economy, or Fauci and Bill Gates conspired to create a fake hoax pandemic to profit off of) they believe these things and were preaching to us on a zoom call about it.

My heart sunk. I feel I am surrounded by idiots, selfish people, people who dont care for others health, etc. This is not how people in the North East behave. New York was a huge tragedy even with a leader like Cuomo and residents taking CDC guidelines seriously.

How can Florida not end up worse than New York at this rate?

I went to the condos shared pool last weekend and a man was in the pool about 30 years older than me and fat trying to hit on me. He said he tested positve for covid in March and believes everyone should get it to create herd immunity.

He takes no precautions and goes to Duffys regulary. I guess he doesn't care if people with cancer all die prematurely. I was revolted by this guy.

Then my only best friend down here just had a baby and she takes the baby out to restaurants and goes to bars with out masks in palm beach county.

I guess I feel like this pandemic has shown me peoples true colors. Is there anywhere in South Florida where people are not totally selfish conspiracy theory believers? Or should I just move once again?
I hate winters but I am starting to feel like I dont belong here anymore because I dont believe everything I read on facebook.

I am younger than all of these morons so I almost have no hope for meeting anyone around my age down here who isn't a complete moron.
I live in the Chicago suburbs. Our rate is similar to Boston"s (2.6% positivity rate in IL) and everyone is lawfully obligated to wear masks indoors, and many wear them outdoors and socially distance. I was in Florida visiting my brother in Naples in March ( when this was getting off the ground )and could not believe that there were no masks, no social distancing, NOTHING. I landed back at O'Hare and masks, and a serious tone. I seriously am afraid for Florida, idiot for governor, idiots who support him, and irresponsible people who are killing their state literally.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:28 AM

787 posts, read 770,102 times
pear If you really think moving somewhere else is going to change your live good luck . Might start buy not going to community pools .

Of course you could move to a different area of florida . More rural the better most times but finding a peach martini might be more of an issues since it a partially dry county !! NC well down the percentage list but big city's here are not safe ether . Small rural countys might make for a better place to live every where . But check it out before picking one . NO where safe , some are just safer that others , for now .

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/sta...240966171.html

Heres a chart to help you a state by state number of sick per 100,000 as of july 10th
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...cans-by-state/

Old 07-11-2020, 06:52 AM

26,821 posts, read 43,286,237 times
I get you 100% Pear Martini. A sad part of it is that South Florida overall is probably the most intellectual area of Florida at least in terms of percentage of residents with a bachelors degree or higher. Another is we're talking characteristics in general as the dumbing down of America has clearly reached enough fruition that allowed for people like Trump and DeSantis to not only get elected, but have many feel they're actually doing a good job. Unfortunately to not feel hopeless and live among more than a few with cognitive thought capability moving to places like New England, the big cities in the Northeast (NYC, DC-Baltimore, Philly, Boston), the few islands in the Southeast (Raleigh-Durham is a bright spot), Chicago or Minn-St Paul, and then as mentioned out west in places like Seattle, Portland or the SF Bay area would be your best bet. If you can't stand winter and want someplace in FL perhaps Gainesville which as a college town (UF) is densely populated enough with well-educated people who don't pretend to be more knowledgeable than scientists and health care experts during a global pandemic.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:37 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,740,268 times
I don't think the Florida problem is one of ineffective management at all. It's that far too many folks in adjacent states heard "the beach is open" and confused it with "the virus is over." You haven't seen crazy until you drive through Destin and see 100K out-of-state plates .... on every road and every restaurant, store, parking lot, beach, etc. packed with lines of tourists who seem to feel immune to COVID. (It appears the servers, waiters, etc. are NOT immune. Local rumors are that many restaurants are about ready to re-close on their own, due to illness-related staff losses).

If Florida management has a problem, it's not with residents; it's with not adequately figuring out how to deal with tourist-related COVID! These people don't get tested or hospitalized and their numbers aren't counted (here) -- until they go home. By then, the next batch of unregulated tourists has arrived here.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:01 AM

481 posts, read 500,544 times
I encourage the OP to move to California.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:07 AM

78 posts, read 88,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I live in the Chicago suburbs. Our rate is similar to Boston"s (2.6% positivity rate in IL) and everyone is lawfully obligated to wear masks indoors, and many wear them outdoors and socially distance. I was in Florida visiting my brother in Naples in March ( when this was getting off the ground )and could not believe that there were no masks, no social distancing, NOTHING. I landed back at O'Hare and masks, and a serious tone. I seriously am afraid for Florida, idiot for governor, idiots who support him, and irresponsible people who are killing their state literally.
Illinois Deaths = 7400

Florida Deaths = 4100

Illinois Population= 13 million

Florida population = 22 million

Florida is WAY outperforming Illinois.

Having said that, people are WAY over stating this virus.

Illinois and Florida combined have 11,500 deaths out of 35 MILLION people.

Or .03% of the combined population.

If you are 65+, please take necessary precautions. It is deadly.

If you aren’t? Go live your life, there’s always something that can kill you, ESPECIALLY driving a car.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:22 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,717,272 times
Short Answer: No

That's despite my disagreement with how Florida handled things early on and disagreement with the federal response. According to these articles, there's actually been an uptick in northerners trying to move to places like Tampa and Orlando to escape COVID and other crowded, big city issues. Both of those articles are paywalled, but the headline may suffice.

I'm not sure if you read the other COVID threads, but in my opinion, NYC is likely to be the worst place in America in any kind of disaster scenario due to its size, design, and population density. It doesn't matter if it is a weather event, blackout, spreadable disease, man made disaster, or jokingly an asteroid or alien invasion. Even if Rudy Giuliani was mayor, NYC would still have a lot of trouble.

Unfortunately, I discovered through social media that some of my local "friends" have fallen into the conspiracy theory hole too. Thankfully, I don't consider any of them to be close friends, but people that are part of a broader social circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida