U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2020, 02:34 PM

53 posts, read 84,540 times

Advertisements

My husband's job has gone remote permanently, meaning we can now move basically wherever we want within 4 hours of his office in Clearwater. I have family in Largo (though they plan to move back up north within a few years so I am not basing my move entirely on them), so I'm not looking to move 4 hours away, but 1-2 hours is doable. I know NOTHING about the areas outside of Pinellas County.

We've been looking in Spring Hill, and many of the houses we like end up being in very rural areas, a bit TOO rural, though we'd like a 1/2 acre yard... There are 2 high schools we would want to be zoned for, so that limits us.

Been told to stay away from Hudson, Holiday and NPR.

Our budget isn't huge, at $256k, honestly we don't want a huge mortgage. We are looking for a 4 bedroom, good schools, and some space between houses, but still shopping nearby, we don't need like...nightlife, but a movie theater, an Aldi, a Walmart, Target, etc would be good.

Looked into Inverness and it's too remote.

Not sure about Crystal River, Lecanto, etc. We haven't driven up that far, are those areas decent with conveniences as far as shopping?

Found a house or 2 in Brooksville but I was also told to stay away from Hernando HS.

We'd just stay where we are, but we need a 4 bedroom and our house value has gone up a lot in this market, we'd almost be crazy not to take advantage of that.

I get so overwhelmed just trying to find areas to look into. Our other option was to move back to New England but my husband's job is too good to walk away from and we haven't found jobs that pay similar up there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 02:37 PM

17,276 posts, read 11,387,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzle View Post
My husband's job has gone remote permanently, meaning we can now move basically wherever we want within 4 hours of his office in Clearwater. I have family in Largo (though they plan to move back up north within a few years so I am not basing my move entirely on them), so I'm not looking to move 4 hours away, but 1-2 hours is doable. I know NOTHING about the areas outside of Pinellas County.

We've been looking in Spring Hill, and many of the houses we like end up being in very rural areas, a bit TOO rural, though we'd like a 1/2 acre yard... There are 2 high schools we would want to be zoned for, so that limits us.

Been told to stay away from Hudson, Holiday and NPR.

Our budget isn't huge, at $256k, honestly we don't want a huge mortgage. We are looking for a 4 bedroom, good schools, and some space between houses, but still shopping nearby, we don't need like...nightlife, but a movie theater, an Aldi, a Walmart, Target, etc would be good.

Looked into Inverness and it's too remote.

Not sure about Crystal River, Lecanto, etc. We haven't driven up that far, are those areas decent with conveniences as far as shopping?

Found a house or 2 in Brooksville but I was also told to stay away from Hernando HS.

We'd just stay where we are but we need a 4 bedroom and our house value has gone up a lot in this market, we'd almost be crazy not to take advantage of that.

I get so overwhelmed just trying to find areas to look into. Our other option was to move back to New England but my husband's job is too good to walk away from and we haven't found jobs that pay similar up there.
East NPR is not bad. Anything around US19 from Holiday to Hudson is very bad and run down with small 2 bedroom homes that are all rented out to low lifes and druggies. Much nicer and newer homes 6 to 15 miles east of US19.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:44 PM

I've found ONE house in East NPR, almost in Trinity, in our budget. I search the whole area basically every day, lol. I'd move to Trinity but it seems houses there are pricey.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:45 PM

And there was a home in Land-O-Lakes that interested me but then I looked at property taxes and they were insane. Anyone know if all of LoL is like that?

Old 07-11-2020, 03:49 PM

22,455 posts, read 33,311,137 times
I'm not sure why the first inclination is to head that direction (Pasco County) but you might also consider the Valrico/Brandon area to the east which is well established with good schools and very family friendly.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...50000?view=map

Old 07-11-2020, 04:10 PM

Only reason I looked that way is because someone I know is moving up that way and is getting much more house for their money.
So far Pasco, Hernando and Citrus County are the only places that I can find that have a bit more land AND decent schools. We'd like 1/2 acre (or as close to it as we can get).

But that's why I'm posting, looking for ideas for other areas, I have no idea where else might meet some of my criteria. I'd love to look east or south (not too far south) so that we will still be somewhat near the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or